Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know the low and high beams on our bikes suck, the passing beam feature is more of what I call my turn/apex beam. 95% of the time I ride when its dark out and use the passing beam trigger so I can see where I'm going mid turn!

I recently bought a DDM 55W HID Hi/Low kit and have installed the exact same kit on my DRZ SM in the past, which I'm pleased with the performance. I plan on installing the latest kit in the 9 this weekend however I would like some suggestions on where to stash the ballast and controller that is out of sight and not on the side of the tank. Maybe on the inside of the frame rails, etc? I've searched for a detailed install here and beyond with no luck. Anyone here done this same mod and willing to offer up some tips and maybe even a detailed install guide with pictures?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hmm, hard to imagine a place under the tank for something that big. Have you looked under the seat? There is space in front of the battery, under the front of the seat. I don't know, does that cause a problem with wire length?

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Under seat mounting would almost for sure cause issues with wire length Bob, although I'm not familiar with his specific model/brand. Most of the HID ballasts have pretty short wires from the ballast/igniter to the bulb socket....usually around a foot or so in length.

I put in a Cree LED light on my bike and mounted the ballast/power supply under the triple tree, using the horn mounting bracket, and relocated the horn to the left fake air intake. I had to make a little aluminum mounting plate for it, and got the idea from FJRider, who did a write up on it.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/1015-cree-led-headlight-modification.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I found the perfect realestate, under the seat in between the battery and the tank, inside the tray. I test fitted the ballast and hi/low controller and they would fit snuggly in there. I would have to extend a total of 7 wires, and run them on the inside of the frame rail and follow the path of the cables out to the headlight. Seems like this will be the cleanest install. I wonder if extending the wires from the ballast to the bulb will be a problem? Anyone?
I'll probably start tackling this on Monday after my weekend rides. With the tank off I have no excuse not to have Nick flash the ECU! So I'll most likely send that out Tuesday after the HID install.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The only thing that would cause a problem with the tray is a Power Commander as they designed all of the cable lengths for it to go in the forward tray. Ask me how I know? I had a Fuzeblock in that very spot.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing that would cause a problem with the tray is a Power Commander as they designed all of the cable lengths for it to go in the forward tray. Ask me how I know? I had a Fuzeblock in that very spot.
No plans for a PC any time soon, so I should be good... As long as extending the wires from the ballast to the bulbs isn't an issue. i.e., shorting the bulb, melting wires, etc.. I suspect its a non-issue, however worth asking you guys.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Isn't the wiring that goes from the ballast to the bulb a heavily insulated wire on your HID setup? If I remember correctly (and lately that's not always the case), when the HIDs are turned on there is a high voltage applied to the bulb to strike the arc...something in the neighborhood of 4000 Volts for a split second. Regular automotive type wire doesn't have the insulation value needed to sustain that high voltage I'm thinking.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMAG0807.jpg
Well, glad I asked! Here's shot of the connections I will have to extend. The appear to be no more than something like a 12v 16 gauge

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2 cents:
I did a similar install on my naked fz1. I used extension cables for the HID to get it under the seat. That way it was easy to change a ballast if it became necessary. I ordered those cables on eBay. Didn't have to cut or rewrire anything. Extremely clean installation

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 2 cents:
I did a similar install on my naked fz1. I used extension cables for the HID to get it under the seat. That way it was easy to change a ballast if it became necessary. I ordered those cables on eBay. Didn't have to cut or rewrire anything. Extremely clean installation
Were the extension cables anything special? Or simply a standard 12v 14-18 gauge automotive grade wiring with plugs?

BTW, went to St Lucia last summer, loved it everywhere outside of the tourist trap villages, La Haut Plantation was the ish! Rented a Jimny and went after it, explored the entire island 3 times over. Riding in the mountains must be AMAZING!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, need to buy a HID specific extension cable, the ballast to bulb rating is 600v 125c.. Regular 12v automotive grade wiring will not do the trick, looks like I may not get the install done this holiday weekend.. Bummer.. I'll post back once I get an extension and wrap up the install.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Were the extension cables anything special? Or simply a standard 12v 14-18 gauge automotive grade wiring with plugs?

BTW, went to St Lucia last summer, loved it everywhere outside of the tourist trap villages, La Haut Plantation was the ish! Rented a Jimny and went after it, explored the entire island 3 times over. Riding in the mountains must be AMAZING!!

**** The extension cables are specifically HID extension cables they are plug and play. (Example: eBay item number:290846051805). ****

Glad you had a great time. Link up whenever you can get back here so I can arrange for a free bike so you can ride with myself and some buddies. Those mountains and twisties continue to bring lots of weekend pleasure. We have a few off-road trails that bring variety to the riding experiences (I have a different bike for that ofcourse) :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey after installing the hid hi/low kit did you have any problems with the lights working at all? Did any lights appear on the dash that weren't there before? My main concern is if the high beam flash trigger still worked also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would not extend any hid cables. these things ignite at ~23 kV, those cables are not meant to be extended. also i would not exceed 50 watts on the headlight, since a couple of people already experienced melting the glass.
But i would go for a more compact hid ballast, like this. However, this is only a low-beam kit, so you will have to find a dual beam kit with a compact ballast.
I have one of these ballast units here, it is 3x2x1"

Edit: check this one on ebay, 270686915557

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think I found the perfect realestate, under the seat in between the battery and the tank, inside the tray. I test fitted the ballast and hi/low controller and they would fit snuggly in there. I would have to extend a total of 7 wires, and run them on the inside of the frame rail and follow the path of the cables out to the headlight. Seems like this will be the cleanest install. I wonder if extending the wires from the ballast to the bulb will be a problem? Anyone?
I'll probably start tackling this on Monday after my weekend rides. With the tank off I have no excuse not to have Nick flash the ECU! So I'll most likely send that out Tuesday after the HID install.
I'd be concerned about the 25000 volt starting pulse and the 85 volt running voltage if you extend the cable.
Make sure you use the correct cable and connectors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts