1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
been riding a few years but havent really tempered with suspension at all

i have a stock -21 (non sp) and weigh ~90kg

i have default settings so far and was wondering if anyone can recommend some starter settings for me.

if i where to guess i would need to harden the rear suspension but i´m not sure about the rebound effects.

EDIT: i hardened the damper, i´m sure that´l help transport the beer belly ;) but what does the rebound do?

help´s appreciated

regards /b

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Use the bounce test to get a base setting. Check out Dave Moss on Youtub. rebound controls the rebound action of the spring when it's compressed. It should be a steady, not too slow, return to full extension.

Reactions: GreatHolio

·
Registered
665 Posts
There is no one "Golden" setting that matches all bikes and most importantly all riders. There's rider weight, gear weight, riding style, the condition of the roads you ride in...

My suggestions are:

1. Learn about suspension adjustments. See what LouG above said. Dave Moss is a suspension GURU. Get the tools and do it your self with LOTS of trial and error until you find settings that work for you!

2. Get a local suspension expert to dial in your bike to you. Do some trial and error and return to this expert for follow up adjustment. Trust me, it won't be right the first time.

3. Once you've dialed in the settings using 1 or 2 above, if still not right... then think about upgrading the stock suspension and/or tires.

Remember that tires and tire pressure also have lots to do with how your bike handles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm about 85kg in gear and the stock settings are pretty good on a stock non-SP 2021 MT09.

Is there a particular riding dynamic that isn't to your liking? Go in small increments from stock but everything is a compromise.

The rear shock as spring preload and rebound damping. I didn't change preload, as my sag was pretty close to what it should be. I did dial out a little rebound (1/4 turn soft) as some corner imperfections were hard, but nothing that unsettled the bike mid corner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts