Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Maybe that is the reason for the holdup on the dealers not being able to place their orders yet for the FZ09

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a feeling I won't be seeing mine until the end of October. That's ok. More time to save $. Maybe Yamaha will take some time to sort out the throttle jerkiness reviewers have complained about. I would be fine with waiting a little longer for that.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I am wondering if the jerkiness is the result of meeting the EU emissions standards. Unfortunately, the US standards are probably more stringent, which would lead to an even leaner condition.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I'll see if I can find it, but I saw mention of a "recall" of the TPS to solve the notchiness. Don't remember where I saw it though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Guys that's what B-mode is for! Yamahas engines are known for their instantaneous throttle response, I know cuz I have a triple yamaha and it's a monster when it comes to throttle response! I think that is exactly why the made the three modes, cuz they knew that some British test rider might not be able to to handle it!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I really don't expect it to be a real issue for me. I owned an Aprilia DorsoDuro 750 Motard and it had three maps to select from. I put it in "sport" mode and left it there. Instant response and awesome drive out of the corners. Now, if it is a fueling problem where the bike stumbles on the application of throttle, that is a different animal and most likely only corrected with a fuel management system or a re-flash of the ECU. In the really tight stuff (on the street), putting the transmission in a higher gear will "dull" the abruptness of an instant throttle also. If this bike has as much low end as they are saying it will, combined with the light weight of the bike, being in 2nd gear for a a drive out of a corner vs. being in 1st. gear, will probably not affect your ride at all........since hopefully, you're not riding at your limits on the street.

W

·
0 Posts
That is an excellent link; the comments from readers really tell the story. Many are concerned about the vague front end and snatchy throttle and some have already decided to take a pass on the Nine and have purchased FZ8's. One guy said those two issues were a "deal breaker" and it was not me!:angel2:

Believe me I wanted this bike bad when I first read about it but now I am happy I bought the Eight. Maybe in 2015 if they fix things...

W

·
0 Posts
That would not surprise me. C'mon guys, let's howl about this get Yammie to remap this thing before it comes out!:encouragement:

W

·
0 Posts
I really don't expect it to be a real issue for me. I owned an Aprilia DorsoDuro 750 Motard and it had three maps to select from. I put it in "sport" mode and left it there. Instant response and awesome drive out of the corners. Now, if it is a fueling problem where the bike stumbles on the application of throttle, that is a different animal and most likely only corrected with a fuel management system or a re-flash of the ECU. In the really tight stuff (on the street), putting the transmission in a higher gear will "dull" the abruptness of an instant throttle also. If this bike has as much low end as they are saying it will, combined with the light weight of the bike, being in 2nd gear for a a drive out of a corner vs. being in 1st. gear, will probably not affect your ride at all........since hopefully, you're not riding at your limits on the street.
Well said. But if Yamaha can revise it and correct the snatchiness before release (you know the press downplays everything so it's much worse than they are really letting on) then we all come out ahead.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just doubt it's a fueling issue. Could it be the nonsliper clutch?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Well said. But if Yamaha can revise it and correct the snatchiness before release (you know the press downplays everything so it's much worse than they are really letting on) then we all come out ahead.
I agree with you 100% and hopefully Yamaha fixes the situation before the bikes are released, or is at least working on a fix that can be done by returning the bike to the dealership for a ECU update/tweak. I can almost assure you though, this type of issue will not keep me from buying the bike. There is almost NO motorcycle made that has a great suspension from the factory unless of course you buy one that is a premium bike with high dollar suspension components already on it......Ohlins, Brembo, etc. Part of the price point of this bike calls for less than premium suspension components and I can live with that. Fork springs (lighter or heavier) is no big deal to change out if you can't get the preload/sag adjusted for your weight with gear on. They simply cannot build a mass produced bike with a universal spring that is a "one size fits all". Like I said, the issues that the magazine testers are "complaining" about are to me, somewhat minor issues and for most folks, will not be an issue at all. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That is an excellent link; the comments from readers really tell the story. Many are concerned about the vague front end and snatchy throttle and some have already decided to take a pass on the Nine and have purchased FZ8's. One guy said those two issues were a "deal breaker" and it was not me!:angel2:
because they didn't really want the 09, they just wanted a new bike.

then there are those of us who don't just want a new bike, we want the 09. and we don't mind tinkering a bit to fix whatever issues it has.

none of the people who've actually ridden the bike so far have called the front end and throttle response 'deal breakers'.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ya, the vague front end feel can probably be easily fixed. But the snatchy throttle, who knows? I for one don't want to buy a brand new bike knowing I may have to live with that, although I still might. As I've said elsewhere, when you have multiple bikes, as many of us do, that makes it much more difficult to get used to switching bikes from day to day.

One of my favorite streetbikes, my sons KTM SuperDuke has this same problem. Even with a different throttle tube that helps tame the off/on response, it makes a stellar bike less than enjoyable to ride at times. My son was talking about possibly getting an FZ-09 as well, but after reading about that problem, he said he'd never own another bike with an issue like that.

Lets hope that Yamaha is listening, and corrects this prior to release. This could potentially keep many from purchasing an otherwise very good, if not stellar motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya, the vague front end feel can probably be easily fixed. But the snatchy throttle, who knows?
i've owned carbed and fuel injected bikes with snatchy throttles and all were curable with jetting/mapping changes.

even if yamaha doesn't fix these issues, early adopters will find a solution.

as the mcn review put it, the front end vagueness and snatchy throttle are 'not the end of the world'.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i've owned carbed and fuel injected bikes with snatchy throttles and all were curable with jetting/mapping changes.

even if yamaha doesn't fix these issues, early adopters will find a solution.

as the mcn review put it, the front end vagueness and snatchy throttle are 'not the end of the world'.
Not the end of the world, but as I said about the SuperDuke, can turn a stellar bike into one that's not enjoyable to ride, at times. One of my Street Trip R's was snatchy, until I got it home and adjusted the loose chain, then was very good, although the 2011 was smoother than the '09. I don't think it will be that easy to fix the FZ.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts