Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've never really understood the appeal of darksiding. What benefit would you get other than maybe a better launch for dragstrip use?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Seriously, the guys that put a car tire on a motorcycle, are looking for extended mileage on a tire. It seriously affects the bike's ability to lean and turn, basically turning it into a straight line machine. I'm all about lean angles and the twisties.....it certainly wouldn't be for me......I'm goin to town....with a knee down! :cool:

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
730 Posts
NO WAY IN HELL.... I like turning!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Car tire no. However I might consider a tractor tire.. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Travis! The weather is nice...stop harassing those with not so good weather and go for a ride! That would ruin the poor 09.

·
Registered
232 Posts
seen it done on some cruisers give them the fat ass look but on a sport/naked/streetfighter bike no way.would handle like a dump truck...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have one on my Vulcan. It handles just fine. I will be on my ass from dragging something hard before I ever find the limit of the tire. Never would I ever consider doing that to the FZ. I put lots of long highway miles on the Vulcan.

·
Registered
337 Posts
There are tons of long wearing motorcycle specific tires these days, if longevity if what you are after start researching and you will find some high mileage alternatives to using a car tire. My RSV4 would wear out rear tires in about 3,500 miles of normal high paced street riding, the FZ09 should be good for much longer tires wear so that is a bonus for me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have seen many Sport bikes with the Shinko 009 Ravens mounted on them. The story is always the same, " No matter what brand rear tire I have tried, the most mileage I get out of them is 3,xxx. With the Shinko 009, 6k-7k before they square off, with tread left".

Many sport bikes have these mounted up, for multiple types of riding. A friend that has 8 Performance bikes, and rides 50k+ a year, has changed most of his bikes to the
009's, both front and rear. He rides aggressively, and is very smooth. Money is not an issue for him, he could mount up whatever he wants....you name a tire Brand / type, , he has probably tried it on one of his bikes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That is one of the funniest things I have EVER heard! Why would someone put a car tire on a commuter bike? The whole idea I understand, but the logic is totally messed up! A car tire is more square, a motorcycle tire is more rounded. The principal is to use the same contact patch no matter the lean angle. A car tire you have a contact pact while upright. Lean it a little and it totally goes away. If someone is that hard up for extra miles out of a tire to revert to a car tire they should not be riding a bike in the first place!

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sorry to dredge up this old topic, but saw this and it made me think of this thread.

1922426_10152329885208140_101218104_n.jpg

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Lol Lucky Devil, I clicked on this in active topics without really looking at the thread title, I didn't get the point of the photo until I looked at the topic then the photo again.

That looks sooo wrong.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was trying to get one of those hot-topic threads started where people will defend the car tire thing to death. That, and for anyone who might actually do that to the 09 to reveal themselves.

The killboy photo makes for a pretty compelling argument for the darksiders. Sorry but the tip in feel must be utter shit on a car tire, pardon my French. Has anyone here actually tried riding a bike fitted with a car tire? Apparently it's a popular thing to do on those big ass bikes.

Actually getting some substantial rain here in Ca. for the first time in ages. It's tempting to mess with people buried in snow who can only stare at the bike and bolt accessories onto it, I'll refrain though. I'm thinking that the more cabin fever sets in, the weirder the accessories become. ... I hope noone starts calling them "farkles" here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts