Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I've been following the forum since June, and I've seen a lot of posts from those in California who are disappointed because they have no aftermarket exhaust options... I'm just an individual member looking to help fill that gap.

I will take stock exhausts, split the casing as pictured and modify the interior for power and sound. The exterior remains completely stock looking, and should not be an issue for emissions, the stamping they check for compliance remains on the bottom of the muffler. Catalytic converter is retained for the Cali guys... I can remove them for those of you in other states. This will be 100% TIG welded, with 304 stainless internal components.

Prototypes and pictures will be coming soon..... And dyno time, once I have prototypes complete and receive my fuel controller from Marty.

These are all built on a per-customer basis, so there will be several options as far as volume levels, baffle choice, etc go. They're all "custom", so if you have a request please let me hear it. You guys make a demand for something, and I'll do my best to answer it!

I'm aiming to keep price at $350, to keep this affordable for everyone.

Please post questions and suggestions in this thread. It will help me gauge what everyone wants, and I will have an idea how much material I need to order once I have a feel for the demand out there, thanks!

Last thing... I'm interested in buying a couple complete stock exhausts for use as "cores", to reduce the down time for you guys. Let me know if you have one :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Your the man stellmon thats great, really interested in the sound that will come from that plus hp and tq gains.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There will be a couple different options for you guys, and they'll each have their own unique sound...

The catalytic converter by itself actually reduces the volume some, and in my opinion it actually mutes some of the less desirable tones in the exhaust. But that's entirely subjective, obviously not everyone likes the same thing. So whether you keep or remove that is the first factor.

When it comes to baffles, there will be at least two, possibly three options. Perforated cores with a packing material are the "standard", flow the best and will also be the quietest. But I can also use a louvered core... These do not flow quite as well, although I can compensate a bit by using a slightly larger diameter. But they sound absolutely mean... I would describe them as more of a "snarl", and they'll be louder than the perforated core, especially if you opt to not use a packing material. Last baffle option... No guarantees yet, but I might be able to work in a chambered design. They'll give you a very unique tone, but not sure how feasible that is yet.

As for packing material, I'm opting for stainless steel wool. It'll hold up better to the heat than fiberglass will, with the exhaust so short and the cat right there. I'm also looking into procuring stainless steel "scrubble", if I can find some that isn't cost prohibitive.

I'm not going to make any claims for HP or torque gains yet... We'll have to wait to see. But it will sound faster :p Midrange gains will probably be a lot better than peak gains.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That would be great for mid range gains. Im a commuter also generally around 5k rpm, so a mid increase is sweet. I think im most interested without the cat.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Without the cat and a louvered core sounds nice ;)
Can't wait to hear some sound bites :D

Reactions: Don.B

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great to see that there's some interest in this :)

I'm hoping that I can get lots of input on what people really want, so I can try to make a product to match that.

The first sound bite you see will probably be a louvered core, retaining the cat..... My bike :p This is probably the worst possible combination for power (still better than stock though), but I think it will sound pretty mean. But if I get a lot of requests for something on here, I'll try to follow through to show everyone what it sounds like. This is the prototype stage, so make your voice heard :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Awesome! I haven't been too hot on the aftermarket options thus far aesthetically so this might be a good way to go. Also retaining the stock look will make it harder to get ticketed xD

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stellman this sounds like a godsend!
I'm definitely interested. I'd like to hear your exhuast tone before I commit. I was also wondering what the plan was as far implimenting a fuel controller. It will be necessary to use one after modifying the silencer right?
I'm also just wondering if shipping back is included in the price. I'm thinking I'd want your same setup. The louvered core for a unique exhaust tone sounds quite fitting for my bike and maintenance / worry-free as far as packing material.

THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
He's planning to use the same fuel controller that I just finish mapping. EJK fuel controller are a well establish company that has been around for a while. The controller is in the last R&D step. We are adding a O2 sensor jam. So you can adjust the O2 sensor to run the same at 14.7 FR for good MPG or richer for more throttle response and fix the throttle twitch. This is going to be a well sort out package when all done... within a week or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stellman this sounds like a godsend!
I'm definitely interested. I'd like to hear your exhuast tone before I commit. I was also wondering what the plan was as far implimenting a fuel controller. It will be necessary to use one after modifying the silencer right?
I'm also just wondering if shipping back is included in the price. I'm thinking I'd want your same setup. The louvered core for a unique exhaust tone sounds quite fitting for my bike and maintenance / worry-free as far as packing material.

THANK YOU!!!
From what I understand, the FZ-09 can benefit from a fuel controller and good tune even in stock form, in STD and A modes especially. But a controller is pretty much mandatory once you modify the engines "volumetric efficiency", which the exhaust certainly does. You could probably get away with it for a while... But it's tuned a bit lean from the factory already, and the exhaust will lean it out even more.

The cost of sending your exhaust back to you is included in the price, but you'll pay to ship it to me in the first place... Makes sense? I think that's the most fair way to balance the price out, because shipping costs will vary quite a bit from state to state. Shipping from Cali shouldn't be too bad.

I'll try to give updates as soon as I can on the baffle situation, once I really tear into this thing... I'm about 99% certain I can modify the muffler to use a 2" perforated core from the collector all the way to the exit, which is going to flow awesome compared to the stock baffling that necks down to a 1.5" exit (I'm excited for this one!). But I'm going to see if I can get some transitions made to fit a 2.5" louver core instead of 2", so we don't sacrifice too much power from that. I would feel bad putting that much effort into it, and then leaving you guys stuck with a crappy flowing 2" louver core :eek:

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about maintenance with the packing material. SS doesn't tend to break down & compact like fiberglass does. The only scenario that really ruins the stainless wool is if it gets saturated in oil... Or if the exhaust temps get REALLY hot. And the 3 cylinder is going to have a nice unique exhaust note no matter what. :cool:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This is a good idea, but the FZ-09 'Scrotum' could still benefit from some exterior mods.. A nice matte black heat resistant paint job could make this deal sweeter.

·
Vendor
2,321 Posts
This sounds amazing.
I really like the look of the stock exhaust, but I'm all about non-stock exhaust notes (and performance gains).
Once I pick up my Niner, I'd love to hear a catless, louvered option.
And I agree on coating that bad boy black.
P.S. If this "blows up" for you... you should definitely retain the name "Covert Exhaust".

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
This is a good idea, but the FZ-09 'Scrotum' could still benefit from some exterior mods.. A nice matte black heat resistant paint job could make this deal sweeter.
You can get Ceramic coating paint at Advance Auto Part for $10.00 It will hold on for a while as long as the can is prep properly. I bead blast my 6R headers and painted it... still ok.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How long till you tear into it, cant wait for some sound.
Marthy is a good guy, he's sending a stock muffler to me along with the fuel controller. I'm going to dismantle this one first when I get it, and once I have a clear idea of how it's constructed internally, I'll make the prototype out of my exhaust. Hoping to have one finished around the end of this month.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm planning to powdercoat the bolted on "trim" piece on mine, and I could probably incorporate that as an option for you guys. You're probably going to be on your own if you want to paint the entire muffler though.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project, Stellmon. Definitely looking forward to seeing how you fare. The 'Drummer' was a very popular upgrade for the Buells and was essentially the same type of affair...a stock muffer gut/rework. Good luck!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love the creative mind that you have stellmon! Sounds like a great project, look forward to seeing and hearing how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts