Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know how many have purchased this bike due to its upright riding position slightly longer suspension travel and supermoto style, to allow its use on rougher
driveways and dirt road access to asphalt than a sport bike can handle. I did since I live in the southwest (New Mexico) where many roads are unimproved. My last street bike was a KTM 950 Supermoto-R which could handle some rough conditions but since my 7 miles of driveway were rutted and sandy it was a hazardous ride always.
Now my drive is graded to a smooth hard dirt and basecourse surface in most places I thought the FZ09 could easily handle the ride with the correct tires and careful riding but there is still some rough areas of rock to cross and unfortunately I found how limited the clearance was on my first ride out when I scraped the oil plug guard on a rock ledge while traveling slowly and standing on a path thru the rock previously used for the Supermoto which also had limited clearance. The main issue is the guard in front of the oil plug directs all the weight of the rider and bike in a small area and in my case cracked the oil pan between the guard and plug causing a leak. Thanks to Santa Fe Motorsports owner Sid he is willing to help offset the repair and will contact Yamaha about the possible need for a redesign of the guard or strengthening the bottom of the pan since this situation could easily happen by less extreme conditions like riding off a curb or uneven asphalt near a road edge. Just wanted some input if anyone has heard of a skidplate or had this problem and to warn owners that don't assume a small hit on the guard is to be avoided. I will be keeping the damaged pan and having some racing friends add some ridges and material to it in case this happens again to spread the weight over the whole surface and not just one small area in my opinion this would have been a sensible design to begin with since worrying about pan breakage limits the hooligan image this bike portrays.
Later Rick

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Interesting factoid about the design/location of the drain plug.

I have seen several guys crack, chip, ding, punch and otherwise cause holes in the crankcases of their DIRTBIKES from nothing more than a small rock getting kicked up by the front wheel and impacting the crankcase without even a plastic skidplate to deflect the rock away.

I would never expect a bare crankcase of a streetbike to put up with the sort of use you describe on a daily basis.

Sure I would be upset if I went down a dirt road on some one off situation where I happen to take a dirt road but that is different.

Your driveway is 7 miles of dirt and gravel to be crossed every time you go riding. I think that is a bit more adventurous than Yamaha intended for this bike.

I suggest you spend some time fabricating a skidplate to protect your crankcase/oil pan. Even a plastic one will help a lot!

On a lot of the old in-line 4 bikes the headers wrapped under the bike and protected the crankcase. The crankcase of bikes with lower fairings and chin cowls are protected by that plastic.

It sucks that you found this out and I appreciate you posting and letting us all know so we can hopefully avoid the same fate.

Reactions: bob.plentl

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are many other bike suited to your needs. The FZ-09 is a street bike and not MXer. I don't think Yamaha needs to redesign the FZ-09 because of your rough and unimproved roads. Again, there are many more bikes available to better suite your needs.
I am aware of the risks I take and accept the results of my area, But I still am concerned over common street structures like speed bumps and uneven driveway entrances and exits or the always present road construction that may cause an impact that a stronger guard design could handle.
Rick

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I am aware of the risks I take and accept the results of my area, But I still am concerned over common street structures like speed bumps and uneven driveway entrances and exits or the always present road construction that may cause an impact that a stronger guard design could handle.
Rick
I have 4 horrible speed bumps to clear daily on my way to work and back. My driveway entrance has a severe incline from the road then plateaus to parking. No problems.

Just saying the FZ-09 is a cool bike and very affordable but it may be unsuitable for your requirements/environment.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
OK, I'll say it since no one has mentioned it yet (I'm surprised)......

You need to spend more time on the rear wheel and this won't happen!

Seriously, sorry to hear about what happened and glad you are going to get some help on getting it resolved!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 4 horrible speed bumps to clear daily on my way to work and back. My driveway entrance has a severe incline from the road then plateaus to parking. No problems.

Just saying the FZ-09 is a cool bike and very affordable but it may be unsuitable for your requirements/environment.
that's good to know since I didn't get much asphalt time after noticing the leak, I will have to pay for my extreme use and I accept that but I love street bikes and especially standard/supermoto styles and trailering or trucking out just gets old fast, and I remember when all dirtbikes were standard style with knobbies and hi-pipes, mainly just a warning post
to be aware that a small scrape can be an expensive fix. Just a side note on the hard packed dirt the bike is a blast and I just can't wrap myself around a dualsport or enduro so if I screw-up again its the dealers benefit but I will be strengthening the damaged pan just in case. I envy those that have easy access to asphalt.
Rick

·
Registered
518 Posts
that's good to know since I didn't get much asphalt time after noticing the leak, I will have to pay for my extreme use and I accept that but I love street bikes and especially standard/supermoto styles and trailering or trucking out just gets old fast, and I remember when all dirtbikes were standard style with knobbies and hi-pipes, mainly just a warning post
to be aware that a small scrape can be an expensive fix. Just a side note on the hard packed dirt the bike is a blast and I just can't wrap myself around a dualsport or enduro so if I screw-up again its the dealers benefit but I will be strengthening the damaged pan just in case. I envy those that have easy access to asphalt.
Rick
There is a company in europe that has a skid plate and center stand...would offer decent protection .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info do you have any website address, or I will search using MT09 may turn up something, did look at the worldcrosser thread but no info if all shown was custom made as I suspect.
Rick

·
Registered
60 Posts
same this happened to me when i went over a curb! oil spilled everywhere. the bike had under 1000kms on it.

after seeing how the street rally 09 has been getting ridden (jump down stairs, small dirt jumps) you get the impression its a rally bike. but you have to always be thinking about how low the bike actually is, not much higher than any supersport bike.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Could be worse.
This made the rounds on a KLR650 list where I am a member.
Ouch!
P1060791.jpg P1060816.jpg

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I'll say it since no one has mentioned it yet (I'm surprised)......

You need to spend more time on the rear wheel and this won't happen!

Seriously, sorry to hear about what happened and glad you are going to get some help on getting it resolved!
let see now the range is from not suitable for rough roads to wheelie over rock obstacles, I like your train of thought great reply
Rick

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
same this happened to me when i went over a curb! oil spilled everywhere. the bike had under 1000kms on it.

after seeing how the street rally 09 has been getting ridden (jump down stairs, small dirt jumps) you get the impression its a rally bike. but you have to always be thinking about how low the bike actually is, not much higher than any supersport bike.
I kinda hoped I was the only one with this issue and I did see the Yamaha video with them flattracking thru the dirt, which did appeal to me since my other bikes are dirttrack racers
Rick

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good idea, I am also looking at recessing the plug removing the guard and adding thickness to pan bottom, will see what works when the damaged pan is available
Thanx again Rick

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Too funny!

Motomachines sells the center stand and skid plate:
Skid Plate - Yamaha FZ09
Centerstand - Yamaha FZ09
Thanx for the info checked the skidplate link and when using there zoom in tool you see the plug guard and plug still exposed and it gives you the picture of how the weight of the bike and rider is concentrated on a small point in the event of a hit. but thanx all info is good for ideas.
Rick

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the 09 might have more suspension travel and be more motardish than a standard street bike, but yamaha specifies 5.3 inches of ground clearance which is about typical.

also remember that the stock suspension is soft so if you're a big guy the effective ground clearance will be even less.

maybe a full belly pan like this one might deflect impact from below, though it's hard to tell from the pics if the bottom is fully enclosed or not:

BELLY PAN - YAMAHA MT-09 14/FZ-09 14 - Powerbronze USA

·
Registered
60 Posts
was it the sump bolt guard bit on the pan that caused the crack for you? here is what happened to me. when i replaced the oil pan i was considering grinding off that flange guard bit so i'd get more clearance. i think with a low profile plug it work out well like @rcannon409 said

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 11.54.11 AM.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
was it the sump bolt guard bit on the pan that caused the crack for you? here is what happened to me. when i replaced the oil pan i was considering grinding off that flange guard bit so i'd get more clearance. i think with a low profile plug it work out well like @rcannon409 said

View attachment 5124
Wow your damage was major, On my bike the hit was lite and it would only leak drops when engine was hot, I to am leaning toward a low profile plug and removal of the guard and maybe adding another alum. plate on the bottom which would recess the plug more and add some thickness to what seems to be a weak area, I would rather drag the pipe than hit the bolt and I still think the guard makes the problem worse by concentrating the force in a small area.
Thanx @rcannon409 for the link my dealer also carries Kawasaki so I can see if the which plug for the available models fits its a great start to a solution for me.
Julian you really destroyed that pan at least I have one to experiment with hope yours is fixed and your dealer gave you a break on it.
Rick

1 - 20 of 49 Posts