Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for explaining what the flash does.

Yamaha are basically saying that once the bike reaches a certain speed in top gear, the power will be cut. The flash removes that cut - and it does a lot of clever air/fuel mixture calculations to make sure the engine runs well enough to max out in top.

·
Vendor
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for explaining what the flash does.

Yamaha are basically saying that once the bike reaches a certain speed in top gear, the power will be cut. The flash removes that cut - and it does a lot of clever air/fuel mixture calculations to make sure the engine runs well enough to max out in top.

this is just dyno runs to compare pre and post flash. Dyno runs only measure full throttle. There is much more to the flash then just full throttle gains.

the flash also does not do any calculations, the settings are fixed. The bike uses a temp and pressure sensor to adjust the fueling for varying conditions

·
Banned
225 Posts
Almost no power gains over stock from 2k to 7k???? You should probably take another look at your tune. There are substantial gains to be had there even at WOT. That's unfortunate because that's the rpm range where the average rider is at 90% of the time. The low and midrange is where the CP3 can be really brought to life with a proper tune.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What gear is industry standard for motorcycle dyno pulls? I’m assuming manufacturers have use a standard for publishing numbers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Almost no power gains over stock from 2k to 7k????
That is what I would expect from a normally aspirated engine running stock cams, stock exhaust and stock inlets.

The torque curve is amazingly flat without a huge gain post-flash. The nice thing is that it is allowed to rev out in top. I would love a re-flash to sort out the fan cut-in temp but I no longer have to sit in traffic on my commute.

·
Vendor
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What gear is industry standard for motorcycle dyno pulls? I’m assuming manufacturers have use a standard for publishing numbers.
manufacturers measure at the crank that is why their numbers always seem inflated

Is this for a stock bike or does it have other mods, exhaust, intake?
it had an akrapovic ti system, an aftermarket filter with the air box mod, it was a tracer so the foam was removed from the undertank area, similar to cutting the front tank trim piece on an fz/mt

·
Vendor
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is what I would expect from a normally aspirated engine running stock cams, stock exhaust and stock inlets.

The torque curve is amazingly flat without a huge gain post-flash. The nice thing is that it is allowed to rev out in top. I would love a re-flash to sort out the fan cut-in temp but I no longer have to sit in traffic on my commute.
to me the flash is about throttle response

unfortunately I can not quantify throttle response , throttle response is really the biggest improvement with the flash.

it ends up being smoother and more responsive at the same time. This is accomplished because I data log on the street. A dyno is good for coarse tuning small throttle openings. With data logging I can fine tune them.

the lack of neutral throttle with the stock programming really killed the bike for me. Especially after you ride a bike that has a natural feeling throttle.

that from the flash Combined with how fly by wire it really makes for fun bike to ride with multiple personalities.

·
Vendor
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed, makes the ride so much more pleasant.
The fuel cut gets blamed for a lot of what is really just poor stock fueling , when a bike is lean it is overly sensitive to throttle inputs by fixing that it gets rid of what most people think is fuel cut. If i sent you out for a ride with the bike properly fueled with it on and then off you could tell the difference but its not that much

·
Vendor
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does an ftecu autotune help with hp gains?

The cp3 has a pretty large happy zone for air fuel, meaning the power only varies 1-2% even with pretty big fluctuations in air fuel ratio. So the active tune ( autotune is a power commander product) just keeps the bike more consistent but the gains are not big.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm always so impressed with the off-throttle torque these engines have. That TQ graph is a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
646 Posts
The fuel cut gets blamed for a lot of what is really just poor stock fueling , when a bike is lean it is overly sensitive to throttle inputs by fixing that it gets rid of what most people think is fuel cut. If i sent you out for a ride with the bike properly fueled with it on and then off you could tell the difference but its not that much
I'll take what ever works, lol the family jewels appreciate the smoother transition between go and stop! Particularly right at the initiation zone of the throttle. Was just out for my first enthusiastic rip of twisties for the season, this bike always puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
854 Posts
Got to ride a bike with your flash and must say it was as close to a carb bike as I've been on for our bikes. I keep putting off sending it in and now the weather is amazing and don't want to miss a second. I have to say I would take a loss of power for the smoothness the tune gave the bike. Just my .02 cents from my butt and throttle wrist dyno.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The cp3 has a pretty large happy zone for air fuel, meaning the power only varies 1-2% even with pretty big fluctuations in air fuel ratio. So the active tune ( autotune is a power commander product) just keeps the bike more consistent but the gains are not big.
What afr number, at max throttle, do you recommend and is it the same for the entire rev range?
I have the Autotune kit and would like to make initial adjustments before going for the full dyno tune.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any plans for having a flash for the 2021 model?

·
Vendor
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any plans for having a flash for the 2021 model?
for sure, but given the software companies are still struggling with the 2020 r1 and a few other new bikes we will have to wait and see when the 2021 is available to flash

1 - 20 of 22 Posts