Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts

The gram showed me this savage. I REALLY hope he has plans to wash that salt off...IMMEDIATELY

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
666 Posts
There were bikes everywhere in western NC the week after Christmas. I was cold just watching them.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Today is the first time in a week that it wasn't freezing fog for at least part of the day. Shyte's gettin' old already!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
73 Days
Cold and clear. No riding.

I'm probably going to install turn signal canceling module and maybe pull off exhaust tomorrow. I'm thinking of having it ceramic coated in black. I also might pull linkage apart and have that powder coated. Same place does both processes and it's not overly expensive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think all these quarantine requirements and lockdowns make this winter extra shitty. Normally I go go-carting about once or twice a winter but not this year

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I think all these quarantine requirements and lockdowns make this winter extra shitty. Normally I go go-carting about once or twice a winter but not this year
They have but honestly, in spite of how bad it is and how many people are suffering and trying to survive, I've had a pretty good year. I went back to working at home which saved me a 70 mile round trip every day. My GF got a new job and we now have 20K in additional income. I finished major home renovations. Best of all, the roads were empty for most of the year and I rode my ass off. Put 12,000 miles on a brand new MT 10. I hope we put Covid 19 behind us and people start to get back to healthy and prosperous lives.

·
Registered
227 Posts
They have but honestly, in spite of how bad it is and how many people are suffering and trying to survive, I've had a pretty good year. I went back to working at home which saved me a 70 mile round trip every day. My GF got a new job and we now have 20K in additional income. I finished major home renovations. Best of all, the roads were empty for most of the year and I rode my ass off. Put 12,000 miles on a brand new MT 10. I hope we put Covid 19 behind us and people start to get back to healthy and prosperous lives.
I will say, early lockdown was a dream. It was like the purge but instead... “All speed limits are now lifted, any speed is authorized on any road” savagery was had. I too hit my new annual mileage record of 8000.

current real feel is higher than projected...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Had to do a beer run last night in the snow. Wasn’t bad out. Just big flakes that weren’t sticking. Really love my pin lock visor. FZ did well. :)

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
666 Posts
73 Days
Cold and clear. No riding.

I'm probably going to install turn signal canceling module and maybe pull off exhaust tomorrow. I'm thinking of having it ceramic coated in black. I also might pull linkage apart and have that powder coated. Same place does both processes and it's not overly expensive.
Use cerakote if they offer. Requires a thinner coat which works great on our slip together exhaust pieces. Doesn't fade or crack over time also. Super high wear resistance for parts like rear sets and such.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
72 Days
It got to about 40 this afternoon so I cleared some space in the garage and installed Safer Turn self cancelling turn signal module. There was an excellent video by some British guy showing how to install. Except for that he calls parts "bits", it was excellent. It was a fairly easy install and I got it done at around 6 with typical drama that I always create*. It tested correctly in the garage so I grabbed my helmet and winter jacket and went for a ride. Works like a charm. Temps were down in the 20s and so I only rode for 5 minutes. Last summer, I almost got myself run over by forgetting to cancel turn signal so I like this mod. Plus it keeps me from looking like a moron riding with my turn signal on for 5 miles.

* Am I the only person that always over estimates how much work I can get done in a given period? I thought I could do the Safer Turn thing and pull off the exhaust for ceramic coating. This falls under the road to hell is paved with good intentions. First thing, I tried to head down to the basement but no, a piece of wood I have sitting on the landing falls over and wedges the door closed. So now I go to the bulkhead door and get to the bottom of the stairs hoping that that door will be unlocked. Of course it's locked. So....I pick up a crow bar and smash out the window, get in the basement, clean up the glass and screw a hunk of wood over the window. My GF is traumatized by me acting like a total ɐssɥolǝ by now. During the week, I had happened to see another video about this installation and the guys says, make sure you have the correct crimping tool to install the wire connectors. I picked one up figuring that you can never waste money on tools. I have to connect 6 connectors and off course 1 pulled off in mid crimp and got destroyed. I decided against soldering and took my faithful Airedale, Honey, and off we go to Home Depot. Of course the local Home Depot has as much inventory as the toilet paper shelves back in March. So now Honey and I have to drive 12 miles in the opposite direction to go to Lowe's, that I know has full shelves and is not out of anything. Honey of course does not give a flying ɟnɔʞ about my dilemma, She loves riding in the truck, getting treats at both Home Depot and Lowes and having 40 people fawning all over her because she is a seriously cute dog. Lowes had the connector and we head 12 miles back home to finish the project. Just me, Honey lays down and sleeps on the brand new oriental rug in the living room. Not enough time to do the exhaust but as I said, I got the turn signal module installed. You think that at 64 years old, years in construction out in the field, years in the office as a project manager, years in the office as an estimator, I would know how to figure the time to do these things. The answer is a big fat no. It took all afternoon to do a job that should have been 90 minutes tops. Live and learn......UNLIKELY.

As a side note, This Safer Turn module is about $75. You have to do a compatibility test on their website which I did but didn't buy it at that time. A week later, I got an email from them offering it to me at $51.17 including shipping and I couldn't refuse. As I now have an MT 10, the install is slightly different than the MT 09 but in fact, it looks like the 09 is easier.

In the end, my GF forgave me for being a certified ɐssɥolǝ, Honey thinks I'm cool even when I am an ɐssɥolǝ and in spite of knowing I can be an ɐssɥolǝ, I got to motorcycle stuff in the dead of winter, which is why I started this thread. To talk about motorcycles.

Honey with her new Christmas toys shortly before she tore it to shreds.
IMG_20181225_102040.jpg

Honey trying to figure out why I want to mess around with motorcycles instead of her.
IMG_20191215_132328.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was out today with the GF. Went to CG to get her a REAX thermal underneath her new A* jacket
Also started a “Gear/Temp Ratio” note this winter to take the guessing work out of determining what to wear

·
Registered
738 Posts
For only the 2nd time since Dec 20th, the sun came out...for less than 2 hr, just as the other time. At least we haven't had any more fog! This constant cloudiness is getting real depressing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Cloudy, patchy fog, freezing drizzle until about 1:30, then hazy sun for a couple of hours. Gah!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts