Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After two agonizingly long months of waiting for this, I finally picked up my finished helmet today. (they knocked $100 of as an apology for the long wait; they just had a ton of back orders).

I love the color scheme of my orange FZ-09 so much, I bought a new Shoei GT-Air and had it custom painted to match the orange tank, complete with the rally stripes. :) I figured it would either look really cheesy or really cool but I couldn't be happier after picking it up today! I'm really excited to get out on the bike tomorrow with this thing.

I will admit, the particular helmet I chose probably wasn't a good idea for a custom paint design. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be able to flip down the internal sun visor. I'm waiting a few days for the clear coat to really harden before I try moving the lever on the left side of the helmet but for now, it ain't budging. I'll force it once I'm more confident I won't scratch the crap out of the paint in that area. Ok, so I'm willing to sacrifice a little function for form in this case :)

Anyhow, very excited about it. My jacket is brown leather with orange racing stripes down the arms so I think the overall look will be really nice when I'm on the bike.

UPDATE: After scraping around a bit more with a utility knife, I was able to loosen the lever for the internal sun visor. It now slides over the painted area that had been preventing it from moving.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe I forgot to mention who did the painting. It's Gunslinger Custom Paint in Golden, CO. I think they do a lot of custom motorcycle painting orders for Harley Davidson. In fact, they may be the only company who does it for them now, from what I've heard, though I'm not 100% certain of that.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I would use a craft type of exacto blade on the lever area that you will need to be free to open the visor, sooner than later. The harder the paint the more prone it is to chipping.

I had a Bell Tourstar 2 helmet with stripes painted on it to match my GPz750 Kawasaki, and everyone thought it was totally rad at the time, long before helmets with cool graphics.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have that exact same helmet and bike color! How about you just sell me that helmet!? haha If you are worried about chipping go to autozone and pick up a can of 3M paint defender. Its basically a clear plastidip and will add a layer of protection that can be easily peeled off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had an impossible time trying to track down the actual paint lot. I even called Yamaha and they mentioned that Colorrite would finally have the exact paint color available "in 6 weeks." That had to be 6-8 weeks ago. I simply had Gunslinger try and match it as closely as possible. I think they use a PPG brand of metallic orange. I can ask them what it is and post here. It will likely be significantly cheaper than Colorrite but if you want it to be exact, check with them. I just looked on the Colorrite site and they don't yet have it listed through the automatic system where you select your bike and year but again, they should be getting it any day now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I would use a craft type of exacto blade on the lever area that you will need to be free to open the visor, sooner than later. The harder the paint the more prone it is to chipping.
I tried scraping around it last night but no luck on breaking the slider loose. I wish I had specifically said "don't paint the sun shield slider." I think it was already black and it would look just fine with all the other black plastic pieces still visible on my helmet. I may very well have to get in touch with Shoei to see if I can replace that slider somehow.

UPDATE: I updated my original post as well. I continued scraping around it and working it with a utility knife and it finally came free. The visor now works as it should.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That looks great. Good idea as well would like to see a pic with the helmet on the bike. Wicked idea bro.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's pretty awesome! I was thinking of doing something similar, only reversed. A mate black base color with the large stripe being orange, and the gray little stripe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That looks great. Good idea as well would like to see a pic with the helmet on the bike. Wicked idea bro.

As some have requested, here is a picture of it on the bike. You won't be able to see it in this picture as well but the helmet is juuuuuuuuuuust ever so slightly a tiny bit more red orange than the orange of the tank. But then I make a living in a profession that pays attention to micro-differences in hue :) But not bad for a PPG paint with no actual paint lot reference.

Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bro I just have to say that is absolutely brilliant. I live in Canada and I don't think we be running the same roads. I do think I'm going to have to get the codes and copy what you have done brilliant idea!!!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
As some have requested, here is a picture of it on the bike. You won't be able to see it in this picture as well but the helmet is juuuuuuuuuuust ever so slightly a tiny bit more red orange than the orange of the tank. But then I make a living in a profession that pays attention to micro-differences in hue :) But not bad for a PPG paint with no actual paint lot reference.

View attachment 6641
thanks! looks totally baddasss!

Reactions: Kilo
1 - 20 of 27 Posts