Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received my CREE LED H4 High/Low from ElectricalConnection.com and today is warm enough to add this interesting farkle.

Here is their website.

EC - LED Headlight Bulb - H4 High/Low

The package arrived within 3 days of order and everything looked of high quality. The kit consisted of the H4 CREE bulb, a transformer, a mini fan assembly and a PVC fan duct. The instructions were OK.

Step1: Remove the headlight from the bike

Step 2: Remove the existing H4 Bulb.

Old bulb and the CREE LED Bulb

Step 3: Install the new CREE LED Bulb

Step 4: Install mini fan and duct

Step 5: Decide where you want to mount the transformer.

The requirements are:

1. It has to be close to the Headlight
2. It must turn with the headlight and fork
3. It should not interfere with the headlight assembly

I decided the best place was next to the horn and I would need a special bracket. I used a piece of aluminum sheet and fabricated a small bracket.

It would mount adjacent to the horn and mount between the horn and the horn fork mount.

Test everything. Good to go!

Step 6: Reassemble

I took the bracket apart and pained it with some satin black rattle-can stuff I had in the basement. Now it matches the rest of the fittings and doesn't look so home made.

Here is the finished assembly.

All back together.

Before the modification I measured the stock headight with my wife's light meter (she's a professional photographer) one foot in front of the center of the headlight, engine running. It read 2037 lumens

After the modification a I measured the same way and got 4024 lumens.

All in all not a bad modification for $79.95 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
what does the beam pattern look like? i.e. with the bike about 25-30 feet away from a wall, how close does the projected beam resemble the stock bulb's? how well does the led headlight work when you're actually riding at night?

the measurement you took only tells us that the led bulb throws out twice as much light at a point in the air one foot in front of the headlight. since headlights are meant to light up the road, that number isn't very meaningful.

a better way is to measure the light output at multiple points on the ground that the headlight is meant to illuminate.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what does the beam pattern look like? i.e. with the bike about 25-30 feet away from a wall, how close does the projected beam resemble the stock bulb's? how well does the led headlight work when you're actually riding at night?

the measurement you took only tells us that the led bulb throws out twice as much light at a point in the air one foot in front of the headlight. since headlights are meant to light up the road, that number isn't very meaningful.

a better way is to measure the light output at multiple points on the ground that the headlight is meant to illuminate.

The CREE bulb appears to have the same focal length as the standard H4 bulb.

So, parabolically, the pattern should be the same. Me going out in the upcoming sub-zero weather to perform a brightness test for you will be very, very unlikely. This spring I'll try to shoot a photo or two showing the illumination.

I'm not trying to sell this bulb assembly to anyone. It is just a pictorial description of a modification I chose to do.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The CREE bulb appears to have the same focal length as the standard H4 bulb.
an h4 bulb has two filaments (focal points), but with this bulb there's only a single cree led on each side. how are the led's aligned, are they both at the same focal length, or are they staggered to match the h4's filaments? and how does the high/low beam work?

if the light sources aren't located precisely, it will have a negative effect on the beam pattern (think early hid 'conversions').

So, parabolically, the pattern should be the same. Me going out in the upcoming sub-zero weather to perform a brightness test for you will be very, very unlikely. This spring I'll try to shoot a photo or two showing the illumination.
photometric measurements on the ground are the definitive way to determine how well the road is being lit, but even projecting the beam onto a wall 25 feet away and comparing the beam pattern to the standard bulb's is good start. you'll see right away if the beam pattern's a mess.

I'm not trying to sell this bulb assembly to anyone. It is just a pictorial description of a modification I chose to do.
i get that, and i wasn't attacking you. some people do mods strictly for cosmetic reasons and that's fine, but these are headlights and potentially a safety issue. someone who doesn't know any better might read your post and say 'hey, my headlight will be twice as bright for only $80', do the mod himself and go riding at night and find out he can't see as well or, even worse, crash because of it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
an h4 bulb has two filaments (focal points), but with this bulb there's only a single cree led on each side. how are the led's aligned, are they both at the same focal length, or are they staggered to match the h4's filaments?
They are staggered to match the H4 specification.

From their website:

The LED is finally able to produce enough light to be a viable headlight bulb. Instead of placing surface mount LEDs around in a circle, our design uses dual 180 degree CREE emitters on both the top and bottom of the 'bulb'. The center of the LEDs are in exactly the same place as where light comes from in a standard Halogen bulb. So what does that mean? It means that the light projected from the LED array will hit the headlight reflector exactly the same way your halogen bulb does. This is important.

if the light sources aren't located precisely, it will have a negative effect on the beam pattern (think early hid 'conversions').

photometric measurements on the ground are the definitive way to determine how well the road is being lit, but even projecting the beam onto a wall 25 feet away and comparing the beam pattern to the standard bulb's is good start. you'll see right away if the beam pattern's a mess.
This is what I am expecting.

i get that, and i wasn't attacking you. some people do mods strictly for cosmetic reasons and that's fine, but these are headlights and potentially a safety issue. someone who doesn't know any better might read your post and say 'hey, my headlight will be twice as bright for only $80', do the mod himself and go riding at night and find out he can't see as well or, even worse, crash because of it.
This headlight bulb was featured on Motorcyclist Magazine's "Best of AIMEXPO. It isn't something I picked out at random and tried.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The company is located where i live and they have come up with a 6500K variant ... I'll try to get pics of it :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
They are staggered to match the H4 specification.

From their website:

The LED is finally able to produce enough light to be a viable headlight bulb. Instead of placing surface mount LEDs around in a circle, our design uses dual 180 degree CREE emitters on both the top and bottom of the 'bulb'. The center of the LEDs are in exactly the same place as where light comes from in a standard Halogen bulb. So what does that mean? It means that the light projected from the LED array will hit the headlight reflector exactly the same way your halogen bulb does. This is important.

This headlight bulb was featured on Motorcyclist Magazine's "Best of AIMEXPO. It isn't something I picked out at random and tried.

Eager to see what you think of the new light on your first night ride. I also saw this article and was interested.
BTW, where did you get your radiator guard?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

that's actually pretty bad for a headlight. see how it's even lighting up the ceiling? a headlight doesn't need to throw that much light that high, not even on high beam - the light is better directed elsewhere, like to the sides.

but it seems like that video isn't of the cree bulb you bought, it seems to be this:

10W CREE LED Foglight, LED for Motorcycles India

funny that they call it a 'fog light' though, since that beam pattern would be even worse for fog than it would be as a headlight. all of that light would reflect off the fog and right into your eyes. a proper fog light has a short, very wide throw that shines under the fog, not directly into it.

better to call that one an auxiliary light, or spotlight. they're useful if you regularly ride after dark in deserted areas with no oncoming traffic or low flying airplanes to blind. they're a common mod for adventure bike riders.

i wouldn't go for that indian one, though, i'd spring for one of these:

http://www.clearwaterlights.com/products2_pp.html

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
that's actually pretty bad for a headlight. see how it's even lighting up the ceiling? a headlight doesn't need to throw that much light that high, not even on high beam - the light is better directed elsewhere, like to the sides.

but it seems like that video isn't of the cree bulb you bought, it seems to be this:

10W CREE LED Foglight, LED for Motorcycles India

funny that they call it a 'fog light' though, since that beam pattern would be even worse for fog than it would be as a headlight. all of that light would reflect off the fog and right into your eyes. a proper fog light has a short, very wide throw that shines under the fog, not directly into it.

better to call that one an auxiliary light, or spotlight. they're useful if you regularly ride after dark in deserted areas with no oncoming traffic or low flying airplanes to blind. they're a common mod for adventure bike riders.

i wouldn't go for that indian one, though, i'd spring for one of these:

Products List
It's just a video that looks like what I am seeing in my garage. Nothing else.

I bought the item from electricalconnections.com, a US company.

If you don't like the color.

If you don't like the pattern.

If you don't like the technology.

DON'T BUY ONE.

I like LED lighting. And I am happy with my purchase and with the increased amount of light it throws out. This thread is not to sell anyone else on it. It's just my installation video.

Is this some sort of issue? You seem to have a hard-on for this thread.

PS.

I already have Clearwater Glenda's on my FJR and the CREE LED is brighter than the pair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Simple questions since today I was about to install a generic hid kit I had but i really enjoy CREE lights...
1. Do you still have the high beam?
2. How high is the light? I mean, does it "flash" the upcoming traffic as any generic hid kit?
Thanks

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Simple questions since today I was about to install a generic hid kit I had but i really enjoy CREE lights...
1. Do you still have the high beam?
2. How high is the light? I mean, does it "flash" the upcoming traffic as any generic hid kit?
Thanks
It is a drop in replacement for the H4 bulb. So it has Hi/Low and allignment from your existing bulb should not change.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am going to try these, Why? because I installed these
Custom Dynamics Billet Bullet LED Driving Lights | 444-778 | J&P Cycles
on my beemer and they work wonders. One of them puts out as much light as low beam.
What I needed was more light to the sides like, "where the hell is the damn apex?" or "there is an intersection here but no street light so where exactly is the right lane?" and I got it. I spend a lot of time aligning them and so far not even once has anyone blinked me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's probably not DOT legal/approved then? If it looks a lot brighter than normal the LEOs might get interested like when people run 100w halogen bulbs. Just a thought.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hummm, so you never ran any aftermarket, "for off road use only" pipes? You always fasten your seat belt. Never have had one more drink than you should have? Also I installed a switch so they are not on all the time. I would much rather get a ticket than die because I can't see the road.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Hummm, so you never ran any aftermarket, "for off road use only" pipes? You always fasten your seat belt. Never have had one more drink than you should have? Also I installed a switch so they are not on all the time. I would much rather get a ticket than die because I can't see the road.
My guess is that Coreytrevor is just trying to give you a friendly heads up on the legality of it, not telling you to not do it.

Reactions: RBC
1 - 20 of 74 Posts