Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just picked my bike up yesterday and have a couple newb questions:

1. What is the point of the peg feelers?
2. The dealer said the bike doesn't charge the battery-that I have to use a battery tender. Is this really true? If I'm not going to ride for a while I'll certainly use a tender, but do I always have to use it?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Peg feelers are to let you know when you are getting wayyy over on the lean angle.

Battery for me had to be charged at the dealer and they did that in about an hour. Shouldn't need a tender unless it's not going to be ridden for extended periods of time.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Can't answer your questions, however, for what it's worth, if I'm not on my FZ, it's on a "Genius Battery Tender."

Very inexpensive too.

Better safe than sorry:cool:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
1. As a newb, you dont have to worry about it. At extreme lean angles, the feelers will touch the road, and the pegs will fold up, before other hard pars of the bike will drag which would cause a crash for sure...most folks who can actually lean it that far take them off anyway. You should really only be leaning it that much on the track

2. You only need a battery tender if not riding the bike for quite a long time...like over 1 month...in which case you may also want to put fuel stabilizer in the tank. Only the guys living in the extreme north usually go that long in the winter without riding the bike at least a little bit. This winter in PA, the longest I went w/o starting and taking a short ride was like 3 weeks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Welcome!

1. Peg feelers are there to serve as an early warning that you've reached a lean angle that is putting you in danger of dragging hard parts of the bike.

2. The bike charges the battery when being ridden (more specifically, when in motion as most bikes need to be at 4,000 rpm or higher to begin charging... so you can't start your bike and let it idle thinking it's going to be charging the battery... it's actually draining it). If the bike is going to sit for extended periods (ie several weeks at a time), then yes, a battery tender would be worth the investment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts