Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
once i finally kill my PR3's, i'm getting PR4's lol. solid tire for year round riding

·
Super Moderator
4,374 Posts
I recently enjoyed an 800 mile mountain-twisty, break-in ride with the PR4's. A variety of conditions encountered from misting rain, standing water,
38 degree early morning temps, shiny/polished old pavement, grooved pavement and elevated pace weren't a concern. If they hold up in the heat of a
Southeastern USA summer, then I will declare them to be the best tire of all time. :) I replaced the OEM Dunlop's after only 3 miles on the odometer,
not so much because of what I read here, but because I have a road trip to New Hampshire in June and I didn't want to blow a day for a tire change
in the middle of the trip. If the PR4's don't get greasy in the heat of Summer, I'll be a happy man. Cold Pressures: 33F / 36R

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi, just install a pilot road4 on the fz9, but I notice this tires are 5mm less wide than the original Dunlop and also like 6mm less Thant my pilot road 2 on my 919.
I'm happy with the road4. image.jpg

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Not every brand and model of a 180/55 17 tire has exactly the same dimensions. Maybe the Pilot Road 4 is just slightly narrow compared to others, it is normal.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I recently enjoyed an 800 mile mountain-twisty, break-in ride with the PR4's. A variety of conditions encountered from misting rain, standing water,
38 degree early morning temps, shiny/polished old pavement, grooved pavement and elevated pace weren't a concern. If they hold up in the heat of a
Southeastern USA summer, then I will declare them to be the best tire of all time. :) I replaced the OEM Dunlop's after only 3 miles on the odometer,
not so much because of what I read here, but because I have a road trip to New Hampshire in June and I didn't want to blow a day for a tire change
in the middle of the trip. If the PR4's don't get greasy in the heat of Summer, I'll be a happy man. Cold Pressures: 33F / 36R
Well I've ridden every one of our Santa Ana days in 95 average 102 today temps and they work great.

I took this picture after 2500 miles on the tires(mostly commuting) This is almost exactly the amount of miles I had when I replaced my Dunlops. I have ridden in 55 degrees and 102 degrees(according to the bike) on twisties, in the rain(which is particularly dangerous since it rains so little here the roads also had a lot of oil on them) on dirty roads from mountain rains, on many a white line during rather sporting turns and lastly with many a hard stop. They are very good tires and by a rough estimate the rears should last to at least 8k miles before they hit the wear mark. My favorite part is that they again make me the lowest common denominator...meaning i don't think i could actually push them to their limit. Definitely the way to go for this bike IMO.

photo 1 copy.jpg

Edit: Sorry you have to turn your head...the left side is the direction of travel.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Super Moderator
4,374 Posts
Well I've ridden every one of our Santa Ana days in 95 average 102 today temps and they work great.
So glad to hear this. If I'm lucky, I won't have to buy another set for months. A well-spent $330.
What pressures?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
So glad to hear this. If I'm lucky, I won't have to buy another set for months. A well-spent $330.
What pressures?
35 front and rear. Stock tires I had at 30...these heat up so fast and perform cold great too so I left the psi a bit higher to keep the tread longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just cracked 1000 miles on my stocker battlax and its not gonna last much longer. Flat middle. Gonna get some pilots next. Can i run mismatched rear/front keeping stock front?? Mostly tour this bike with the occasional twisty roads.

Thx all

·
Registered
227 Posts
Having a PR4 installed on the rear tomorrow morning, will report back, but have always been thrilled with PR2s and PR3s on previous bikes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Zak
My Battleax rear was toast at 3500 miles and I put on a $184 Pilot 4 on rear from Bike Bandit, 2 weeks on it now and it's great when the front goes ( mechanic said it would last another 8000 miles

I was worried about mismatch too. Mechanic said as long as its not a new tire and a very old one or something crazy like a completely different type ( knobbies etc) it would be fine.

I feel confident with the PR 4's.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Tried the pirellis on my Monster 1100evo, they are scary on painted lines (even dry). Go with the Michelin and dont look back.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have PR4s on my SV650. Awesome tires! I'll put them on the FZ when the time comes

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think it was the GT. Also had some Pirelli Rosso II and they were also extremely slippery on painted lines. I remember once I was turning on a street corner at maybe 30km/h and when I rode over painted lines both the front and rear slipped! I managed to regain traction, but no more Pirelli for me. All michelins Ive had have been amazing in all conditions including snow!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I think it was the GT. Also had some Pirelli Rosso II and they were also extremely slippery on painted lines. I remember once I was turning on a street corner at maybe 30km/h and when I rode over painted lines both the front and rear slipped! I managed to regain traction, but no more Pirelli for me. All michelins Ive had have been amazing in all conditions including snow!
And wet painted lines :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts