Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I went this past OCTOBER, was my first time. They should Re-Name it "Harley Week" IMHO.

Was tens of thousands of Harley's, and seemed like a few dozen Sport Bikes. I had seen enough after an hour but stayed overnight since it had been a three hour drive to get there.:(

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A long the lines of what Steve said, I wouldn't count on seeing too many FZ's there. But if you like cruisers you will be in good company.

·
Registered
654 Posts
i used to live about 45 ,minutes from Daytona, bictoberfest (in October) is Harley / cruiser oriented. now bike week (or as the locals call it, trailer week) in march is also cruiser / Harley oriented up on main st or A1A, but if you go to the speedway you will find all the sportbikes.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I used to go to Bike Week when I rode BMW's. The Space Coast BMW club put on a great rally, back in the day. We would go for the racing, which AMA destroyed, and the nice people, which the Cruiser/Harley groups destroyed. So in a word no. Also the weather can be kind of iffy in FLA in March. Kind of like Sturgis once you have gone, you wish you had not.

Ride Safe.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
i used to live about 45 ,minutes from Daytona, bictoberfest (in October) is Harley / cruiser oriented. now bike week (or as the locals call it, trailer week) in march is also cruiser / Harley oriented up on main st or A1A, but if you go to the speedway you will find all the sportbikes.
I was AT the speedway in October for two days. You're correct; There were a "few" Sportbikes, but not more than 25 compared with the Thousands of Loser Cruiser's.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I was AT the speedway in October for two days. You're correct; There were a "few" Sportbikes, but not more than 25 compared with the Thousands of Loser Cruiser's.
that because the Daytona 200 and other smaller motorcycle races in Daytona occur in march not October. its one of the few things I miss about living down there. :cool:

By the way the DMG killed AMA racing but its no longer controlling it, the new group is headed by wayne rainy and backed by dorna, so crossing fingers but ama superbike should return to being a direct pipeline to wsbk or motogp in the near the future like it used to be

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is there no Daytona 200 this year? I didn't see it on the MotoAmerica schedule. Dirty rotten DMG so and so's........

·
Registered
833 Posts
I believe there is a 200, but No TV. You have to stream it live...if were to ever go it would be for the Directors and the 200. Not into hanging out with the "bikers"

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
that because the Daytona 200 and other smaller motorcycle races in Daytona occur in march not October. its one of the few things I miss about living down there. :cool:

By the way the DMG killed AMA racing but its no longer controlling it, the new group is headed by wayne rainy and backed by dorna, so crossing fingers but ama superbike should return to being a direct pipeline to wsbk or motogp in the near the future like it used to be
Is the Daytona 200 THE Race to see that week...???

·
Registered
654 Posts
steve at one time it was and I hope it becomes so again. the 1000s got enough speed on the nascar part of the track to call it unsafe so in more recent years the 200 was changed to 600s, but the group that did all that is no longer controlling the ama series. this is the first year under new control so only time will tell. if you buy tickets for the 200 you get to see all the races that day, we used to make a day or weekend of it and camp in the infield, was a blast. I seriously miss not being next to a track used on either an ama, wsbk, or motogp series anymore. as for the best race of the day, the 1000s are the fastest, but in years past bmw had something called a boxer cup, nobody was fast enough to run away at the front, they bolted armor onto the heads of their bikes and used them to push each other out of the way, by far the most entertaining of the days races to me

·
Registered
654 Posts
just read the article about the 200 you posted, looks like motoamerica concurs that the track needs safety upgrades before they put the 1000s back on it, and the track wont do it because they claim the needed changes will negatively affect nascar. ive seen riders asses literally come out of the seat as they cross the part of nascar turn 4 with the tunnel under it to get to the infield

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
It's a shame that for those yet to see a 200, it will never be as it was. When they changed the track configuration,
it was over for me.

To stand at the West Horseshoe was a glorious thing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I Will be at Daytona for the supercross event for work. I am taking my bike with me. My excuse was that need to attend the GNCC event just north of Daytona. Hence I am taking my bike to ride up there. I was just curious if I should try hitting up any of the bike week events.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It's a shame that for those yet to see a 200, it will never be as it was. When they changed the track configuration,
it was over for me.

To stand at the West Horseshoe was a glorious thing.
there was such a good view from our old spot 2nd to last corner in the international horseshoe (I think that's the west one) it was the big passing zone before they roar back out into nascar turn 1.......anyway the track made it into the spot for the teams to hang their pitboard signs for the riders.......only moved us about 50' but it was the difference between having the passing right in front of you and having a view like you were watching on tv

Shawn00sa - there is literally nothing sportbike oriented once you leave the speedway. if you have never been its still worth cruising around for the experience but it will be you in a sea of cruisers

Reactions: Shawn00sa

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
there was such a good view from our old spot 2nd to last corner in the international horseshoe (I think that's the west one) it was the big passing zone before they roar back out into nascar turn 1.......anyway the track made it into the spot for the teams to hang their pitboard signs for the riders.......only moved us about 50' but it was the difference between having the passing right in front of you and having a view like you were watching on tv

Shawn00sa - there is literally nothing sportbike oriented once you leave the speedway. if you have never been its still worth cruising around for the experience but it will be you in a sea of cruisers
Exactly. I'd never seen so many HD's in one square mile......nauseating. I lasted 24 hours.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts