Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Months ago, I posted a picture of my newly purchased FZ-09 with my daughter Olivia aboard...

She decided to become a rider, and last Friday we brought home a 2005 Honda CRF100F to help achieve her goal. I took the following picture immediately after unloading "Middie" (shortened from the lacrosse "midfielder" position). Olivia is an avid lacrosse player and, not surprisingly, her position is usually midfielder. Not to worry, her gear is ready to go, whether for lacrosse or motorcycle riding!

·
Registered
294 Posts
put some jeans on that girl...she doesn't want scuffed knees when she's wearing dresses and going on dates. (THE HORROR!!!) ;)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Nice buy. I just bought (well traded two glocks) a dr200se for my 11 year old son. How old in your daughter?

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
663 Posts
She looks like the kid on Little Miss Sunshine. :) I see she kept true to form with the family color choice; red. Looking good, have fun.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Way to go redeye. I got my first bike when I turned ten. I had to earn mine. Good training for whatever she ends up deciding to ride. Need to spend time with your children while you still can. She is a luck girl. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the likes and positive comments. Olivia is now 13 and has ridden as a passenger with me since she was eight years old. She had been somewhat reluctant about learning to ride when the subject last came up at least two years ago. I told her that was fine; we ride because we want to ride; no one makes that decision for us.

Earlier this year, she mentioned learning to ride. I moved somewhat slowly, seeing if she was having any second thoughts about her newly found interest. She isn't yet tall enough for our three CRF150Fs so, to make a long story short, we quickly focused on the CRF100F.

Over Memorial Day weekend, Olivia took particular interest in preparing to load the three CRF150Fs. She and her sisters (15 and 18) set up the motorcycles in the truck for safe travel. We hauled the motorcycles over 400 miles during Memorial Day weekend, so they seem to have done a fine job! No, I didn't let them sit on the motorcycles as we traveled down the road... ;) They have also become very helpful with oil changes, chain lube, identifying parts for repair/replacement, plastic welding, etc.

I help push the motorcycles up the ramp, but at that point I show them how to prepare the loops and tie-downs, letting them work as a team as three motorcycles share space in the truck bed. In the garage is a receiver hitch mounted motorcycle carrier. My Dodge Ram handles nicely with three motorcycles in the truck bed, and I'm hopeful that the CRF100F on the receiver hitch carrier will work OK. We'll surely get a lot of looks from other drivers on the highway hauling four motorcycles. We got a lot of 'thumbs-up' from drivers passing us on the highway with three. Some drivers would stay in the passing lane for quite some time, just behind my truck, for a good look at the Hondas.

One of the great things about riding off-road motorcycles is I have never seen teenagers put down their personal electronics so quickly. When it's time to ride the motorcycles, everything else suddenly becomes unimportant. I truly enjoy motorcycling, but riding with them makes everything worth the effort.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh goodness, 3 girls. Your the man!
Three daughters who I have mentioned, at least :). My oldest daughter is almost 21 but fully involved in a college internship. She'll almost certainly attend graduate school, and I would not be the least bit surprised if she ends up in medical school.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Three daughters who I have mentioned, at least :). My oldest daughter is almost 21 but fully involved in a college internship. She'll almost certainly attend graduate school, and I would not be the least bit surprised if she ends up in medical school.
:shocked::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
4 girls???.....Wow, you're a better man than me.. I have one...also 21 years old, and I dont know if I could deal with another, let alone 3 more...:)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thursday, July 10, was one of those wonderfully memorable days. Dad decided to take a vacation day, and everyone else except my two youngest daughters had to work. What shall we do?

Hmmm... Here's a neat idea... Motorcycles!

I found a place with several acres of reasonably smooth, flat surfaces, ideal for a new rider like my youngest daughter. Her next older sister was fine with the plan, so we loaded the truck with three of our four off-road motorcycles. For several hours, we reviewed brakes, throttle, clutch, etc. We progressed through the friction zone, walking the motorcycle in first gear with the engine idling, riding in first gear without shifting, approaching and clearing obstacles, riding and shifting, and everything else I could think of to help a novice rider.

The following video shows Olivia during the "riding in first gear without shifting" phase while becoming more comfortable with the throttle, with Mimi occasionally appearing. Not long after, all three of us were riding together. That was the best part of the day.

Definitely want to get her some better riding footwear, but she is ready for the next opportunity to ride!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Friday morning, and I was off from work. Relax, sleep in, and enjoy a quiet day...

Or, after learning my youngest daughter was the only one home on Friday, wake before dawn, load two motorcycles and all of the necessary gear in the back of my Dodge Ram, and head out for some trail riding...

Decisions, decisions. What shall I do? Once again, motorcycling wins!

Unloaded, and waiting for their riders to gear up...

Trail's end, and a photo op moment...

Our destination was the Piney Mountain ORV trail in Garrett County, Maryland, a mile or two from the West Virginia state line. Piney Mountain is the shortest of several ORV trails in Western Maryland, and a reasonable next step for my youngest daughter, Olivia. She is a fairly new rider, and the trail starts out as a gravelly, dirt-packed trail with almost no obstacles or obstructions. The farthest trail section is slightly more challenging, but the obstacles are very modest. This was an excellent opportunity for the next step in motorcycle control, as the tires frequently shift left and right slightly while traversing the few locations where one to two inch loose stones appear on the trail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts