Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8K-9K

Votes: 2 2.4%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Again this is not riding hooligan or in the mountains when you may want to ride at higher rpms. This is when cruising down a country road and your enjoying the breeze and the smells and the cow shit...you know what I mean.

I keep my rpms between 5k-6k, for better gas millage but I feel that my FZ likes to be 6K and up.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think I'm around 6K

·
Registered
245 Posts
If I'm just cruising at 5-10mph over the speed limit, I'm always in the highest gear I can reasonably be in. 6K would irritate the crap out of me very quickly if I were just enjoying the scenery. Not to mention that the bike would want to wheelie over every rise in the road.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've found 5th & 6th gear not necessary unless I'm over 70 mph; bike doesn't feel like it has enough get away from dumb ass drivers power in those gears under 70.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I honestly don't know. When cruising in 6th I just ride by speed and don't care about RPMs since there's nothing I can do about it at the time. haha... So whatever RPM stock gearing gives me at 100km/h.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Being a heavier feller, 5th gear @ 60mph usually has me floating between 5K-6K rpm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've found 5th & 6th gear not necessary unless I'm over 70 mph; bike doesn't feel like it has enough get away from dumb ass drivers power in those gears under 70.
I've found that while cruising in 5th or 6th at 60 mph or so I can still pull away from idiots pretty easily. Maybe its just my fastest yellow color.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The best thing about this bike is the torque. It pulls at any speed in any gear. I like to keep cruising rpms around 5k or above. It just runs smoother there (all stock).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fellas, some misunderstood the question. I know what 6th or 5th gear will yield you at 60mph. I asked where you like to keep you rpms when cruising. Not highway riding because I'll be in 6th gear doing 70mph and I could not do anything about the RPMs.
For example, I like to keep my at 5K-6K, whether I'm in 2nd or 3rd or 4th. I will shift up if I'm pass 6K or shift down if I'm below 5K...I hope this clears it. Thanks anyways for the responses. ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'll speed if I'm going down twisty country road sometimes. Normally in a power wheelie 1-3rd and set it down at 55-60mph. I've only been on the thru way once with this bike because I was on a group ride.

·
Registered
64 Posts
those speed limit signs are more of a recommendation really...

Ive always gone by sound and feel, which usually puts me cruising right at 4-5k. The engine will tell you everything if you listen to it. Im usually smack dab on 4.5k which sucks sometimes because you get a bit of a lurch every now and then when cruising right at that rpm, courtesy of the o2 sensor afr adjustments.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hell, I don't know. I suppose the highest gear that will give me the responsiveness I'm looking for at that given point in time.

This really isn't something I spend much time thinking about.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Just riding around I like to keep it the 4 to 5 k range. The 09 has so much torque throughout the rpm range, you don't need to go nuts on the rpm's to keep it happy. It will even take off in second gear and not bat and eye, lol.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Donkey when are we going to ride man? I got a buddy with a GSX-S750 and another with a R6, I say we show them what our beasts can do, haha.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Donkey when are we going to ride man? I got a buddy with a GSX-S750 and another with a R6, I say we show them what our beasts can do, haha.
I'm back to work now so tues or Fri night and any day between 1:30 to 6:30.

Update: Did my third oil change and avg 49-50mpg country/city riding using 6th gear at any speed cruising. Still accelerating hard 1-3rd. I really only started riding like that after I put my exhaust on because I ride the same roads a lot. My plate is very easy to remember but perfect for this bike. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts