Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from finals this past Thursday. It had just finished raining so I was taking it easy. I was less than a mile away from my house when the accident occurred. Damn chihuahua showed up in the light beam. I hit my brakes from ~35 mph thinking I had enough distance to stop safely, but ended up losing traction and fell to my left. I fell off and rolled around for a bit. My bike slid about 20 ft ahead of me. Neighborhood was pretty quiet and no cars were coming from either direction. Lucky me. I had landed on my left leg which cracked my fibula and pushed it into my ankle and misaligned it.

Enough about me! Let's talk about my motorcycle.

For the most part, my motorcycle is okay. It seems to run fine. Fireman rode it home for me and had no problems along the way. I turned it on yesterday and it revs smooth and idles fine. No damage to the tank or frame! My sliders did a great job protecting my motorcycle.

Here are some pictures of the damage.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Ouch, I hope you recover quickly, what did the Docs say?

Re the bike, only 35mph and it went through the case protector to the alternator cover? Almost like it wasn't there, I'd be shopping for different case protectors.

Small animals, yes if one surprises you the reflex is to brake hard, but try to keep your head clear, use light braking and evasion. If that isn't going to do it, get off the brakes, neutral throttle, bike up right, and go over the animal.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, glad to hear you survived. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Not trying lecture you and I love animals, but someone once told me in this situation its best to pop a wheelie with the goal of hitting the dog with your rear tire instead of your front.

Its good your bike survived and those sliders came in handy. Its good for everyone to study these images to see where the vulnerabilities are with this design. Do you happen to have any pics of the sliders before the accident so we can compare?

What I can see here is that huge chunk of frame slider saved your gas tank. The case protector did it's job too, however It looks as if the case protector gave way to a small amount of surface are on the engine case. Please confirm. If I'm correct, this would mean that those case protectors need to be a bit thicker, something T-rex should analyze. Also, did the front wheel slider get damaged at all?

As for the fireman.. was it your idea or his to ride the bike back? Just curious, fireman don't really jump at opportunities like that considering all the motorcycle accidents they respond to. My initial guess is the fireman is in the market to buy an FZ-09.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ouch, I hope you recover quickly, what did the Docs say?

Re the bike, only 35mph and it went through the case protector to the alternator cover? Almost like it wasn't there, I'd be shopping for different case protectors.

Small animals, yes if one surprises you the reflex is to brake hard, but try to keep your head clear, use light braking and evasion. If that isn't going to do it, get off the brakes, neutral throttle, bike up right, and go over the animal.
Three months with a cast. Going into surgery within two weeks to put a screw into my tibia and fibula. Can't even drive my truck since it's a manual.

The case protector did a poor job, but it leaves me wondering what the damage would be if they weren't there. Maybe it would be the same?

In hindsight, I should have evaded the dog. I was just too confident in my speed and distance that I thought I could stop in time.

By the way, dog lived. He just stared at me as I was on the flooring screaming. Didn't even thank me for not hitting him.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Im glad to hear you will heal and that the bike is mostly fine. Lucky dog I would have hit it or at least not slowed down, i love animals and have a lot of them, but those little C dogs(i don't say the breed) always seem to be in the wrong place! what kind of gear did you have on? Helmet of course but did you have boots on? Fast recovery brother.

-Z

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
... If that isn't going to do it, get off the brakes, neutral throttle, bike up right, and go over the animal.
There was a story more than two decades ago about a Honda test rider on (IIRC) a high speed Texas test track riding a VFR750... having the unfortunate experience of "center punching" a badger at over 245 km/h. He managed the incident without injury and only required the obligatory change of leathers afterwards. Squarely hitting the animal, however distasteful, saved him from injury (not that he had much choice at +245 km/h)... at least it had a happy ending. Glad to hear you made it through with repairable injuries, bones will heal in time.
The bike is equipped with a lean-over cutoff switch. Any excessive angle will cause the engine to shut down, protecting it from oil starvation damage.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow glad you're ok. Hate to hear about folks screaming in pain! From the rash on the other sliders it looks like the case must have taken most of the weight and must have been pretty thin to start with. Doesn't look like the other sliders lost as much meat. Thanks for the pics and congrats on having the sliders. They just paid for themselves!

Super cool of the fireman to ride the bike home. I've never heard of that happening before. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Daniel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about this, glad to hear you survived. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Not trying lecture you and I love animals, but someone once told me in this situation its best to pop a wheelie with the goal of hitting the dog with your rear tire instead of your front.

Its good your bike survived and those sliders came in handy. Its good for everyone to study these images to see where the vulnerabilities are with this design. Do you happen to have any pics of the sliders before the accident so we can compare?

What I can see here is that huge chunk of frame slider saved your gas tank. The case protector did it's job too, however It looks as if the case protector gave way to a small amount of surface are on the engine case. Please confirm. If I'm correct, this would mean that those case protectors need to be a bit thicker, something T-rex should analyze. Also, did the front wheel slider get damaged at all?

As for the fireman.. was it your idea or his to ride the bike back? Just curious, fireman don't really jump at opportunities like that considering all the motorcycle accidents they respond to. My initial guess is the fireman is in the market to buy an FZ-09.
Had I known how ungrateful that chihuahua was, I would have done so!

Sorry, I don't have any before pictures. Maybe you can get a decent comparison from the T-Rex Racing post.

The case was grounded off a bit. Not much, but if you look from the side of it, you can see it's not leveled with the rest of the case. If it were thicker, that may have helped, but how much thicker? I don't know. The front axle slider received no damage at all. I'm guessing it's because the frame slider prevented it from touching the ground.

He offered to ride it home since no one I called was able to. His supervisor gave him the OK, even though there was a liability issue. Luckily my helmet fit his head perfectly. Those firefighters were a good bunch.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Glad to hear you're relatively OK! My rule of thumb, if you could eat it at one sitting,or fit it into a microwave, run it over! Looks like the sliders did most of their job, a harder compound might be in order.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im glad to hear you will heal and that the bike is mostly fine. Lucky dog I would have hit it or at least not slowed down, i love animals and have a lot of them, but those little C dogs(i don't say the breed) always seem to be in the wrong place! what kind of gear did you have on? Helmet of course but did you have boots on? Fast recovery brother.

-Z
Hahaha! Dare not utter their name for fear of another motorcycle accident.

Gear was helmet, gloves with knuckle protectors(which saved my knuckles), canvas jacket with sweater underneath, backpack and 10" leather jump boots. The boots did a great job at protecting my feet. Jacket got scruffed up at the arms. I was also wearing Levi's 511. I know, I know, bad choice. I'll make sure to wear something better next time. Both knees were scraped, but nothing too bad. I've had worse on a bicycle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow glad you're ok. Hate to hear about folks screaming in pain! From the rash on the other sliders it looks like the case must have taken most of the weight and must have been pretty thin to start with. Doesn't look like the other sliders lost as much meat. Thanks for the pics and congrats on having the sliders. They just paid for themselves!

Super cool of the fireman to ride the bike home. I've never heard of that happening before. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Daniel
You may have a point there. I thought the case would never touch the floor with the frame slider being as large as it is. Turns out, I'm wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was a story more than two decades ago about a Honda test rider on (IIRC) a high speed Texas test track riding a VFR750... having the unfortunate experience of "center punching" a badger at over 245 km/h. He managed the incident without injury and only required the obligatory change of leathers afterwards. Squarely hitting the animal, however distasteful, saved him from injury (not that he had much choice at +245 km/h)... at least it had a happy ending. Glad to hear you made it through with repairable injuries, bones will heal in time.
The bike is equipped with a lean-over cutoff switch. Any excessive angle will cause the engine to shut down, protecting it from oil starvation damage.
I was wondering why it was off! That's a relief.

·
Registered
885 Posts
As other have posted, I too am sorry to read about your injuries. Heal well and heal quickly; I'm looking forward to reading about you back aboard your FZ-09, both better than ever, when the time comes.

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Glad to hear you are able to joke about the dog and write this post. Could have been much worse. On the bright side, at least this didn't happen in the spring...missing out on riding season sucks! DAMHIK...

Are you sure you weren't going more than 35 mph? Lots of wear on those sliders. But the frame sliders worked, which is good to know. As far as the case protector, short of being thicker, there isn't much you can do unless you have a harder wear surface (a piece of aluminum, steel, titanium, etc.).

In the grand scheme of things, Merry Christmas. Glad to hear you'll be here to ride another day.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If that was MY bike...I'd be very satisfied with the T-Rex protection. However.....only women crash while avoiding a dog. Real men aim straight and run right over that little piece of shit dog. I absolutely hate people that leave their damn dogs run loose. Sorry you got hurt. Heal up soon.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If that was MY bike...I'd be very satisfied with the T-Rex protection. However.....only women crash while avoiding a dog. Real men aim straight and run right over that little piece of shit dog. I absolutely hate people that leave their damn dogs run loose. Sorry you got hurt. Heal up soon.
That's a little harsh bro...aka insult to injury. I agree that the dog deserved to get the wheel, but our man here is no chick (no offense to the chicks)....he took his licks with dignity
Sorry about your leg and bike. No other way to say it than that sucks. Hope you're back on 2 wheels soon

1 - 20 of 66 Posts