Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I had a local reputable honda dealer put put my new tires on and inspect it. When picking it up, I made sure to look over the rims because I know others have had the paint scratched. Sure enough they were marred on both sides on both rims. I called the little 16-18 yr old tech over to ask what happened and he continually denied doing it. Getting pissed I asked for his manager and to my surprise the guy was more than helpful. He offered to repaint them or have them powder coated. I know this paint is fragile so ide like to get then powder coated. I just don't know what color. I had my levers and shock done In Bentley Blue which is about a 90 percent match to the rims, just slightly more purple. So my question is what color should I do since I can change to whatever? Closest match in powder? Just have them repainted? I was also looking at colorshift powder coats but they all seem to have flake in them that I don't like. Are there any smooth colorshifting powder coats? Let me know you guys thoughts on how to resolve this.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What color is your bike?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Some powders are more expensive than others. Most shops do not have an unlimited supply of colors. You will have some limits when it comes to cost, availability, and what the dealer is willing to pay for. He said he would fix them, that is fair, but may not be willing to foot the bill for some crazy one off color shifting powder... And I wouldn't blame him.

If it were me, I'd go white, or black. I've never liked blurple though. White actually looks quite nice on most bikes.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
If you find a shop, and they can do some one off, or special order color... It will likely be more expensive. In that case, see if the dealer can just cut you a check for the "standard" color, and you can pay the difference.

Every coater I've used, has a catalogue of colors, they shoot different colors on different days, and buy powder in bulk. If you want something special, they will need to special order perhaps, shoot just yours, then clean their equipment. It could easily double the cost. In this case, ask for the dealer to cover a standard, single stage powder.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I can get a 2 stage color powder for $90/wheel, and a little extra for blasting. Throw in new bearings, and you are under $200 per wheel. A new set of wheels would be around $600, compared to about $300 to coat.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
He made it sound like he needs TWO wheels... A dealer will not spend $600 for a set of wheels when powder is so cheap (1/2 the cost)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got to be less sensitive to the little scratches. When I was replacing my rear tire it was a pain to do it by my self. The break caliper scratched up all kinds of things. :p

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
^ Use painter's masking tape and tape off the rims when removing calipers, especially the front.

Reactions: Th3 VVay

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like duckyboy said, there is a correct way to do things. If I did my job like that kid I wouldn't have one anymore. I don't expect the dealer to front 600 bucks, but he did say he'd do whatever I wanted to make sure I was happy. I feel like I should powder them the same color as the shock and levers since I already had them done. But given the choice I may go to something else entirely. I like black rims but I think the blurple really make the bike pop. I will post up some pictures later tonight and you guys can help me decide.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Just remember, the $600 is not what he will pay to get them in, it's what he would sell them for. His cost on the rims could be half that or even less.

It would probably cost him more to get them fixed properly, that it would be for him to just buy to new rims at his dealer cost.

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just remember, the $600 is not what he will pay to get them in, it's what he would sell them for. His cost on the rims could be half that or even less.

It would probably cost him more to get them fixed properly, that it would be for him to just buy to new rims at his dealer cost.
Well they are not a Yamaha dealer. They sell Honda and Kawi's so would they still get a discount on Yamaha rims?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Get the original rims powdercoated to your liking and be different from all the other FZs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Well they are not a Yamaha dealer. They sell Honda and Kawi's so would they still get a discount on Yamaha rims?
They should be able to get them at a dealer discounted price, maybe not as cheap as a Yamaha dealer, but way cheaper than the sell price.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'd be happy and say re-powder coating is a good agreement.

I take a picture of my wheels and time stamp it and geotag when i go to my tire place - the last time i sat and waited for him and the guy doing them is a great business owner so i wasn't worried but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I agree that a simple refinish similar to the original is reasonable, but don't try to take advantage of the situation by requesting some fancy colorshift powder job. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts