Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what I picked up but definitely have a flat. Did 160 mile ride today and stopped near home. Heard a slight hiss... thought it may have been one of the fans cooling the motor... got home, parked in my garage, went the store and came back a few hours later.... flat tire.

Not sure what to do.... Im a noob and have never changed a motorcycle tire. Can I use a can of fix-a-flat for a temporary fix to take it in and get it patched? Doe the fix-a-flat negate a shops ability to patch a hole? Is fix-a-flat not a good idea since it could be a recurring issue and I sure as hell don't want to run into another flat while riding? Take it in to get it fixed by way of a truck? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Would you trust your life to a plugged tire, because that is exactly what you would be risking if it gives way in a turn. The hole is made larger for the plug, and if it pops out, you may die, period. I only plug a tire to get to a dealership if on a roadtrip, and I will buy a new tire.

I have sucked it up and bought many a new tire because of punctures. Am I happy about it? No, it pisses me off. I had a tire one day that I had to replace, it is just a fact when it comes to safety.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Would you trust your life to a plugged tire, because that is exactly what you would be risking if it gives way in a turn. The hole is made larger for the plug, and if it pops out, you may die, period. I only plug a tire to get to a dealership if on a roadtrip, and I will buy a new tire.

I have sucked it up and bought many a new tire because of punctures. Am I happy about it? No, it pisses me off. I had a tire one day that I had to replace, it is just a fact when it comes to safety.
Makes perfect sense to me, it's a lot less dangerous when you are in a car. How common are flats Doug? I've never actually thought about flats honestly. Noob I know but asking is the safest way to learn

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well you may need to tow it to the shop. I'd get some air in it and stick it on a trailer or in the back of a truck and take it to the shop if I was unable to remove the rear tire. Definitely replace the tire! Might want to check on line to see if your area has a dedicated motorcycle tow place. Weve got two of them at least here in the east bay. I'd be leery of a non motorcycle tow truck guy towing my bike personally. Good luck.

Daniel

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
In, say, the last twenty years, I have picked up maybe 6 or 7 nail type items in my tires, more so during the construction boom. They have all ended up being slow leaks. When I go on a trip, I carry a plug kit just to get me to safety. I picked up AAA Plus last year when I rode from Long Beach to Anchorage and plan on keeping it. I hope I never have to have a tow.

I asked my mechanic racing buddy one time if I should plug an almost new tire on my street bike, and he asked me if I ever raced motocross in loafers knowing that I have broken both of my ankles racing. I got the point. It is a risk that I am not willing to take. I had a plug give out on a car tire of mine back in my college days, it flattened in seconds and shredded the tire by the time I pulled over. That is enough to convince me the urgency of the situation.

·
Registered
350 Posts
For the sake of discussion I agree that new tire is definitely superior to plugged. But I have also put many miles on plugged tires. A good tire guy can tell you whether a plug is appropriate. Depends on the nature of the flat and the quality of repair. Problem is, fewer people know much these days. Put 12k on a plugged Avon that picked up a screw the first day I bought it. Plugged and patched from inside. That was a commuter, not a track bike. Everyone must make their own deal with how much risk they are willing to take. Sidewalks are a different deal. Sidewall damaged tires should always be discarded. I am fully prepared to accept the criticism that will surely follow.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me, it's a lot less dangerous when you are in a car. How common are flats Doug? I've never actually thought about flats honestly. Noob I know but asking is the safest way to learn
I used to get flats every season on my old bike...or my buddies would on a group ride. I feel it is a typical hazard, and you'd be wise to carry a plug kit with you

·
Registered
23 Posts
ive plugged a couple tires from the inside out,used the tires mostly for around town commuting,wouldent recommend it for a long trip tire or heavy canyon riding,oh and if its the front tire i personally would replace

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Flats have been rare for me, I don't even have distinct memories of them lol. Something like 2 in 80,000 street miles.

It really depends on the conditions where you ride. Maybe it's worse in cities? I stay out of those on 2 wheels as much as possible lol.
only recently moved to a city....i think PA just generally has crappy roads driven by ppl who like to throw their trash out of their windows. Maybe I had alot of bad luck in my 20's, and got all of my whammies over with early

·
Registered
730 Posts
a couple of the tire mfgrs recommend patch-plugs only. it requires tire removal and derating the speed rating one level.

Reactions: rhettmania

·
Registered
83 Posts
^ +1 on the patch plug if you don't want to buy a tire. I have plugged tires before but I can't tell you it's a good idea. A patch plug from the inside is much better though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts