Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Ditto

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
A lot has been written here about the CREE LED headlight upgrade, but I don't believe there ever was a definitive best solution.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Issues abound regarding heat transfer and scattered light into oncoming traffic :(

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Heat should NOT be an issue with the LED lighting, as it draws less current than the standard halogen bulbs that are OEM. As far as scatter goes, I really couldn't tell ya....I've had my LED light since late last year but have yet to ride the FZ at night.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Heat should NOT be an issue with the LED lighting, as it draws less current than the standard halogen bulbs that are OEM. As far as scatter goes, I really couldn't tell ya....I've had my LED light since late last year but have yet to ride the FZ at night.
Why do people post about "fans" used in conjunction with the CREE LED Setup...???

50-65% of my riding is at night:cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Why do people post about "fans" used in conjunction with the CREE LED Setup...??? 50-65% of my riding is at night:cool:
Exactly. I see fans, bulbs with sexy heat sinks, scattered light/poor beam cut off and a range of wattages and color temperatures. FJR Rider did a nice write up and then I read somewhere from the guy that bought FJR's bike that it was low beam only. Why should this be so hard? Intuitively, if the placement of the LED chips matches the filament position of the OEM light, shouldn't it be a straightforward swap? But noooo!

Maybe this latest thread will prompt someone that has the "right" setup to set us straight.

Honestly I don't ride at night, out in rural environs, but I have been thinking about CREE LED aux lights to address that.
The folks over on the Tiger1050 forum, were rabid devotees of the CREE LED aux lights, even though the one setup I personally
witnessed was ridiculous with it's crazy output and beam spread. No way you could ride a bike anywhere with oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The 'scatter' that has been mentioned is most likely due to the way the headlight reflector is faceted, along with the light pattern the LED may put out being less than optimal in comparison to a standard halogen bulb when used in conjunction with a reflector that was 'optimized' for incandescent. LED bulbs work great with a projector beam set up, but let's face it-the headlight on the 09 pretty much sucks regardless of what kind of bulb is used. PIAA bulbs are an improvement over stock, but it's still difficult to dial in the high beam so it's not aiming in the trees, and then if you get that close, the low beam is too low...sigh

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
LED bulbs work great with a projector beam set up, but let's face it-the headlight on the 09 pretty much sucks regardless of what kind of bulb is used. PIAA bulbs are an improvement over stock, but it's still difficult to dial in the high beam so it's not aiming in the trees, and then if you get that close, the low beam is too low...sigh
So which PIAA bulb have you been using? And anybody have a real world review of the performance and price of the enry level, plain-jane AHR projector retrofit?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
So which PIAA bulb have you been using? And anybody have a real world review of the performance and price of the enry level, plain-jane AHR projector retrofit?
I'm using the PIAA Xtreme White Plus-they burn at 4000K and are much whiter than the yellowish stock halogen. They also sell the Super Plasma GTX which burn at 5000K, but they look a little too blueish to me, and from past experience on other bikes, the higher on the Kelvin scale the bulbs burn the less focused the beam pattern and you end up with dead spots where you'd really like illumination-probably more so on a reflector not designed for bulbs that bright. I can't say whether the Super Plasma's would work well on the 09, but the Xtreme Whites are a pretty decent bulb-albeit a bit pricey.

As far as an AHR retrofit, unfortunately can't help you with that...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm using the same 4000k PIAA Bulb. Sold on Amazon for about $75/2 pack. My experience with the Hi/low beam is identical.:(

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it seem that led dont light more than pia, anywone have try it?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'm using PIAA Xtreme whites in both bikes. I wanted to go LED and I put one in my SV650 but the reflector bucket only lit up the top half...might be due to the bulb itself. The LED seemed to light up the road better laterally but I wasn't impressed with it. The PIAAs are fine IMO.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
So what are those fork mounted lights?
They are the Denali D2's mounted at the bottom of the Yamaha side radiator guards. $350 spent because I ride at night a lot and didn't find the PIAA Headlamp bulb satisfactory, and the CREE LED concept is too fuzzy for me at this point.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
They are the Denali D2's mounted at the bottom of the Yamaha side radiator guards. $350 spent because I ride at night a lot and didn't find the PIAA Headlamp bulb satisfactory, and the CREE LED concept is too fuzzy for me at this point.
I suppose I could have read your sig to see the make of driving lights. Ooops!
The Denali's are a little rich for my blood. But they must work pretty well.

And please tell me your avatar photo, is a picture of your pool girl/wife/girlfriend.
Would you send me a full size version in a PM? :)))

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
TI suppose I could have read your sig to see the make of driving lights. Ooops!
The Denali's are a little rich for my blood. But they must work pretty well.
They do work well. There are other companies who make similar products.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i just sold my s2000...such an awesome car and i hate that i sold it..that being said..those HID's on that car were absolutely amazing..i dont think any thing you do to this bike will be like the s...hopefully you can get close though

·
Registered
670 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts