Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

CycleWorld Michelin Pilot Road 4 (PR4) review

14K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  riplee 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I recently enjoyed an 800 mile mountain-twisty, break-in ride with the PR4's. A variety of conditions encountered from misting rain, standing water,
38 degree early morning temps, shiny/polished old pavement, grooved pavement and elevated pace weren't a concern. If they hold up in the heat of a
Southeastern USA summer, then I will declare them to be the best tire of all time. :) I replaced the OEM Dunlop's after only 3 miles on the odometer,
not so much because of what I read here, but because I have a road trip to New Hampshire in June and I didn't want to blow a day for a tire change
in the middle of the trip. If the PR4's don't get greasy in the heat of Summer, I'll be a happy man. Cold Pressures: 33F / 36R

#7 · (Edited)
Well I've ridden every one of our Santa Ana days in 95 average 102 today temps and they work great.

I took this picture after 2500 miles on the tires(mostly commuting) This is almost exactly the amount of miles I had when I replaced my Dunlops. I have ridden in 55 degrees and 102 degrees(according to the bike) on twisties, in the rain(which is particularly dangerous since it rains so little here the roads also had a lot of oil on them) on dirty roads from mountain rains, on many a white line during rather sporting turns and lastly with many a hard stop. They are very good tires and by a rough estimate the rears should last to at least 8k miles before they hit the wear mark. My favorite part is that they again make me the lowest common denominator...meaning i don't think i could actually push them to their limit. Definitely the way to go for this bike IMO.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Synthetic rubber

Edit: Sorry you have to turn your head...the left side is the direction of travel.

Reactions: ridetofish
#10 ·
Just cracked 1000 miles on my stocker battlax and its not gonna last much longer. Flat middle. Gonna get some pilots next. Can i run mismatched rear/front keeping stock front?? Mostly tour this bike with the occasional twisty roads.

Thx all

#13 ·
Hi Zak
My Battleax rear was toast at 3500 miles and I put on a $184 Pilot 4 on rear from Bike Bandit, 2 weeks on it now and it's great when the front goes ( mechanic said it would last another 8000 miles

I was worried about mismatch too. Mechanic said as long as its not a new tire and a very old one or something crazy like a completely different type ( knobbies etc) it would be fine.

I feel confident with the PR 4's.

#19 ·
I think it was the GT. Also had some Pirelli Rosso II and they were also extremely slippery on painted lines. I remember once I was turning on a street corner at maybe 30km/h and when I rode over painted lines both the front and rear slipped! I managed to regain traction, but no more Pirelli for me. All michelins Ive had have been amazing in all conditions including snow!

#21 ·
I remember one morning planning on leaving the stop sign with some wheel spin. I revv it up, lean forward, pop the clutch...and though the road was wet and cold, and so were the tires, the front lifted instead od rear spinning and that was with the Pilot Road 2...
Really Ive tried many tires from different brands and always come back to the Michelin cause not only do they have awesome grip in all conditions but they also last longer then the competition.

#22 ·
I just sold a 990 SMT that I had Pilot 4's installed on. I put about 2k miles on them, and didn't find a situation where they didn't grip like crazy. I could barely see any wear on them either. I did notice it made entering a turn a little stiffer, I'll just assume that's because the tires are so grippy.

Glad to hear people like them on this bike too. I'll likely buy them for the FZ once it's time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.