Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MT09 Street
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is anyone subscribed to dave moss tuning forum? is it really good? ive seens some of his videos in youtube and they are really good but most them are teaser videos to try to get you to subscribed to his forum.

i'm trying to overhaul my front and rear ohlins suspension and i think it would cost me around $600 bucks. if i can use that 600 to get the necessary tools to do the complete overhaul of my 2007 r6 trackbike suspension with the help of dave moss mechanic "how to" videos, that would be great. i would rather do that and learn something and do it myself, than just sending my bike to a shop.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
He knows his stuff. But make sure you ask for street set up info. Unless you want it for track use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are serious about your suspension, it is awesome. You don't need it forever but a lot of great info. On youtube, Max McAllister & Traxxion Dynamics. The video series is Suspension for Mortals. Its free and amazing info. Most guys know almost nothing about suspension. Dave Moss said something like 75% of bikes traded in have stock suspension setting still. lol

·
Registered
2018 MT09 Street
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just sub to his freemium membership lol. i'll look around and see what i can find.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you are serious about your suspension, it is awesome. You don't need it forever but a lot of great info. On youtube, Max McAllister & Traxxion Dynamics. The video series is Suspension for Mortals. Its free and amazing info. Most guys know almost nothing about suspension. Dave Moss said something like 75% of bikes traded in have stock suspension setting still. lol
The suspension for mortals videos on youtube has a lot of valuable info. Max does a great job explaining a lot of details that Dave Moss doesn't!

·
Registered
206 Posts
i have a remote tuning session booked with him on monday :)
With Dave Moss or Max McAllistar? Watching a lot of Dave Moss videos on youtube he starts explaining things and then edits out the important details which I'm assuming you get if you pay for his subscription. It's smart for his business and everything but when there's a whole motorcycle community sharing information I'll just keep searching for free answers, lol.

·
Vendor
1,257 Posts
dave moss
With Dave Moss or Max McAllistar? Watching a lot of Dave Moss videos on youtube he starts explaining things and then edits out the important details which I'm assuming you get if you pay for his subscription. It's smart for his business and everything but when there's a whole motorcycle community sharing information I'll just keep searching for free answers, lol.

With Dave Moss

be careful, i know from tuning there is a whole community sharing a ton of misinformation. There is honestly more misinformation when it comes to tuning then true information and if you do not know its impossible to separate the two. I am sure suspension adjustment is just as bad if not worse

Id rather spend a couple dollars and get what I know is correct information

·
Registered
206 Posts
dave moss

With Dave Moss

be careful, i know from tuning there is a whole community sharing a ton of misinformation. There is honestly more misinformation when it comes to tuning then true information and if you do not know its impossible to separate the two. I am sure suspension adjustment is just as bad if not worse

Id rather spend a couple dollars and get what I know is correct information
I definitely understand there's a lot of misinformation out there but that's not to say someone isn't willing to sell you that misinformation also. Obviously when it comes to Dave Moss you can't really go wrong as he is one of the suspension gurus of the motorcycle community but I think trial and error goes a long way in learning what suspension settings work for you (as long as the error doesn't result in a crash). Also every bike is different in it's own way, so what someone knows about one bike might not work on another. It's interesting how some bikes have the same travel front/back and then theres the MT-09 with more travel in the front than the rear. The Z900 is the opposite with more suspension travel in the rear. Lots of information out there talking about using 30/35mm sag for street but than other information that uses percentage of total travel for setting sag. It's hard to say which info is right or wrong depending on what bike it's applied to and the application the bike is being used in. I've been focusing on what my free sag is and the MT-09 has me scratching my head as my front end has almost 20mm of free sag with the preload adjusters cranked all the way in. Everything I've been reading about free sag insinuates that I should have no free sag with the preload maxed out so are the stock springs really that soft? Did Yamaha not see a problem with this???

I also ride mountain bikes and dirt bikes so the more I learn about suspension the more it helps me in all of these applications which is of huge benefit.

·
Vendor
1,257 Posts
in my experience having a good starting point is very important for suspension set up. Sure i may find i like a different setting but im 100% confident Dave will get me close and i can play from there.

A bike with the suspension set correctly is so much more enjoyable and fun to ride not to mention safe. Getting a good baseline is well worth the $$ imo

yes the stock springs are that soft and the dampening is woefully inadequate

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Dave has tuned a few bikes for me. When he did my r1 it changed the whole bike. Felt so much more stabile and handled so much better. For $60 that he charges I believe it's the best $ you can spend on upgrading your bike. I have ktech suspension all around on the fz with the settings tuned to ktech specs besides being 1 spring rate lower than they recommended as I ride mostly on the street and she handles beautifully

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I've been focusing on what my free sag is and the MT-09 has me scratching my head as my front end has almost 20mm of free sag with the preload adjusters cranked all the way in. Everything I've been reading about free sag insinuates that I should have no free sag with the preload maxed out so are the stock springs really that soft? Did Yamaha not see a problem with this???
I have 29mm unladen sag, 43mm laden sag - .88 springs for 86kg's.
Why do you want less than 20mm unladen? That's too little.
Focus on laden sag, 40 - 45mm.

Reactions: Keef

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have 29mm unladen sag, 43mm laden sag - .88 springs for 86kg's.
Why do you want less than 20mm unladen? That's too little.
Focus on laden sag, 40 - 45mm.
I've read numerous sources suggesting optimum free sag or what you call unladen sag is 10mm. When I measure the rear I have 11mm of free sag and 22mm in the front. My preload on the forks is screwed all the way down which I believe isn't optimum for suspension travel either. Any spring rate calculator I've used also recommends a firmer spring for my weight in the front so all signs are pointing to the stock springs being too soft. What sources do you have to support having free sag greater than 20mm? Max McAllister recommends 10mm in his suspension for mortals series and Dave Moss has said 5-10mm in one of his youtube videos talking about free sag.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Sources - Ohlins, Nitron, Racetech, our local Ohlins and Nitron dealer, various other suspension experts I've read over the years. Not to mention setting up my own bikes over that time.
Bear in mind that front sag is always greater than rear. Your two examples will be rear sag figures.
Also bear in mind that street figures for sag are always greater than track figures.
Quote from Nitron shock manual, unladen sag should be 5 - 15mm, generally 15% of total travel. Laden 30 - 40mm or around 25% of total travel. Although I have also heard as much as 30% of total travel being used. Nitron race specs are 25 - 35mm laden.
Andreani spring/cartridge specs, unladen 25 - 30mm, laden 40 - 45mm.

·
Vendor
1,257 Posts
went well, it was for my v4. We made some changes im going to try them this week up in the mountains and then i am going to report back with him what i found and some changes may be made.

it wasnt a classroom session it was to set up my bike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts