Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the Southeast will ride to bike week? Planning to ride up there to go hang out on one of the 2 Saturday or Sunday.

Not planning on going to drunk fest with bunch of posers trailing there H-D from Miami but usually around the Speedway and Wing House its pretty cool and more SS oriented.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Man, I wish I could get out of Idaho and join you guys in Florida. I miss Florida. Hell, right now I miss the sun.

The thought of guys trailering their Harley's to motorcycle rallys reminds me of Sturgis out here. Maybe they are afraid of their junk bikes breaking down?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have never been. All the pictures I see looks like stop and go traffic with a bunch of loud Harleys. Not exactly my idea of fun... What is it actually like for those who have been previous years?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never been. All the pictures I see looks like stop and go traffic with a bunch of loud Harleys. Not exactly my idea of fun... What is it actually like for those who have been previous years?
Ya you right if you go close to the beach you end up in stop and go traffic next to all those wanna be trailering their bike from Miami. But if you stick around the speedway there's a lot of SS bikes and normal rider. Plenty of organize ride and dealer demo too. Going to meet with a forum buddy from the FZ1 house.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The sport bike races start on Friday March 14 (Daytona 200 is on Saturday). Planning on riding from Tampa Bay Fri morning, races, and riding back Saturday. Tickets are $20, not sure if I'll stay for the 200. This is something I've been wanting to do for a while, and if we can do a meet up, would be even better.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
If you go don't miss the Short Track races on Thursday and Friday night.
Before the races they let the fans into the pits and you won't regret the whole experience.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Every serious rider owes it to themselves to go at least once. My wife and I went in 1983 on my XS750. We carried camping gear and stayed at a KOA about 20 miles south of Daytona Beach. It was a real spectacle and standing right beside racers doing 180 mph was impressive. Nowadays traveling that far takes a lot of thought. It's a lot easier to restrict myself to events in Texas and the adjacent states.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Where is the best place to sit for the AMA superbike/supersport races?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every serious rider owes it to themselves to go at least once. My wife and I went in 1983 on my XS750. We carried camping gear and stayed at a KOA about 20 miles south of Daytona Beach. It was a real spectacle and standing right beside racers doing 180 mph was impressive. Nowadays traveling that far takes a lot of thought. It's a lot easier to restrict myself to events in Texas and the adjacent states.
I went to Daytona few time just for the day. The problem with Daytona there's no where to ride and it end up to be a big drinkfest with way to many wanna be trailering there bike. I went to Laconia bike week 2 years ago. That is some cool $hit. Some of the most beautiful rode to ride on a bike I found so far. I rode from West palm (no trailer) on my FZ6R. We were about 12 rider together and I had the only rice rocket. I learn some of their respect when I show up from Florida. LOL If I had enough days off I'll do it again this year...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I went twice and avoided the Harley mess altogether. I caught the Gatorback Enduro, Gatorback MX Nationals, drag races, dirt track, Supercross, Formula Extreme, Supersport, and the 200. Then I got the hell out of dodge. They are going back to Superbikes for the 200, so it should be more exciting than it has been in recent years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I went a few years ago, I think it was mainly a general admission ticket that got you into the grandstands. You should be able to move around at will because only about 1 in 20 seats will be used. It's cool to get down near the track to see the bikes going by at 190 mph. You can't turn your head fast enough. However, for best view, go up high where you can see most of the track. Binoculars are a help!

Mike

·
Registered
260 Posts
Been to Daytona many times over the years. Coming from the north, even if you have good weather when you leave, you never know what it will be like next week when you come home, could be snowing. That's why I put my bike in the back of my pickup and drive there. DNF, I stopped going when the superbikes stopped running in the 200, just like I stopped going to Laconia when the superbikes stopped racing there. Bring back superbikes to the northeast too.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The second time I went they ran Supersport. It was boring. The first time was when Russell had his nose broken in a bar fight.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmmm, I went once and there were a lot of Harley's, mostly trailered in and they made up most of the grid, it was fun to sit in the sand and watch them go by. It's to bad a lot of young guys (and old) don't know how prominent Harley was in racing of all kinds back in the day. Enduros and scrambles were contested by 90% Harley, hard to believe, until you see the old pix and race results. My dad ran the Daytona enduro (Handlebar enduro? late '50's) on a Triumph against a lot of Harleys and the paper clippings wouldn't even call the Triumph by name, it was a 'European sport model', figures huh?

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
I always liked the infield there at the entrance to the West Horseshoe. And the dinky little infield grandstand there in the bend before the West Horseshoe.
I haven't been since the Superbikes quit running the full course. I may run down for the day on Saturday.

~fish

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was up there today, same as it is every year. Park, walk up this side, have a beer, grab some carnival food, walk up the other side of the street, watch a few minutes of the world's ugliest wet tee, saddle up and head home. Is always the same every year. Tomorrow I am doing the Sam Swope ride and hanging at Seminole Hardly watching the Foghat concert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts