Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting website tracking the Coronavirus spread.

Was curious about the comparison of this virus vs. SARS: (So far)
"SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, infected 8,096 people worldwide with approximately 774 official SARS-related deaths. SARS had a fatality rate of 9.6% compared to the fatality rate of 2.2% for the coronavirus. "

1580418775233.png

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Common flu affects hundreds of thousands or millions of the worlds 7.7 billion people every day. More die from it every year than have died of this virus.
The Spanish flu killed more people in 25 days than AIDS did in 25 years. 20 million died between 1918 and 1922. Mostly aged between 20 and 40.
50 to 100 million have died from it to date.
We have truly become snowflakes.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Since the virus was discovered around 150,000 people have died in traffic accidents. Perhaps we should quarantine a lot of crap drivers?
That's 900 people out of 1.7 billion in China. And, that virus death toll will still be less than common flu.
This isn't a nice bug, but far from the plague the media are beating it up as.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The difference is, we know drivers are bad, and there are lots of things we can do about it in advance to protect ourselves. We know about the flu, and we have a shot for that.

Nobody knows how bad this thing is going to get. Should we just go about our business and pretend everything's fine?

I'm not saying we need to lock ourselves in a clean room with an oxygen mask, but geez, is it a big deal to take a few basic precautions? And just maybe postpone that trip to Wuhan for now?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
The difference is, we know drivers are bad, and there are lots of things we can do about it in advance to protect ourselves. We know about the flu, and we have a shot for that.

Nobody knows how bad this thing is going to get. Should we just go about our business and pretend everything's fine?

I'm not saying we need to lock ourselves in a clean room with an oxygen mask, but geez, is it a big deal to take a few basic precautions? And just maybe postpone that trip to Wuhan for now?
That'll be all of China then.
If you're youngish, in reasonably good health and practice basic hygiene you're quite safe. If you live in the West you're even safer.
Living near a hospital helps too.
What we're not told, is how many of the dead in China lived in small towns with minimal health services and a long way from effective hospital care. We in the west seem to think of China in our terms, but it's very different in culture and attitude, not to mention land area and population. Traditional "medicine" is still widely practiced there.

I'm hot on this because it's typical media hype.
How many people know of the 80 dead babies in Samoa due to measles? For their population that was more of a tragedy than this virus, and it was aggravated by those crazed anti vaxxer lunatics and the morons who believe their crap.
Yet it got minimal coverage outside of OZ and NZ.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I find this topic to be very interesting. The world health organization is now saying this virus is a "grave threat" globally. Myself I dont think it is at that point now but I believe the potential is there either for this virus or some other future super virus to become a pandemic/global threat.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'm hot on this because it's typical media hype.
How many people know of the 80 dead babies in Samoa due to measles? For their population that was more of a tragedy than this virus, and it was aggravated by those crazed anti vaxxer lunatics and the morons who believe their crap.
Yet it got minimal coverage outside of OZ and NZ.
NZ metal band shephards reign did a song about it singing in Samoan.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
NZ metal band shephards reign did a song about it singing in Samoan.
Don't know them. But at my age I don't know any after the 90's.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I find this topic to be very interesting. The world health organization is now saying this virus is a "grave threat" globally. Myself I dont think it is at that point now but I believe the potential is there either for this virus or some other future super virus to become a pandemic/global threat.
Like Spanish flu?
What's interesting also, is that global travel is so quick and easy that these things spread like wildfire. But modern communications make reacting to it much quicker.
I also liked that our national carrier, Air NZ, said they would keep flying to China. Bucks are more important than dead people, right?
Two days later after some serious arse kicking by their major shareholder, the Government, they folded and joined the ban on flights.
But now we have cruise ships that have been refused entry by other countries heading here.
One disadvantage of being at the bottom of the world.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
How about bubonic and pneumonic plague in Madagascar? Not a place I’d care to visit.
I thought that was extinct. I'll join you in never going.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Not extinct, just not publicized. Pretty crazy.

With the homeless people and filth in our major cities, the mass infestation of rats could easily trigger the plague here.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Plague exists all over the world including the US it’s obviously more prevalent in undeveloped parts of the world but the US still averages a dozen or so cases a year, with modern medicine and knowledge of what they are dealing with it is rarely fatal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you're anything like me, I absolutely hate going on cruise ships.
In a previous life I was drug along for a few, and was just miserable the whole time.

This is something out of my worst nightmare:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Not extinct, just not publicized. Pretty crazy.

With the homeless people and filth in our major cities, the mass infestation of rats could easily trigger the plague here.
With our previous cat I'd have said we're safe. But the current two would probably run from a plague infected rat.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
If you're anything like me, I absolutely hate going on cruise ships.
In a previous life I was drug along for a few, and was just miserable the whole time.

This is something out of my worst nightmare:

I think you need damn good drugs to cope on a cruise. It's full of old farts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts