Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

421 - 440 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
Today is Monday and I am having knee replacement on Thursday. I went out after work and burned through a tank of gas. I rode a pretty cool back road loop here where I live and then headed out to the highway for a while. I was on I 195 headed back towards home from Providence RI and I saw a bike hauling ass behind me. I was doing about 85 and moved over in to the center lane and this guy on a R6 pulls up next to me in the fast lane. We hit the gas and rode the 15 miles between Providence and Fall river Mass doing between 130 - 160. Fortunately traffic was fairly light for rush hour. When we got to Fall River we slowed down and we pulled up next to each and he was nodding his head and laughing his ass off. It felt good to just uncork it as I'm not looking forward to an extended period of not riding. One thing that struck me as this was going on.....I looked at the speedo and was doing about 155 and thought damn, I had the front end completely torn down 2 weekends ago to install Ohlins cartridges.......I hope I got everything right. I was pretty sure I did but sometimes you just wonder. All in all it was a really fun ride. 2 more days and more than likely it'll be close to summer the next time I get on a bike. I was hoping I could get through rehab quickly but realistically I'm probably looking at 6 - 8 weeks. My knee is so tight that I can't really get the ball of my foot on the peg and as a result sand down the front of my soles when I get leaned over enough. Hopefully I'll be able to ride in the correct position without pain and longer stretches will be easier. Right now I'm good for about 2 hours and then it's time to stop and take a few more Advil. As this surgery date gets close I'm getting more nervous. Even though it's a common surgery, the reality is that they're cutting bones out and gluing in a metal device and when I think about that, it's pretty outrageous. I'm going to try and attack the rehab and reward myself with a ride down to Virginia and do the Back of the Dragon sometime this summer. Hopefully early summer. Gonna try and get a little more riding in over the next 2 days and then read about everyone else's riding adventures for a while.

·
Registered
883 Posts
A boss I had about 20 years ago had hip replacement surgery. About 6 months later, he got a letter telling him that the glue was being recalled...don't know what happened after that. Don't worry, your surgery will go just fine, rehab will fly by and you won't remember what it was like riding with a shyte knee.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So which is the bad part? Oklahoma or not riding?
All the above. Luckily, I’m bringing my drone to keep me entertained.

best of luck on your surgery @ChesterBurnet. I’m sure your recovery will be as speedy as your MT10

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Registered
924 Posts
My eyyyeeessss... the visor... it does nothing! ... I forgot how much pollen burns your eyes riding if you don't put down your visor before like 8mph. :LOL:

The pollening is here in NC.

·
Registered
298 Posts
good luck on surgery @ChesterBurnet ! My mom got a knee replacement back in August and it seems a very smooth surgery.

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
587 Posts
My eyyyeeessss... the visor... it does nothing! ... I forgot how much pollen burns your eyes riding if you don't put down your visor before like 8mph. :LOL:

The pollening is here in NC.
Nobody warned me about this. I walked out Sunday after cleaning the car and it's yellow. Not like, oh there's pollen that sucks, but I'm pretty sure my car can be registered as yellow. And it doesn't come off. I tried to just hose it down and let the wax do its job, but it just made yellow paste. My car looks like a hotdog with extra mustard and ketchup.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 · (Edited)
I got out today for about an hour after work. It was over 60 when I stepped out earlier so I didn't wear any base layer and the temps dropped fast after 5PM. I took it easier today after making a friend on the R6 yesterday. Still it was good to get out. Another day of decent weather tomorrow so I'm going to get out for a last ride for a while.

BTW...Those R6s are fast bikes. Absolutely amazing that they can get close to 120 hp out of a 600 cc motorcycle and it's dry weight is under 400 lbs. With that little guy that was riding it, he was getting well over 150 mph easily. Of course you have to take it with a grain of salt as we all know from the Harley guys.....it's all about the torque. You notice how I've cleverly woven the spring thread and the anti Harley thread together. It's gotta be worth some extra credit. Maybe they should put a double like thingie on here.

Not being able to ride for a month or 2, I'll probably drive everyone here crazy and get myself banned. I'll plead my case and tell them it was the pain meds.

What will they do with my old knee? Is there a box of old knees and hips somewhere in the hospital basement? Do you think they'd save it and give it to me to take home. Sort of like a trophy....see what motorcycles can do to you. A gnarly old knee with a screw sticking out of it. Might be cool. Of course I'd post a picture.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
I got done with work today and went out for a ride and picked up a pair of Vortex levers I had ordered. I like them. Met my GF for dinner and came home and parked my bike in the back of the garage. My last ride for a while. Knee replacement is scheduled for 6:00 AM. I get more and more nervous the closer I get. 6 hours and 9 minutes left. OK 7 minutes until fasting.

Weird thing I've noticed with the MT bikes. They're very compact and I think a lot of people perceive them as small motor bikes. I've had a pickup truck today and yesterday try and race me and it's happened more then a few times before. A lot of guys in little subcompacts with racey sounding exhausts want to race too. In fact they seem to try the hardest. And lastly, Harleys. It must be the 55" wheelbase and 17" tires that makes them think it's a small bike and they figure they'll intimidate the smaller looking bike. There is nothing more fun then when this happens. As everyone here knows, none of those vehicle is going ever be anything more than a nuisance to an MT 09 or MT 10. In fact I'd bet a MT 07 would make quick work of them. I'd love to others experiences. It's mostly really funny.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I got done with work today and went out for a ride and picked up a pair of Vortex levers I had ordered. I like them. Met my GF for dinner and came home and parked my bike in the back of the garage. My last ride for a while. Knee replacement is scheduled for 6:00 AM. I get more and more nervous the closer I get. 6 hours and 9 minutes left. OK 7 minutes until fasting.

Weird thing I've noticed with the MT bikes. They're very compact and I think a lot of people perceive them as small motor bikes. I've had a pickup truck today and yesterday try and race me and it's happened more then a few times before. A lot of guys in little subcompacts with racey sounding exhausts want to race too. In fact they seem to try the hardest. And lastly, Harleys. It must be the 55" wheelbase and 17" tires that makes them think it's a small bike and they figure they'll intimidate the smaller looking bike. There is nothing more fun then when this happens. As everyone here knows, none of those vehicle is going ever be anything more than a nuisance to an MT 09 or MT 10. In fact I'd bet a MT 07 would make quick work of them. I'd love to others experiences. It's mostly really funny.
Hoping your knee replacement goes well.... make sure to write on the wrong knee “wrong knee”.
Also, true: I’ve had a lot of randoms at the gas station ask if my 09 was a scooter. I usually reply with “yeah she scoots.”

ninja edit: also... I got one “is that a buell?” Before.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
856 Posts
When they tell you to count backwards just think of that scooter in the back of your garage!!! Take care, kiss both your girls (mt10 and gf in no required order) in the morning and we are all wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
I'm in the preoperative and they're doing stuff to me. I'm starving. At least I'll be unconscious shortly and that'll fix the hunger.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
I'm out of surgery, new suspension is installed. Physical therapist was here and had me up and do a lap of the floor. I'm pretty amazed. I looked at the post op x-rays and it doesn't seem like it'd be possible. Doesn't feel much worse then 1 of my bad days before the surgery. I should ridden my bike this morning so I could ride it home tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
856 Posts
I'm out of surgery, new suspension is installed. Physical therapist was here and had me up and do a lap of the floor. I'm pretty amazed. I looked at the post op x-rays and it doesn't seem like it'd be possible. Doesn't feel much worse then 1 of my bad days before the surgery. I should ridden my bike this morning so I could ride it home tomorrow.
Did you make motor scooter sounds while you made your lap?

·
Registered
391 Posts
What spring rate you running?

Reactions: Screan29
421 - 440 of 464 Posts