1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I saw her wheels move

grabbed a full four fingers of front brake and locked up

tried to keep it up but I panicked and went down

I wasn't going too fast and she was at the top of the hill poking out of a semi-bilnd drive

Too much brake too fast and too hard - now I've learned

I could use a little community support - thanks, Eric

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sucks dude. Glad it wasn't worse. How did the left side of the tank get dinged? Bars swung that far back?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Ive seen insurance companies total bikes with less frame damage... I'm interested in what they decide to do with your frame. That right side looks like it got a little attention...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
As long as you're ok... it's now a lesson learned. Order some new bits to make yourself feel better, including the brake pedal. You'll be able to bend it back a little, but it will most likely snap off if you try to go all the way back... if it were steel you could, but its aluminum. Reminds me... I need to practice my emergency stops too.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Seems like the insurance companies scrap any part with a scratch, so with the frame damage they might call it totaled. If they do will you consider buying it back? Where are you located?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Seems like the insurance companies scrap any part with a scratch, so with the frame damage they might call it totaled. If they do will you consider buying it back? Where are you located?
Hopefully it's totaled. Buy it back... Did that with my first 'nice car' that got banged up in a tornado when I was young. Turned out to be a great move. Got it fixed up good as new and got to pay a lot less for the car in the end.

Sorry about the crash though. :(

·
Registered
350 Posts
Buy some shorty levers and move on. No worries, the first scratch is the hardest. Really, my bikes have all Been commuters. I don't grit the 'my bike is perfect and will always be' thing. Too bad but bend the brake foot lever back in place with a vice grip and keep riding. Replace the scratched bits if you like but it's not the end of the world mate.
The point is to keep having fun.

·
Registered
554 Posts
That's pretty minor stuff. As they say, "That'll buff right out!"

Most important thing is that you're ok, and being willing to post up about the mistake just might help someone else in the future so thanks!

Hope it all sorts out to your satisfaction.

Daniel

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Glad to hear that you didn't get hurt, bub! No doubt... seeing the bike like that hurts. May the bike "Get well, soon!"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As long as you're ok... it's now a lesson learned. Order some new bits to make yourself feel better, including the brake pedal. You'll be able to bend it back a little, but it will most likely snap off if you try to go all the way back... if it were steel you could, but its aluminum. Reminds me... I need to practice my emergency stops too.
I literally practiced a hard full stop earlier that day - it's a false sense of preparation for a panic stop that you don't think you have enough room for

almost immediately, I was overcome with anger that I didn't have ABS because it would have prevented it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buy some shorty levers and move on. No worries, the first scratch is the hardest. Really, my bikes have all Been commuters. I don't grit the 'my bike is perfect and will always be' thing. Too bad but bend the brake foot lever back in place with a vice grip and keep riding. Replace the scratched bits if you like but it's not the end of the world mate.
The point is to keep having fun.
I'm definitely considering a shorty brake lever so when I panic next time (and after I practice more) I'll be less likely to lock it up - is this off-base?

I could use a recommendation for a black shorty brake lever

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully it's totaled. Buy it back... Did that with my first 'nice car' that got banged up in a tornado when I was young. Turned out to be a great move. Got it fixed up good as new and got to pay a lot less for the car in the end.

Sorry about the crash though. :(
Thanks guys, I'm in Syracuse

so hopefully the bike makes it into the shop today but if I'm just hoping for everything back to perfect mechanical working order then we're not talking about totaling it right?

does it get ugly when you start considering fixing everything like replacing the frame?

·
Registered
43 Posts
...does it get ugly when you start considering fixing everything like replacing the frame?
When I had my incident the damage was similar to yours except my frame didn't get scratched. The Progressive adjuster looked at it real carefully and told me he would probably have had to total it if it were scratched. On the bright side, it was only about $650 for the parts from Stadium Yamaha and I put I fixed it myself. The tank was 60% of the cost. Since the frame is stamped with the VIN a new frame = totaled I'd think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In my youth I would have come unhinged. The older I get, I can say it's only bent metal. You can fix that and move on. It's much more important for the rider to come out ok.
I think I kept my cool - the ambulance checked me out and my left shin started to swell pretty bad with a nice long scrape from something on the bike, but after a full evaluation nothing seemed too bad and we decided if the bike was rolling I could get home

3 days later, the swelling has subsided 95% and I've self diagnosed a tibia fracture but it isn't keeping me from walking/standing pretty normally

I'm now looking for a pair of race boots that will cover the lower shin where I was injured

otherwise, it didn't hurt initially but I can now tell that I landed on my left arm because my shoulder and bicep is super sore without any bruising

minimal road rash (through my heavy Vanson AR2) on my rear left lower back (flank?) and left elbow

I'm now devising a velcro system for my purchased but never used shoulder and elbow bio armor for the jacket

The Vanson held up perfectly and now has some rugged wear that should server as a reminder as well as look bad ass

fortunately, my Levi's didn't see much action but I can tell I slid on my butt a little and lost some stitches

I don't think I hit my head and my helmet seems fine but I need to replace it?

The palm sliders on my Racer Sicuros worked faultlessly and I love those gloves.

this is the only way I really know how to learn.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I think with that frame scrape it'll be declared totaled, so be ready to hear it. Personally I'd keep it, in 2000 my one year old SV650 was declared totaled from a 70mph fawn (massively bent forks, radiator, tank, etc damage, don't recall the frame being damaged but maybe they assumed it was bent because of the fork bending.) I bought it back from the insurance company, turned it into a great track day bike, and bought a new SV650 for the street.

Do you completely own your 09 or is there a loan on it?

Better leg protection than Levis is worth it, IMO.

Edit: If your helmet isn't marked I'd keep using it. I've kept using road rashed helmets, but maybe I'm not as careful about that as some people.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts