Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I performed my first oil change the other day (a little later than I would have liked @ 180 miles), and I decided to crack open the OEM filter after replacing it (I actually do this after every oil change, but I'm a bit OCD). Wasn't sure if anyone would be interested, but I've attached the pics.

I watched the oil drain out with a flashlight and it wasn't glittery at all, which is always good news.

Cracked open the filter and it was glitter-tastic!

The marks on the wall of the filter are from where the FilterMag was. Unfortunately, the filter was not deep enough to allow me to leave it in place while using the filter wrench to get it off... so a lot of the debris that would have been there was released into the filter when I popped the magnet off.

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This is a FilterMag if anyone is curious

41U1TsKlmGL._AA160_.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Wow, so what do you do if you find a bunch of shavings on one of these filter disections, freak out, can't sleep. I have only had to undercut the dogs on one tyranny in forty years of riding and have never had anything come apart. I just use a magnetic drain plug for the large stuff, which doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wow, so what do you do if you find a bunch of shavings on one of these filter disections, freak out, can't sleep. I have only had to undercut the dogs on one tyranny in forty years of riding and have never had anything come apart. I just use a magnetic drain plug for the large stuff, which doesn't really bother me.
Doug, can you link me to the plug you use/bought?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No, I don't "freak out" or find myself "unable to sleep". I just find it interesting is all.

It started when I bought the filter magnet, actually.

Everyone made fun of me because I had spent money on such a thing. "Engine casing's are aluminum, you ****ing dolt." I pretty much got berrated about it to the point where I wanted to see WTF for myself. Nobody could say, difinitively, that they had SEEN the inside of a filter where the magnet was... that it actually didn't do shit. It's amazing the things people will stand behind and argue about without ever seeing anything first hand or experimenting with personally. OR the amount of shit a guy will give over spending $30.00 on a magnet, while he just blew $500 on a piece of bodywork.

Aaaaaaaanyway....

The only way to see if I had truly been a case of "a fool and his money," or a case of "savvy motorcycle enthusiast," was to cut open the filter and see what, if anything, was there. So what started as a way for me to justify the money I had spent, ended up a sad obsession, I suppose.

I've found it interesting very over the years, personally opening and examining dozens of different brands of oil filters. I get to see first hand, and judge for myself, the "quality" of any given brand of filter.

Sorry to bore you guys with my personal obsession. :eek:

p.s.
I also use a magnetic drain plug dic.gif

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Looks like the filter was doing its job

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah pretty obvious.

At least folks who spend the extra money on an OEM Yamaha filter will feel like it's money well spent. Obviously they do their job well.

I've opened up warm FRAM filters that have pretty much disintegrated in my hands (the filter element held together just by glue and not a plastic ring at either end). Not confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your first few oil changes will be like that. It's common. Just everything breaking in.

Carry on.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That does not look too bad, most of the flakes are clutch pack material and nothing to worry about. If you want to see engine debris check some of the KTM threads, amazing what comes out of some of the offroad motors.

Give you props for the effort either way, I am beyond anal with maintenance on my motorcycles and never cut open a filter ever.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
No, I don't "freak out" or find myself "unable to sleep". I just find it interesting is all.

It started when I bought the filter magnet, actually.

Everyone made fun of me because I had spent money on such a thing. "Engine casing's are aluminum, you ****ing dolt." I pretty much got berrated about it to the point where I wanted to see WTF for myself. Nobody could say, difinitively, that they had SEEN the inside of a filter where the magnet was... that it actually didn't do shit. It's amazing the things people will stand behind and argue about without ever seeing anything first hand or experimenting with personally. OR the amount of shit a guy will give over spending $30.00 on a magnet, while he just blew $500 on a piece of bodywork.

Aaaaaaaanyway....

The only way to see if I had truly been a case of "a fool and his money," or a case of "savvy motorcycle enthusiast," was to cut open the filter and see what, if anything, was there. So what started as a way for me to justify the money I had spent, ended up a sad obsession, I suppose.

I've found it interesting very over the years, personally opening and examining dozens of different brands of oil filters. I get to see first hand, and judge for myself, the "quality" of any given brand of filter.

Sorry to bore you guys with my personal obsession. :eek:

p.s.
I also use a magnetic drain plug View attachment 2435
Just curious. I build my own computers and open old electronic shit just to see how it is assembled. Same basic reason, I guess. Good news is that I will have a DYI video on how to waterproof a 5" Garmin Nuvi here pretty soon for those that want to open it up.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Have cut open a K&N oil filter? Wondering about the quality. It had that but that makes removal easy and it has anti drain valve to keep oil from draining back to engine upon shut off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Yamaha Manual says to do first oil change at 600 miles, they say that the engine will be breaking in for the first 600 miles! So I'd keep checking those filters!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The Yamaha Manual says to do first oil change at 600 miles, they say that the engine will be breaking in for the first 600 miles! So I'd keep checking those filters!
I totally disregard what Owner's Manuals statements regarding break-in. They have not updated the wording in over 40 years, but metallurgy has changed dramatically in the last 20 years. I change my oil 3 to 4 times in the first 1,000 miles, and ignore the easy break-in going for Motoman's method, which we did for our motocross race bikes long, long ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run magnets on everything (plugs and exterior on filters.) Filters alone remove most abrasives but not everything magnets same (the two work together.) Cutting the filter is miss leading saying the filter (or oil) is doing it's job. A good way to understand how your engine's running is to perform an oil analysis; IMO the best in the business is Terry Dyson go here Dyson Analysis ... Doing that has saved me some serious $$$ in the past, and small things to like uncover problems with air intake. Beyond that I can tailor my oil / oil filter to optimize for engines. My FZ-09 has a whopping 2.3 miles on it ( I know stop typing start riding ;) I will have Terry run a UOA and post on this site but magnets work to support cleaner lubrication.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The manual states to change the oil filter every other oil change. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
For the cost of a filter I'd change it at every oil change, but wouldn't lose any sleep if I followed the manual.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had magnets on my filter since day 1 and when I did the first oil change at 550 mi the oil was still light brown and traslucent.. Had some nice black areas on the inside of the filter where the magnets were also.. Love the magnets and now there's one on the drain plug as well..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts