Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what I picked up but definitely have a flat. Did 160 mile ride today, stopped near home and heard a slight hiss... thought it may have been one of the fans cooling the motor... got home, parked in my garage, went the store and came back a few hours later.... flat tire.

Not sure what to do.... Im a noob and have never changed a motorcycle tire. Can I use a can of fix-a-flat for a temporary fix to take it in and get it patched? Doe the fix-a-flat negate a shops ability to patch a hole? Is fix-a-flat not a good idea since it could be a recurring issue and I sure as hell don't want to run into another flat while riding? Take it in to get it fixed by way of a truck? Tire only has 400 miles on it so want to continue using it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Would you trust your life to a plugged tire, because that is exactly what you would be risking if it gives way in a turn. The hole is made larger for the plug, and if it pops out, you may die, period. I only plug a tire to get to a dealership if on a roadtrip, and I will buy a new tire.

I have sucked it up and bought many a new tire because of punctures. Am I happy about it? No, it pisses me off. I had a tire one day that I had to replace, it is just a fact when it comes to safety.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you trust your life to a plugged tire, because that is exactly what you would be risking if it gives way in a turn. The hole is made larger for the plug, and if it pops out, you may die, period. I only plug a tire to get to a dealership if on a roadtrip, and I will buy a new tire.

I have sucked it up and bought many a new tire because of punctures. Am I happy about it? No, it pisses me off. I had a tire one day that I had to replace, it is just a fact when it comes to safety.
Thanks for the feedback DNFDOUG. That is exactly what I was looking for and exactly why I am happy to spend the money for a new tire. Id rather not take my chances.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So then that begs the question.... what tire to replace with? Ive noticed that the FZ-09 has come stock with two different sets from two tire manufacturers... I think one was Dunlop and then what mine came with, the Bridgestone Hypersports (S20R on the rear). Seems like from what Ive read the Bridgestone is a superior tire, just curous if I should be replacing with something different if Im spending the money anyway...

Thanks,
Colin

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Good question. Some of my friends think that I am crazy to run Michelin Pilot Road 3's on my CBR954, but I can crank it on with those tires. I wheelie way more than I should, so I eat the center out of a standard tire in no time. Also, I take a few road trips and I get tired of replacing my rear tire every 3,500 miles, thus the sport tour tires. The Michelins warm up instantly, I have never had another tire that does that. They are not heavy and sluggish on turn in like my Bridgestone BT021 sport tour tires were. I never trusted them cranking it on in the corners.

All of that said, I am going with the new Michelin Pilot Road 4's as soon as I wear my shitty Dunlops out.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
In my opinion, which is the same as Doug's, I will only ride on a patched tire to get to somewhere that I can buy a new one....and that ride is at a reduced speed. I simply do NOT ride on patched/plugged/repaired tires, no matter how few miles it has on it....but it's my skin and no one else, so I get the final say on that issue.

Now, back to tire choice...I immediately took off the Bridgestone tires on my bike when I bought it and mounted up some Dunlop Q3's on it. I am very happy with them so far. The Michelins, like Doug was talking about would probably be a great choice too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
At least 3 of my 5 Jeep tires are plugged, that being said I would only plug my tires to get home. I'm eying the Dunlop sportmax Q3s or the Pilot Road 3s. I plan on doing some road tripping on the bike, but also lots of twisties so I still haven't made a decision.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
With utmost respect, I disagree w triple and Doug...I think the plugs in my link are a safe, permanent repair.

Back in the day I rode with tires with multiple stick rope plugs with no problems....and these mushroom plugs are even better. The design of this system forces an oversized head and plug body through a small hole with the provided tools, the mushroom head sits on the inside of the tire and is kept in place with air pressure...the plug body is a compression fit to the hole...the plug cannot come out.

Is there something else I am not understanding that I should consider about this not being a permanent fix? Are you suggesting that once the tire has a compromise that it could explode or something like that when it gets spun up? Why is it unsafe?

·
Registered
365 Posts
In my opinoin I wouldent ride a motorcycle with a plugged tire either. A car is a different story. But motorcycle tire getting hot then cold repeatedly with a plug doesn't seem safe to me. For me its about limiting risk. A plug failing is always a possibility not saying it will, but its a risk.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Luke, the type of kit that you posted the link to is certainly a better option that the older style "rope" plugs that have been around for years. I still don't feel comfortable riding on a plug, except to get somewhere to buy a new tire or get home to put one on. Everyone has their own feelings about what is safe and what isn't, and mine is that riding on a plugged tire is just something that I don't want to do for an extended period of time. Many times when I'm riding, I am pushing a tire hard and going through heat/cool cycles and I want to have my tire intact, without any issues. I'm certainly not criticizing anyone for choosing what they want to do or how they feel about this issue that occurs ocassionally on motorcycles.....it's up to the individual to make those decisions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts