Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ell, it finally happened. I dropped my bike. I was making a right hand turn onto a narrow neighborhood street. It has been a very rainy day. I noticed a pile of wet leaves on the inside of the turn. I was trying to avoid them, but a truck came up from the other direction crowded me out and forced me to turn tighter than I wanted too and my front wheel slipped right out from under me. I had to fight to lay the bike down as gently as possible. I wasn't hurt at all, but it definitely shook me up. At least I learned that I can pick my bike up off of the ground. At first I could not re start the bike, but then I realized that it was still in 2nd gear. As soon as Put it in neutral, she started right up.

When I got home, I checked out the damage to the bike. I had to clean off some dirt and debris, but fortunately there is not a scratch on the bike that I can see. :)

The important thing is the warning to watch out for leaves and straw and other debris on the road. Even if you are being careful and slow, this stuff is treacherous!!!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Damn. Glad your not hurt at all and your baby is ok too. :)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
That is a tough deal. When in that situation, I use flat track cantilever body position (body upright, outer elbow up) and put a foot out if I have to, which acts as an outrigger to help me keep the bike balanced underneath me when both wheels start sliding. Also, keep the throttle steady to keep the bike pushing forward and balanced. No throttle puts all the weight on the front.

140523-triumph-mikey-martin-91-bonneville-performance.jpg

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The leaves are just starting to get thick here as well... good to hear all is well. :)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Damn Communist leaves. We have them here too.

I am starting to see morning moisture seeping up thru the pavement on the shady mountain curves.

Definitely time to be extra cautious.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When there is leaves, or wet pavement, I just slow down more. (Sounds silly, but you can still drop the bike, but you will be going slower, so it should be less traumatic.)

Slow is no fun however. Dry, clean pavement and clear sight lines for everyone! :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Bike down = Not good!
Bike okay = Good!
U'r okay = That's very good! :happy10:
(appreciate the head's up, Drew)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good to read you could ride your FZ home after slip, and no damage. All the women in my life are just waiting to say " I TOLD YOU SO" This gives me a reason to practice burn outs and wheelies. Thank you for the warning, I'll think about this post every time I see leaves in the road.

·
Registered
341 Posts
LD, glad you and your bike are alright. We have the same issue here on quite a number of local streets. I used to ride my DRZ through those streets and do what Doug does...on purpose. Now it's my KLX 350, with full off road knobbies. I keep the FZ away from them at all times. Too Scary. Be safe, Roll Tide...unless you're an Auburn fan.:blob3:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I love the changing colors but they can be slippery little suckers. Ice on my windshield yesterday. @#$%&*!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ah Broomfield, I know it well. Can't beat 300 days of sunshine, though. Funny story, I was in Seattle a month ago for a wedding and the sun shined every day, 70s and very comfortable. Came home to pouring rain and couldn't ( wouldn't ) ride my bike for a week!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts