Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hey all, new to the forum..I'm on the wait list for a new Fz09 at my dealer. Let me list what I've had in the
past.. Started on a 600 shadow, then a 750 shadow (which was a mistake) sold that
and bought a Valkyrie which I loved and put about 30,000 miles on before I sold it.
Then on to the FJR.. Loved that bike but had back issues and the weight moving out of the shed and around was a little much.. Then my latest mistake.. Vstar 950 tourer .. Not that it's a bad bike but I'm missing the grunt and torque I had on the FJR. Hate the power band and shifting on it..So my thinking is after all the reviews and videos I've watched on the FZ is I'm gonna be like a little kid again kinda happy with this bike. So anyone else coming off a cruiser and why? The only reservation I had is that this will be the first chain driven bike (aside from dirt bikes as a kid) I've ever had.. Don't think that'll be an issue though.. Can't wait

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I came from cruisers and having the FZ has made me wonder why I wasted my time on anything cruiser like. This bike has more power is more responsive and the bike handles night and day better.

Reactions: Mothy and Brvt1000

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It is fast and wheelie happy. Only 415 lbs. wet. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well hey all, new to the forum..I'm on the wait list for a new Fz09 at my dealer. Let me list what I've had in the
past.. Started on a 600 shadow, then a 750 shadow (which was a mistake) sold that
and bought a Valkyrie which I loved and put about 30,000 miles on before I sold it.
Then on to the FJR.. Loved that bike but had back issues and the weight moving out of the shed and around was a little much.. Then my latest mistake.. Vstar 950 tourer .. Not that it's a bad bike but I'm missing the grunt and torque I had on the FJR. Hate the power band and shifting on it..So my thinking is after all the reviews and videos I've watched on the FZ is I'm gonna be like a little kid again kinda happy with this bike. So anyone else coming off a cruiser and why? The only reservation I had is that this will be the first chain driven bike (aside from dirt bikes as a kid) I've ever had.. Don't think that'll be an issue though.. Can't wait
I traded my Vstar 1300 for my FZ, I had a ZRX 1100 and an SM400 before I got the Vstar. I thought I wanted to cruise but realized I wanted to ride a Naked !

·
Registered
172 Posts
Im about to put 3,000 miles on my FZ-09 in three months. It took me a year on my Harley to put 3,000 miles on it. Tells you how much I enjoyed (or didn't) riding the Harley compared to something like the FZ-09

·
Registered
957 Posts
Best thing I can tell you is this: Cruisers allow you to get away with having very sloppy technique, so you can get by without ever having to learn about a lot of the finer points of riding. Sportier bikes, like the FZ-09, outright punish you for things that a cruiser would have let go. Aside from your throttle control, don't be surprised if you have to re-learn how to ride all over again, placing a stronger emphasis on orthodox riding techniques this time around. Things like using only the front brake, body position in corners, etc...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best thing I can tell you is this: Cruisers allow you to get away with having very sloppy technique, so you can get by without ever having to learn about a lot of the finer points of riding. Sportier bikes, like the FZ-09, outright punish you for things that a cruiser would have let go. Aside from your throttle control, don't be surprised if you have to re-learn how to ride all over again, placing a stronger emphasis on orthodox riding techniques this time around. Things like using only the front brake, body position in corners, etc...
The FJR rode a lot like a sport bike.. I'm sure I'll have to brush up again but man am I looking forward to it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts