Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short - local dealer changed tyres on my 09 after I got a flat.

I get the bike back and notice they've moved my brake lever setting. During the ride home I notice it feels like the lever is engaging further out than usual.
Have also noticed that I can stop from 60kph with normal braking levels without triggering the front brake switch. Which is obviously not correct.

Any thoughts? I'm no bike mechanic but everything looks undamaged. The calliper bolt heads looks like the pulled the callipers off to remove the wheel. Brakes don't feel spongy. Harder if anything.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Possibles:
Lever > They adjusted the lever to their liking for a *ahem* "test ride" and didn't set it back the way you had it.
Is the adjustment wheel at a different # now? Easy fix. Push the lever away from the grip and rotate it to a diff. # setting, making sure the number desired is right at the triangle shaped pointer.
Light switch > They picked the front of the bike up with straps around the handlebars and a hoist/come-along to change the front tire and the strap dislodged or broke the brake light wire.
See FJRider and then Beck's advice.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
962 Posts
Try pressing the rear brake. If the brake light doesn't seem to come on - then you may have a switch stuck on, not off. I've had a couple of bikes come back from different dealers that way. Try both brakes and listen to see if you hear the switch for one. If you don't hear it for one - then loosen it's adjuster. Check it's wiring connections also...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, they refused to admit it could be anything below the handlebars causing the issue.

Said it was my levers. I have FP Racing levers on it that I love.

They took it out back to check it out while I went to find a MT-09 on the floor to compare stuff with. I came back to them having done this to my brake lever:

So yeah, not happy. They've ground down the switch side and deepened the plunger hole so the switch comes on sooner!!!

The brake lights worked fine. I just had to squeeze the lever a lot more to get the switch to engage. Past the point where I'd be pulling them on to stop normally.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The front brake lever is not making contact to the light switch contact on the housing. You can adjust yourself, usually by bending the clip a little or take it back to the dealer to adjust.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Well, they refused to admit it could be anything below the handlebars causing the issue.

Said it was my levers. I have FP Racing levers on it that I love.

They took it out back to check it out while I went to find a MT-09 on the floor to compare stuff with. I came back to them having done this to my brake lever:

So yeah, not happy. They've ground down the switch side and deepened the plunger hole so the switch comes on sooner!!!

The brake lights worked fine. I just had to squeeze the lever a lot more to get the switch to engage. Past the point where I'd be pulling them on to stop normally.
Wow.....yeah, stay away from that place......they went straight for the grinder...must be some real hacks working there

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lesson learned.. Tool up and leave them jokers alone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts