Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Creating a Creature... with a 9ers heart.

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  motomania 
#1 ·
I realize winter is over but always looking for the next project for rain days and the next winter. Not going to revel all the plans yet and still have some planning yet. However i came across a wadded up 9er ( squided out) and i found the heart to my own creature. Has anyone heard if someone out there manufacturing aftermarket performance engine parts for the 9ers yet? Figured the stock motor is good BUT would be exciting to see what you could really get out of it with out adding a turbo. :cool: Looking for rods, pistons, cam, springs, valves. pretty much a total tear down rebuild.

#5 ·
The creating is 3/4 of the fun. To be honest i would prob fab my own anyways just would like to see what the big manufactures use as a starting off point. I havent totally ruled out the turbo yet. :evil6:

#9 ·
My vote is forced feeding. :) Can't beat a turbo for the power, and the crazy grin it will stick on your face for weeks.

Weeks.

On a bike, a turbo makes me scared, but on other creatures? Oh, that would be fun indeed. :) Get an old ATC 250 frame, wider front arms, longer rear swing arm, and build yourself the ultimate sand dune/dirt ATV. (This engine would be great in a quad, especially with a turbo to really peak the power.)

#12 ·
Put a turbo on it and put the engine in a dirt bike. Old school Yamaha frame and suspension dirt bike would be out of control.

#16 ·
It is funny how engines have changed over the last couple of decades.

I am in the process of moving and have a few project bikes in various stages of assembly and as a result I have the following engines laying around loose:
1988 FZR400
2002 FZ1
1997 250 Ninja
1990 EX500
The 250 and 500 engines are not very different in design or weight. The 250 is very short stroke of course but I was expecting the 250 to be much lighter than the 500 and it wasn't

I was really surprised with the FZ1 and FZR400 mills as they feel very similar in weight. When I can find my scale, I am going to weigh them just so I know.

As for what I would like to see with the FZ09 engine: I want to see one in a R6 frame and then run it against an equivalently prepped R6 with a pro rider on a race track to see how they compare.

The R1 has much more power and would likely be much faster than the FZ09 engined R6. I could be wrong but it would be worth checking out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.