Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I use the LCD -200 from Dynojet. You can see what's going on in real time smd data log all engine parameters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. I am the guy behind the post you put above. I wish you luck with the project and looking forward to see updates as you move forward. As I said on my blog I have no time for my own device now, but definitely will return to the project someday.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. I am the guy behind the post you put above. I wish you luck with the project and looking forward to see updates as you move forward. As I said on my blog I have no time for my own device now, but definitely will return to the project someday.
Nice! :D I read what you did and its pretty simple and straigh foward! :) I am looking into the wiring of the FZ-09 and looking for the K-Line...but im not sure anymore if there is a k-line or a TX-RX com

My Service Manual has not the best resolution so i will try to find out a better version on the Piratebay ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is my devellopement, i started looking into the schematics and i saw that there where two wires on the communication BUS.
There is a diagnostic Connector near the Battery that is directly connected on the Bus. This is great because i wont need to cut any wires ;)

Conector location.jpg

This is how the connector looks like:

974741_10152515017223037_1159023415_n.jpg

The Connector has this pinout:

Conector.png

This is how the signal looks like on the Bus, its a differential type of communication:

CCD bus.jpg

The bit value change when the voltage difference between The Bus+ and the Bus- is greater than 0.06V.

So to get this Bus talking to a Microcontroller...we need to set the voltage value from 0V to 5V. It is possible with a comparator:

Schematic.jpg

Now my problem is to determine at what is the Baud Frame (Bit per second) and a frame length. Does anyone can provide me this information for this bike? Since those two parameters changes depending on the bike model.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Those look like typical CAN bus voltages. you would need to find out what type of CAN network it is..I suspect its CAN B (low speed) as there is not really any important DATA that needs to be transmitted..you would however need to confirm that with a Yamaha tech.,..in any event, here are the ISO CAN bus speed specs

CAN B – 83.3 kbps
CAN-C – 500 kbps
Diagnostic CAN-C (also referred to at times as Can-D). 500 kbps.

like I said, I doubt its a high speed network as those are usually reserved for important functions..an air bag for instance would be on a high speed CAN network.

it could also be a 10 kbps class A bus, but I doubt they would use that in such a new vehicle, however given the limited information it needs to carry, its still a possibility

wish I could be more help but my experience is with cars, not motorcycles.

good luck..:)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Interesting project, are you doing this for fun or because you want to sell them? I only ask because I've seen this done on the FZ-09 already.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting project, are you doing this for fun or because you want to sell them? I only ask because I've seen this done on the FZ-09 already.
I'm doing this for fun, kinda a winter project for my bike. My goals are to get some sensor values displayed on my gopro (Speed, RPM, Temperature, Lean Angle, Throtle given etc...) And add some sensor on the PCB like an 3 Axis Accelerometer, Gyroscope and Compas this can be great....also plan to do some LED control of my Bike using the values of the sensor...But i dont mind selling it if anyone is interrested in a affordable Data Logger (its not supose to cost 200$ like those one we see on the market).

Really? Can you find who already did a data logger for the FZ-09? He might know what are the baud rate and the frame length.

Based on my research, i suspect that the Bus is actually a Diagnostic CAN C bus going at 500 kb/s but i want to confirm everything since that value can change depending of the bike model

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Interesting thread. I download this App a while ago, it's a GPS/Video App, sort of popular for track day geek. I never had the chance to try it out but seems to work fine. I saw this app hook up on cars that had a wireless CAN to it and were able to log engine data too. Maybe you could build your own App (seems like a smart guy) and sell Apps with your widget instead...

Welcome to Harry?s GPS LapTimer

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Interesting thread, thanks for posting. I was planning on doing something similar this year during my (hopefully) downtime. I'm less concerned with engine parameters, though. Am primarily interested in an affordable suspension data aq system.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Really? Can you find who already did a data logger for the FZ-09? He might know what are the baud rate and the frame length.
yea, i don't think he would share that type of info with anyone, sorry. I will be watching your progress though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So i probe the CAN High aka "Bus -" on the oscilloscope and took some pictures of the screen so you can see what a Frame looks like and how information flow from the ECU to the Dash:

frame.jpg

Here is the Width of 1 byte:

bit.jpg

We can see that it is 2uS long so the bit rate equals to 500'000 bit/sec or 500kbs.
With some interpolation from the picture of a frame, i guess that the data portion of the frame is 64 bit. (I will confirm this later when i will have a good Logic analyser in my hands)

Here is how a frame is build (data portion can cary form 0 to 64 bits):

3.jpg

Now what i need to do is to find an good CAN transceiver... I am not sure yet but the SN65HVD267 can do the job.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Interesting thread!

I've been toying with the idea of writing my own ECU flasher for a while... But never got around to starting the analysis of the CAN messages, and reversing the embedded software (I don't want to dismantle my one and only ECU).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Today i hook up the Logic Analyser to the bike and did many sampling of data:

Aquisition.jpg

Using the software i could confirm that the max data send is 64 bits and the bit rate is 500Kbps

Data.jpg

Also it can translate the binary data into CAN protocol:

Time ,Packet,Type,Identifier,Control,Data,CRC,ACK
-1.03125e-006,0,DATA,0x20A,0x8,0x16 0xD5 0x3F 0x73 0x06 0x00 0x00 0x38,0x38BA,ACK

What we want is to look at the Data part of a Frame, so we remove all the rest:

Packet Data
1, 0x00 0x14 0x00 0x23 0x0C 0x00 0x07
2, 0x00 0x00
3, 0x20
4, 0x16 0xD4 0x3F 0x73 0x07 0x00 0x00 0x38

The frames are in hexadecimal so to achieve 64 bytes we need 8 bytes.
Now what i need to do is to determine the meaning of each paquet...This is the hard part of this reverse engineering project but i think i can do it ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I used a SN65HVD232D to translate the CAN protocol into Serial communication:

SN65HVD232.jpg

In this image the R represents the Tx line and must be connected to the Rx pin of the microcontroller. The VCC must be 3.3V for this chip.

There are 7 types of message on the CAN and they all have a different ID:

ID DATA
0x20A 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 //RPM; SPEED and Temperature
0x216 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 //Throttle
0x22A 0x00 0x00 //This message always sends 0 values...
0x23A 0x00 0x00 0x00 //This message also sends only 0 values...
0x22E 0x00 0x00 //Same for this one...
0x23E 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 //Weird Message that appeirs only when engine is off
0x236 0x00 // GEAR

The paquets that are in bold are the ones important for the the datalogger: Speed, RPM, Gear
The ones that are in Italic are the ones im trying to solve...Its really hard to find the meaning of a paquet but i think those ones gives the coolant temperature and the Throttle given...

I will post more detail when i will be 100% sure of everything ;) Im on the right path!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
It might help you to invest in the Flash tune software kit for the bike. Many of the values that your seeing may have been translated on the ECU side already. But keep up the good work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It might help you to invest in the Flash tune software kit for the bike. Many of the values that your seeing may have been translated on the ECU side already. But keep up the good work.
The thing is that i must identify the paquets i need (speed, rpm , etc...) and take those values into a microcontroller. Then i can make what ever i want with them! :) With the software yes i might be able to see those values but i cannot use them to make something in the hardware. Plus the Flash Tune Harness require that the ECU is unplugged from the Bike :/

Getting those values was easier than expected! I now start programming a little code to read the CAN on the Serial of a microcontroller and it works!

I used a Arduino with a CAN-Bus shield just to get started and then i will make a real PCB using real C code ;P haha

1419969_10152527286018037_991568947_n.jpg

Here is what i get on the serial:

arduino can bus.jpg

I get the values in the good format and in the good order and now i just need to add the ID for each frame :)
Its getting real!

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Yea, I have to admit, you might as well be speaking in a foreign language. I pretty much don't understand anything you are talking about here other than you are trying to capture some data points and make them useful for whatever you are trying to do. I swear, some of you guys are so far over my head that I feel like a 5 year old in kindergarden!

Reactions: DTM74 and 24v

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yea, I have to admit, you might as well be speaking in a foreign language. I pretty much don't understand anything you are talking about here other than you are trying to capture some data points and make them useful for whatever you are trying to do. I swear, some of you guys are so far over my head that I feel like a 5 year old in kindergarden!
The way I see it, these types of threads mean jackdaw to me other than it serves as a work space for all the brains here to come together and build something that may turn into a product I could purchase some day. ROCK ON GUYS!

Reactions: triplethreat
1 - 20 of 30 Posts