Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked out the DC motorcycle show (Washington, DC | motorcycleshows.com) today and saw all the new bikes for 2014. My buddy and I spoke to almost all the bike vendors and the cool thing was that all of them wanted to hear more about the FZ09. After sharing the typical suspension complaints, everyone we spoke to agreed it is a heck of a bike. The funny thing was even when talking to the team at the Ducati area, they all seemed genuinely very impressed with the FZ.

Overall, I asked my buddy who has a Z1000 what he thought the most interesting bike at the show was and he said it was probably the FZ09 and a custom AWD bike...I agreed. BMW had a new bike there, the Nine T, it caught some eyes but had no price and my assumption is that it will likely be at least 50% more than the FZ - I wasn't impressed.

Spoke to a dude that works for Nitron Shocks at the show and he said they have an FZ09 shock available and new fork cartridges should be available in the next 4 weeks. Anyone know anything about these shocks? Penske vs Ohlins vs Nitron?

Love my FZ, next on my shopping list is the rear shock, I think I will end up with Nick's tuned Penske.

-Paul

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
You will have NO regrets with a Penske from Nick. The setup on mine was extremely close and only required a little additional tweaking.......that's nice.

·
Registered
221 Posts
are you in the DC area? Im in Ashburn. Graphite/Blue FZ

Sounded like the show was pretty good. I decided not to go, since I already have a new bike

·
Registered
651 Posts
The local Ohlins agent in NZ has told me the Nitron product is very impressive.This coming from a guy who,if you cut him in half,would have a yellow spring running through him.
Quote: "Quality is absolutely top notch, in many areas exceeding Ohlins and performance is as good as, if not better. We have forged an excellent relationship with this company and the owner of the company is coming to NZ for a week next month. He is very much a hands on engineer preoccupied with building excellent product."

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think the Nine T beemer was $15K. It was a nice small bike, but sitting on it, the reach to the bars was just a bit too far for me.
One guy was looking at the seat, which was quite loose. Thought it was going to fall off. Typical German engineering.

Checked out the DC motorcycle show (Washington, DC | motorcycleshows.com) today and saw all the new bikes for 2014. My buddy and I spoke to almost all the bike vendors and the cool thing was that all of them wanted to hear more about the FZ09. After sharing the typical suspension complaints, everyone we spoke to agreed it is a heck of a bike. The funny thing was even when talking to the team at the Ducati area, they all seemed genuinely very impressed with the FZ.

Overall, I asked my buddy who has a Z1000 what he thought the most interesting bike at the show was and he said it was probably the FZ09 and a custom AWD bike...I agreed. BMW had a new bike there, the Nine T, it caught some eyes but had no price and my assumption is that it will likely be at least 50% more than the FZ - I wasn't impressed.

Spoke to a dude that works for Nitron Shocks at the show and he said they have an FZ09 shock available and new fork cartridges should be available in the next 4 weeks. Anyone know anything about these shocks? Penske vs Ohlins vs Nitron?

Love my FZ, next on my shopping list is the rear shock, I think I will end up with Nick's tuned Penske.

-Paul

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think the Nine T beemer was $15K. It was a nice small bike, but sitting on it, the reach to the bars was just a bit too far for me.
One guy was looking at the seat, which was quite loose. Thought it was going to fall off. Typical German engineering.
Speaking of loose seats.... Does anybody else's 09 seat move around fairly easily? All of the connection points appear to be engaged so, hopefully, that is normal to have some "play".

·
Registered
276 Posts
Speaking of loose seats.... Does anybody else's 09 seat move around fairly easily? All of the connection points appear to be engaged so, hopefully, that is normal to have some "play".
Yep, it is loose on mine too. But it is fine with weight on it.
I more so would like to mod a push button were the key lock is. That key insertion and turning it is for the birds and I removed the flap protector with the free tail conversion....getting dirty there too I suppose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts