Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick up my new hold over 2019 Tracer 900 G.T. Rode it home 50 miles and noticed in sight glass oil was black. Drained oil in New pan and thankfully found no visible metal flakes. Noticed very little play on clutch lever. Turned it in 1/2 -turn to get some free play.Changed oil filter and replaced oil with Yamalube 10/40. Rode it 22 miles and oil in sight glaas looks great. Any ideas why oil would be black.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Most conventional oils will turn dark over time. My guess yours turned dark so soon is because of all the factory assembly lube being burned off and mixing with the oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would seem like the Yamaha assembly line would be pretty well regimented no? The production is pretty consistent, so wouldn't more people note darkened oil out of the factory? I will leave a picture of the oil I drained out of it below \/ \/

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Dark oil is the detergents doing the washing up in your engine. Oil also goes dark when it's been overheated, you do not need to worry about that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
type of oil, but i am just guessing

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are we slipping the clutch a lot? Clutch material also contributes to the oil color. I Assume you are adhering to break-in protocols. Engine breaking didn't loosen up until I hit 3000+ miles on my 2018. So easy does it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Most conventional oils will turn dark over time. My guess yours turned dark so soon is because of all the factory assembly lube being burned off and mixing with the oil.
sounds logical. But we all know how factories under grease. I wouldn't hang my hat on that one. I say no problem. Watch your post 1500 mile oil color. Mine always goes black before 100 miles but I'm putting stress on every journal and bearing in the bike. I think you are fine. I thought I was anal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts