Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't gotten to ride this more than 50 miles yet but it is much much better than the stock seat and I'm really happy with the comfort so far. I'd even go so far to say that it makes the stock suspension easier to swallow. (suspension upgrades still on my future upgrade list though)

I pinged fz09.org folks on their thoughts on the gripper vs carbon and then called Seat Concepts to do a customized order which cost a bit more but it makes functional sense to me. (btw, thanks for feedback and all the seat related posts in general because it helped in making my choices) Deviations/options that I went with:
  • Carbon on the front of the seat because most feedback indicated that the gripper material didn't allow movement to slide around when you wanted and was kind of a pain.
  • Gripper on the rear of the seat because whatever goes back there ought to not fall off or even slide around, whether it is an infrequent passenger or a pack that is bungee netted on there.
  • Orange stitching to go with the bike color scheme.
  • Note: I asked and they would not do the order without the "Seat Concepts" tag if you're wondering.

Although I did want to give installation a try myself, I had a local auto upholstery place install it for me just because I didn't want to hose it up. Cost $40 for installation. I also opted to leave the strap off but got the original pad, cover and strap back for just in case.

These aren't the greatest pics but give you the idea ...
Seat1.jpg Seat2.jpg

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Looks good with the carbon on the front! Despite the grippy nature of my seat, i have gotten used to it and i prefer it now. But congrats, the seat saves my butt!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Nice. I carefully took an Exacto blade to the tag, cut it below the stitches, pulled the remainder back and trimmed it again and melted the remainder. It was totally nerve wracking and tedious work, but I could not live with the tag.

·
Registered
299 Posts
How much more did it cost to have the carbon up front, gripper in the back? I think this is what I would do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$20 addl for this customization but you have to call and get an actual quote for what you want done, might vary depending on what it is.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am new to this forum, and any question I put forth may have already been addressed in previous posts. But here goes.
Your new seat looks great, but I wish you could post a true side view of the seat. I test drove the FZ-09 at Daytona earlier this month and did NOT like the sloping seat. Toward the end of that short ride, I found my self sitting at the top of the seat on the strap. I'm hoping that your new seat has less slope to it.
Additionally, I understand that Yamaha is offering a replacement "comfort" seat. Any thoughts on that one?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Seat concepts seat does remove the slope and is made of better/softer foam. It also makes the hump of the seat a little farther back which was nice.There is a member here that bought the yamaha comfort seat, and still after that bought the seat concepts seat. I think that speaks for the factory comfort seat.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Seat concepts seat does remove the slope...
Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Once that slope is removed, does that mean the overall seat height is lowered, or do they build up the front area (tank end) of the seat with foam? I am 6' - 2" and lowering that seat would be a negative thing for me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
They built the front up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks warrior, I've been on the fence as well in getting the carbon vs. grippy. You may be helping me with my decision.....now these other guys seem to be getting used to the grippy... back on the fence, lol!

Looks great!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks warrior, I've been on the fence as well in getting the carbon vs. grippy. You may be helping me with my decision.....now these other guys seem to be getting used to the grippy... back on the fence, lol!

Looks great!
On the fence is correct. Have a few more miles on my butt now ...
1) The padding/comfort is much better. Went through 2 tanks of gas on Sunday and could have spent more hours without an issue.

2) The front padding is raised higher but with the carbon front, I still slip forward once in a while. Makes me wonder if i should have gone full grip material but it really isn't too bad so I'm overall still happy with the choice. :) Sorry to throw a wrench in there.

3) Next plan is to get some tank gripper from Nick. The lesser aggressive one would be my preference. Should keep me more "connected" to the bike/tank. Tech Specs Gripster Tank Pads - High Fusion

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the wrench, I mean update Warrior ;) I think that I will go for the grippy version, even though I think your seat looks great

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone have pics of this seat with the blue stitching?
What about improvements in passenger comfort? What are your passengers saying?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts