Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not work for, or am i paid to endorse Custom LED or their products.

I have used their products for every light on my bike except the headlight and assembly and I have always found the highest quality product.

I had a few requests for instructions on how to install the UMSBLF with pictures so here you go!

Read the instructions in their entirety before attempting, post any questions you have, and i take no responsibility for any issues my instructions cause.

Tools
Wire stripper and cutter
4mm hex

Supplies
Custom LED UMSBLF kit
electrical tape if you feel the need, i didn't though.

Step 1: Remove your seat
Step 2: Remove unplug brake light assembly
a. Use 4mm hex to remove the two screws shown partialy out.
b. pull brake light towards the rear
c. push down on small locking tab for plug then pull towards rear
d. completely remove the whole assembly from the bike

Brake Light Screw Removal.jpg

Step 3: Install the UMSBLF

Note: There are 3 wires, one blue, one yellow, and one black. The blue is the running lights you will NOT do anything with this wire except not cut it. The yellow is the brake light power wire, when you push on the brake this gets 12V power and turns on your brake lights. You will cut the yellow wire. The black wire is as usual the ground. You will not cut the black wire but you will use the supplied splicer to tap into it for the ground on the UMSBLF.

a. Pre strip the ends of all the wires on the UMSBLF, only do about 1/4 of an inch. If that is already done, please omit this step. Twist the individual colored wires so they are as one, so you end up with one red stripped wire twisted so the small individual strands are close together, one white, and one black. All of those are coming out of the UMSBLF. If they come pre stripped, leave them as is.
b. Cut yellow wire as close to the middle as you can get, strip each side of your cut about 1/4 of an inch. Once you have stripped each end, then use the red wire couplers (two are included in the kit plus a splicer) and attach one end of each of the two couplers to each of the stripped yellow wires. To use the coupler unscrew the end you are going to use as much as you can before it falls off. Place the wire you intend on coupling in the center as far as it will go then tighten it as much as you can with your hands. Do the same for both sides of the yellow wire.
c. Take the red wire from the UMSBLF and connect it to the power yellow wire(the one on the plug side of your previous cut.) Using the coupler you connected in Step 3 part b. Then take the white wire and connect it to the coupler that is on the brake light side of the yellow wire. So now the power will go from the plug into the yellow wire, through the red wire into the UMSBLF out the white wire and to your brake light.
d. Take your red splicer(the one with one larger side and one smaller side.) Unscrew the larger side until it separates. Slide the black wire from the tail light assembly between the two prongs and reinstall the part that screwed off as tight as you can get it with your hands. Then take the stripped black wire and put it in the other end of the splicer after you loosened it up. Then use your hands to tighten it as far as it can go.

Your wires should be similar to the picture below.
Wiring picture.jpg

Step 4: Re install the brake light with UMSBLF back on the FZ09.
a. in reverse order reinstall the brake light

before plugging in
reassembly 1.jpg
After plugging in
re install 2.jpg

b. re arrange wires and UMSBLF to prevent any damage to unit when the seat is reinstalled.

Fully installed
reinstalled.jpg

That is how i did the install.
There are two changes i recommend if you so desire.

1st: install the UMSBLF in such a way that you run the wires as you install it so they all go through the same metal "bridge" that the original wires and plug go through

2nd: shorten the wires on the UMSBLF once you figure out where you want to put it and do this before you do any connecting to the brake light.

I have ridden through rain and left my bike outside at work and had no issue with it getting wet under the seat so i think its a good place.

I use mode 6 personally because i think it is a real attention getter without giving people strokes while they wait behind me in traffic.

Here is the link to the UMSBLF. There you will find a picture and testimonials.

I hope this makes sense and helps some of you guys out.

Zach

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Nice write up, I'm pumped to see what taillight prototypes they crank out for the fz

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me too, they make a very good product.

Does anybody know where you can get those couplers/splicer things? I've never seen them before and they work better than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Me too, they make a very good product.

Does anybody know where you can get those couplers/splicer things? I've never seen them before and they work better than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you talking about the little red plastic plugs for the wires? If so, they come with this kit!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the little red plastic plugs for the wires? If so, they come with this kit!
Yeah I really want to find them, they woke excellently and they feel like they won't get loose over time either

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice job and probably cheap but,
Vizitec brake modulator ships with Yamaha connectors, no splicing. http://www.vizi-tec.com/supabrake-2/

It also has a smart algorithm with many programs that can be selected and only does a little burst of flashes at onset of brakes. Constant flashing would be annoying, confusing and cause target fixation I would think.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Vizitec brake modulator ships with Yamaha connectors, no splicing. SupaBrake-II motorcycle tail light modulators | vizi-tec

It also has a smart algorithm with many programs that can be selected and only does a little burst of flashes at onset of brakes. Constant flashing would be annoying, confusing and cause target fixation I would think.
Damn, now that's a nifty little product there. Good idea

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished result! THANK YOU zloikish!
Looks Good Rocket! Glad i could help!

Vizitec brake modulator ships with Yamaha connectors, no splicing. SupaBrake-II motorcycle tail light modulators | vizi-tec

I think about 10 minutes of my time is worth the extra cash, easily. There are 10 modes some that just flash a few times and some that are a strobe. If you watch the video on the website you can see all the options. I prefer the 6 seconds of strobe then solid. Target fixation is when you stare at something and start to steer towards it. This is just a warning of brake lights to tell you to stop. In my experience cars tend to back off a lot more than they did before. If someone is tailgating me i only have to push or pull on the brakes enough to activate the light and they back off a few more car lengths. I feel a little bit safer, and every little bit helps. All subjective but approximately $30 is a big deal to me for approximately the same result, plus i've used other Custom LED products and have always been impressed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh I didn't realize this also had programs that the user could choose and didn't just constantly flash when brakes are on like in video. Looks like they'll have a whole integrated taillight out soon as well for FZ, that should be pretty cool. This still does not do changes in amount of flashes and not activating flashes when using brakes a lot in stop and go that are time dependent. But if you don't ride in heavy traffic a lot or are not worried about annoying people with lots of repeated flashing in heavy traffic then this is not a big deal.I'm usually rarely behind the same person for long anyway. But 6 seconds of flashing seems like a lot, usually you never even are on the brakes that long so this would in effect flash the whole time you are on the brakes usually.

I do like that SBII only does a burst of flashes when needed it's only a second or 2 and then goes solid. But anyway they both seem like good products to get a bit more attention of drivers when slowing down. I did this together with Niners friends taillight mod but had I known a complete system was being made soon by custom led I would have held off...oh well.

It's a bit less on ebay and he ships version 2 even though it does not say so in the listing. Yamaha FZ 09 MT 09 Smart Brake Light Modulator Vizi Tec Supabrake | eBay

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I didn't realize this also had programs that the user could choose and didn't just constantly flash when brakes are on like in video. Looks like they'll have a whole integrated taillight out soon as well for FZ, that should be pretty cool. This still does not do changes in amount of flashes and not activating flashes when using brakes a lot in stop and go that are time dependent. But if you don't ride in heavy traffic a lot or are not worried about annoying people with lots of repeated flashing in heavy traffic then this is not a big deal.I'm usually rarely behind the same person for long anyway. But 6 seconds of flashing seems like a lot, usually you never even are on the brakes that long so this would in effect flash the whole time you are on the brakes usually.

I do like that SBII only does a burst of flashes when needed it's only a second or 2 and then goes solid. But anyway they both seem like good products to get a bit more attention of drivers when slowing down. I did this together with Niners friends taillight mod but had I known a complete system was being made soon by custom led I would have held off...oh well.

It's a bit less on ebay and he ships version 2 even though it does not say so in the listing. Yamaha FZ 09 MT 09 Smart Brake Light Modulator Vizi Tec Supabrake | eBay
This is a joke: hey stop trying to Jack my thread with a different product!! Haha.

I do wish the flash was shorter, but I have had two cagers pull up next to me and comment on how visible and obvious it was when I slowed down. I don't care if I annoy someone, I want them to stay back and to have as much attention on my braking as possible. I don't think the tail light is bright enough and the strobe makes up for that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts