Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

401 - 420 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Spring
I started this thread out of motorcycle withdrawal back in December. Since the MT 09 has been out since 2013, I think some of the early year enthusiasm has waned a little. For me, if I can't ride motorcycles, working on them is next best and then talking about them is pretty cool. I was hoping to stimulate some extra conversation to alleviate boredom and have stuff to talk about in a general catch all thread. I'm actually surprised that nobody told me to STFU. There's a lot of cool people that come on here and there's been interesting, stupid, inciteful, dumbass, informative, weird and friendly conversation going on. But sadly now that spring is here, it's time to move on. Countdown is officially over.

I've now gone riding for 4 days in a row. Seemed like we'd never get here. I went to my regular doctor today and as she has to sign off on my knee replacement and it's on for April 8th. Rode my bike to the doctors and then cruised around for a while, met up with an R1. I never got to hear another CP4 motor on the road. It is one gnarly sounding motor. I met a guy outside my doctors office that had a knee replacement a month ago. I now realized that I might not be able to ride until end of May or June. That was a little sobering. I have exactly 15 days of riding until then. I'll have to figure out something to keep me from going stir crazy. How many days is it until summer..............................

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just saying, the ECR is only a few hours away from the back of the dragon, I rode north out of my way to ride it and still made it to the lodge before dark. I'd be down for a week of riding if you're planning on doing it still!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Just saying, the ECR is only a few hours away from the back of the dragon, I rode north out of my way to ride it and still made it to the lodge before dark. I'd be down for a week of riding if you're planning on doing it still!
Stay tuned. This is firmly implanted in my brain. I want to do this. Not sure how many days as rehab and time off is an unknown still. My GF has encouraged me to do it also which makes it easier when you don't have to talk your way into it.
You just need to have an epic ride once in a while.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT09, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 Ford Focus ST
21 Posts
My in-laws have a huge barn/garage I use for winter storage. my bike and car both wouldn’t start since their battery charger is older than me, so no cruises for me yet.

·
Registered
923 Posts
My in-laws have a huge barn/garage I use for winter storage. my bike and car both wouldn’t start since their battery charger is older than me, so no cruises for me yet.
I bought one of those NOCO battery jump starters before the winter and was seriously impressed with how it got my Tacoma jumped from a dead-dead battery. Not sure if I'd use it to jump the bike, but if you're in the market for one I'd recommend it. Bit $$$, but when I needed it, it was there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Still fair amount of Cinders and salt on my backroad recon yesterday, but nevertheless took some savagery riding working on BP. No knee down as I am too much a female dog this time of year with the cold road temps and crappy conditions.

I attempted to get folks locally to ride with but that can be a double edge sword. Sometimes they are decent, sometimes they look like the unibomber...

Neverthless would love to see a "NE -09 rally".

This Saturday sports a mid60's temps here in South Central PA. The gf and her daughter are coming by so we are looking at hiking somewhere south near Maryland or NOVA. @Jaronv74 any recommendations?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Still fair amount of Cinders and salt on my backroad recon yesterday, but nevertheless took some savagery riding working on BP. No knee down as I am too much a female dog this time of year with the cold road temps and crappy conditions.

I attempted to get folks locally to ride with but that can be a double edge sword. Sometimes they are decent, sometimes they look like the unibomber...

Neverthless would love to see a "NE -09 rally".

This Saturday sports a mid60's temps here in South Central PA. The gf and her daughter are coming by so we are looking at hiking somewhere south near Maryland or NOVA. @Jaronv74 any recommendations?
I'm further south in VA, I haven't done much hiking in NOVA. My friends in NOVA come down towards me to visit the Shenandoah National Park for hikes :) but really, you cant go wrong with the George Washington nat'l forest & Jefferson nat'l forest for some good terrain a few hours closer to you...great riding roads around there as well :)

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
Raining today but I've mamaged to ride 6 days out of 8 since the first day of spring. I'm even starting to shed some layers as it's warming up. At times when I gone for a ride in the winter I have so many layers on I can barely bend my arm enough to put ear plugs in. I've got 10 days until my knee replacement and then I'll have to park it for a while.

I look a lot like this on the few days I ride in cold weather.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

·
Registered
923 Posts
Was real nippy on the ride in this morning. Makes me wish those Yamaha heated grips were MUCH hotter. :LOL:
I guess I got used to them real quick and want more.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
855 Posts
Nice overcast day and a solid 75 out forced me to take the bike out... tomorrow it will be cooler but I will still be riding! Wish I had more hours in a day!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
It was beautiful clear spring day today but we had gale force winds. No riding which sucked.

On a positive note I got a check for $604 from back from refinancing my truck which I hadn't expected. I also watched a Nascar race on dirt which was the first non boring Nascar race I've ever seen. In fact the only interesting pavement races to me are Moto GP type. Most anything on dirt is generally pretty cool to watch.

·
Registered
585 Posts
73 here in Denver yesterday and the girlfriend and I ate dinner on the patio. Woke up this morning to snow and 25 degrees.
My dear, departed father used to say, 'March is the cruelest month.'

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
It was on the cold side today. I spent the entire day working on converting my back yard to a garden. I finally jumped on the bike at 7:00 pm and it was 46° by that time. I'm planning on getting out tomorrow for a few hours. My last weekend for riding for a while as my knee replacement is this coming Thursday.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 ·
Today was a perfect spring day. Hovered around 60° Knee replacement is 4 days away so I'm trying to do a million things before going in to the hospital and being laid up. I worked on fence for the back yard garden and am beat to hell. Being 64 years old, working behind a desk all week with a knee that doesn't want to bend and doing heavy physical labor is not a good combination. To make it even worse, I can't take any pain relief pills. I finally got out riding at about 5 and let it rip. Caught up with another bike on I95 through Providence and we were hitting about 140 mph. My FJ 09 and XSR 900 were pretty unstable at 130 but the MT 10 feels like you could do it all day if there wasn't any traffic. Was a good way to finish up before parking bike for 6 - 8 weeks. Maybe the physical therapy will go well and I'll be able to shorten the time off the bike. I ride a lot so this is going to be tough. Even during the winter we'd get a day once in a while that I could ride.
I might catch a couple of nights after work this week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Beautiful weekend here in Colorado. 79 yesterday. My girlfriend's family is in town for her birthday and we got to sneak away for a ride on Sunday. It was her first real ride in the canyons and she loved it. Did some fast long sweepers on a road called Central City Parkway, also known as Central City Speedway, that has hardly any traffic, 4 lanes, and you can really get moving on it. The last mile or so is my favorite and we were using both lanes and she was squealing in her helmet the whole time. 🤣 Senas are great and bad at the same time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Found out I’m going to Oklahoma for 6 weeks for work. So unfortunately this will be her temporary home:

Excuse me while I go cry now....is it May 19th yet?

401 - 420 of 464 Posts