Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a great time riding today. I wrote about that in the "ride report" so I won't bore that with you here. Today was my first experience on a highway, which went fine, and my first time on really twisty roads that were steep in both directions.

I have some questions for your guys:

(1) When you are going downhill in a turn, especially a steep turn, do you brake?
Everything from MSF was "never brake in a turn." I don't break in turns, I judge my entry speed and go, but today was different. I did brake while going down the mountain while in the curve. It didn't feel like anything bad was going on. I had also downshifted and was in second or third gear. Is this okay since it's downhill?

(2) How do you handle twisty up hills? Do you do anything special?

(3) How many of you hit the horn when you are trying to turn on or shut off your turn signal? (This happened to me today like three times :)

Hope you guys are enjoying the nicer weather and are getting out there on your bikes. This bike is awesome and I love it even more. It feels like an old friend now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes Jen sometimes you have to break going downhill in a turn but be careful if there is gravel, dirt, or anything suspicious in the curve. I ran over a very flat small animal going downhill in a curve last month at night and I did slip around some. It's ok to use the motor for a break. I don't do anything special going up a steep hill except listen to my motor and shift accordingly. Had a very nice ride myself and my daughter is taking me out to dinner this evening. :color: :cool: :color:

UPDATE: I assumed Jen was riding slow and not cornering at a high speed given other posts she has made. I believe she said she operated her FZ-09 in the 2000-4000 rpm range and she was riding with a group. Jen ask for experience not expertise. I don't ride on tracks and don't desire to plus there are non close to me. When it comes to high speed cornering advice I leave that to those who do it. I ride some roads that when you come out of one turn you enter another and sometimes it is a steep descent. If I go into a corner at 50 mph, I exit at 50-60 mph, if I'm in that mode, and have reasonable vision ahead with no desire to be only on my back tire. I'm not consistent in the speed I ride. Sometimes I ride faster than others. When it comes to riding a motorcycle I don't think you ever quit learning or at least I hope I never do.
Yep Jen I've hit that darn horn button unintentionally.
:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am no expert either but sometimes you have to brake in a turn. For example, if you go around a turn and you cant see around it like when along a mountain or a wooded area and elevation changes. That's why a good front suspension set up it really beneficial (along with good brakes, lol). but when all clear I usually throttle out of the turn.
I like uphill twisties the best, definitely when you have clear vision and nothing in way, power on.
Some turns you get used to and can throttle through with no brake. It all depends. Like I said I am no expert race driver.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
No expert here either but bike or car are the same. Most of the braking need to be done before the turn. You can still brake going in the turn (trail braking) but as you lean you need to release the pressure gently and get back on the gas gently and straight up.

On bone stock suspension you will get to the limit kind of soon. But if your ride is dialed for the road and riding style... you can push a bit and this is where fun start. Make sure you give yourself some room for crap on the road. Better test the limit on a clean race track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
I always hit the horn when I'm trying to cancel the signal. Pisses me off. I wait until a got a clear sec and look down.
That's funny, I cant hit the horn even if I try. And I never try, lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Everything from MSF was "never brake in a turn."
Jen, we teach that in the BRC to beginners. It's also taught in the BRC2. In the ARC (Advanced Rider Course), trail braking is introduced, and in one of the exercises you actually apply the brakes while leaned over. BRC is foundational.

These are 2 of my favorite motorcycle publications.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Sa...0&sr=8-1&keywords=msf+motorcycling+excellence

Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track: Nick Ienatsch, Kenny Roberts: 9781893618077: Amazon.com: Books

·
Registered
117 Posts
Horn: Yep all the time. Makes car drivers think I'm either nice or an ass :)
Up hill: Throttle control, throttle control, throttle control second & third gear work well for gears but all in the wrist.
Down hill: Use your engine braking in conjunction with front going in and trail braking through if you are unfamiliar with the road. Ride conservative until you know your bike slow well before entering and LOOK THROUGH THE TURN! It's where you are going.

That's what I do. Take it for what it's worth. But above all be careful! !

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, today was a "pushing my comfort zone" kind of day. At some point that has to happen. I'm really happy with the bike, have no regrets, and got over my highway thing. I was nervous in my head about highways, but it was fine. I was also really happy today because I got my first manual car and I can actually drive it like a regular car. I've always wanted to be able to do that. I have like 560 miles on the Camaro, so that's one more thing for the summer, put some miles on the bike and on the car. The group we ride with goes on all kinds of crazy rides, 12 hour rides. Today was a short day. I thought we would ride maybe 50 miles. The 50 miles turned into 90 and that doesn't include the other 40 that I didn't ride with them (followed them to the biker breakfast in the car...hah, 25 bikes and a Camaro as sweep)

Thanks for the recommendations!

Reactions: Steve101

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Braking, while leaned over in a corner is an acquired skill that should be practiced ONLY when you have learned to be smooth on both the throttle and the brakes. Let me repeat that..........ONLY when you have learned to be smooth on the both the throttle and the brakes. Any sudden braking done on the front brake while leaned over, could cause a low-side faster than you can imagine it happening. Your front tire only has a certain amount of available traction and if you are straight up and down and braking, there is a lot of grip. As you start to lean the bike over, you will lose some of your available traction or grip, as the lateral forces are trying to cause the bike to continue in the direction of the momentum. So, the further the bike is leaned over, less braking traction is available....thus you start trailing off of the brake and using the available traction for cornering. There is a lot more involved in this, and it's certainly not a skill that can be learned in a day or two, but a very valuable tool to have in your arsenal of riding skills........just don't try it until you are very smooth on your braking application.....every single time you brake.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm guessing she wasn't leaned very far over in those turns. i remember when I was a newb, downhill turns used to be scary as $hit, and consequently I would take them real slow. Thats probably how her ride was going down those hills...but Triple, great explanation of the mechanics of braking!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I was told the same thing in my riders class and have been skeered to brake in a turn ever since lol. Someone even went down in a curve in that class due to braking so that made it worse haha. I need to take an advance riders class. Its on my list of things to do at the end of this riding season. Until then im taking it easy in the turns.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
I simply cannot emphasize enough, the importance of learning to trail brake, but it absolutely MUST be learning in baby steps and again, after you have learned to be smooth on the binders. As an example, on the track, with the Michelin Power Cup tires on my track bike, which are just incredibly sticky when up to temps, I have been leaned over far enough to have my knee not only down, but pulled back in a little bit to get some more lean angle, AND still be on the brakes slightly and coming into the apex of the corner.....without any issues. I will say this though, any mistake on my part like too much brake lever pressure or stabbing the lever even slightly, and I would be on my side, sliding through the corner. In a more street oriented scenario, knowing how to use the front brake to scrub off a little more speed when you get into a corner, to tighten up your line because of something in the road, is invaluable.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These were 15-20 mph turns. I was braking when the bike was as upright as possible, but it was turn after turn. I had to brake somewhere. We were on stretches of winding downhill and uphill turns.

I'm so ridiculous that I will only ride on a route that I have first traveled by car, so I know what to expect.

Today was different. I followed. It was more trying to follow someone who signaled almost last minute, combined with riding in a completely unfamiliar area.

·
Registered
584 Posts
We had a great time riding today. I wrote about that in the "ride report" so I won't bore that with you here. Today was my first experience on a highway, which went fine, and my first time on really twisty roads that were steep in both directions.

I have some questions for your guys:

(1) When you are going downhill in a turn, especially a steep turn, do you brake?
Everything from MSF was "never brake in a turn." I don't break in turns, I judge my entry speed and go, but today was different. I did brake while going down the mountain while in the curve. It didn't feel like anything bad was going on. I had also downshifted and was in second or third gear. Is this okay since it's downhill?

(2) How do you handle twisty up hills? Do you do anything special?

(3) How many of you hit the horn when you are trying to turn on or shut off your turn signal? (This happened to me today like three times :)

Hope you guys are enjoying the nicer weather and are getting out there on your bikes. This bike is awesome and I love it even more. It feels like an old friend now.
The horn button location is really bad!!!! When you need the horn you get turn signals and when you need turn signals you get the horn! With all it's faults...the Harley's horn "button" is great... It's a lever at the bottom of the cluster that is easy to find and very "natural"... Surely compared to the FZ!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
As long as you're talking about light braking and not really hard braking with simultaneous hard cornering, there should be no problem. I suspect the MSF course assumes the worst case scenario, poor handling bike with hard, low traction touring tires and less than ideal road conditions. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You can use the front brakes in a turn, but you have to be smooth. It's a small question with lots of different, very long answers.
Say the tyres have $1 to spend. It can be spent on steering and braking. If you are spending 90c on braking, you can only spend 10c on steering, or vice versa if you get what i mean.
The big thing is being smooth between them.
What i remember about braking from my learners course in Aus 20 years ago is setup, squeeze and ease. Set up the brakes (gentle, so the pads are in contact with the rotors), squeeze them on (not grab a fistful, but squeeeeeeeze them smooth, steady and firm, getting progressively harder) and then ease off (rather than just letting go suddenly).
This helps to keep the bikes weight settled, so you can transition from brakes to turning faster. Work on smooth, fast will come.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts