Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

381 - 400 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Last weekend's basic class got bumped to this weekend because of the 2 feet of snow we got, so I'm instructing my first solo class tomorrow and it's supposed to be about 60 degrees, so I'm going to ride to the range. Sunday someone else is picking up day 2 of the class and I'll be putting this on. Unfortunately it's supposed to snow again Sunday evening through Tuesday. So maybe next weekend I can get out and do a test ride. It's driving me nuts because it's just sitting in my living room for a week, staring at me....

·
Registered
883 Posts
I said to the ER doc: go big or go home, right? His reply: still have the finger, didn't go too big.

I probably could ride a little this weekend but if something happened I would have some 'splainin to do with workman's comp. Damn.

At least it didn't happen just before my TX trip.

There will be many more weekends to ride.

·
Registered
923 Posts
This: View attachment 163678

When the flatbed driver got the car out from under me, we were pulling my mudflap away from my tires. While I was reaching under my trailer, I hooked my hand on a piece that broke off my ICC bumper.

The other guy was shook up but otherwise OK.
Woof! Glad you’re alright.

remember. Chicks dig scars.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
No riding for me this weekend even though the weather is going to be nice. This happened Mon afternoon at work:

View attachment 163676

Four stitches and off work until at least Thur., doctor won't authorize driving a CMV until the stitches come out at the very least.
That sucks! I'm sorry to tell you this but the stitches don't actually make you hands look any worse. Just take the stitches out. I actually took stitches out of my mouth after oral surgery. How hard can a hand be?

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
ZERO DAYS 12:01 Spring has arrived.
I just got in from my garage. After stripping out a fork cap rebound screw on my new Ohlins cartridges, Fast Bike built me a new one yesterday, overnighted it. $300 ****up, but they arrived today and the cartridges are installed, forks, front wheel and brakes are back on. I cleaned the front fender and it took almost as long as doing the cartridge on the 1 fork leg. I spent all of my free time last fall finishing big home remodeling and didn't have time to clean my bike even though I got some riding in. Taking it apart allowed me to see how absolutely filthy it is. Spring cleaning is an understatement. I ain't complaining though. I have to go out in the morning, torque everything up, reinstall the ABS and front fender, set the sag and go riding tomorrow afternoon and Sunday. The forecast for the next 10 days is warm, relative to southern Massachusetts. Amazingly the temperatures have completely changed with the arrival of spring. Warm enough to ride and still bug free.

As most here have read, I had bought Andreani cartridges and they screwed them up so many ways that I got a refund and went with Ohlins. In the process of trying to make sure I wasn't mistaken about the Andreanis being correct and talking out my ass when I called the distributor, I completely disassembled 1 fork leg which meant that I then had to replace the seal. Having never done seals on a modern set of forks I found a how to on Youtube. It's dead nuts accurate and has a nice trick for sliding the seals on without messing them up. I figured I'd post it in the event anyone needed to do seals. BTW....there are a lot of good British how to videos but someone should tell them to stop calling parts - bits.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 · (Edited)
0 Days Spring is here! Supplemental
I got up this morning, went out to the garage and opened the overhead door and worked in the bright sunlight for the first time. I installed ABS, fender and torqued everything up. Got my GF out to help me set the sag on new Ohlins fork cartridges. As my ruler is in inches, it takes more time to do the math to convert to MM then to actually set the sag. Set the rebound and compression to suggested base settings and figured I test it out. It always in the back of my mind that I have had this thing in pieces and now I'm going to get on it and ride it hard and fast over every possible bad road I can find is a little disconcerting. Screw it, I haven't had one come apart yet. So the initial ride, I took it to this farm road that about a mile long and frost heaves from end to end and is my go to set up spot. The stock forks on an MT 10 are a lot better then the MT 09 but still not great. I want great. Last year I did a K-Tech rear shock but could afford cartridges so I did springs for my weight and screwed around with fork oil and level per advice from K-tech. It was pretty good but still not great. MT 09 is an easy bike to set up and can be plush and handle great. MT 10 is a lot more difficult to set up. It took me a good 6 months to get really dialed in as much as I could without cartridges. Right out of the box with base set up Ohlins were as good as previous set up. It was handling but on the harsh side. I came home backed off the preload and both compression and rebound. I actually only wanted to do the compression but forgot that compression is on the left leg and rebound on the right. All my previous bikes were rebound and compression in both legs. I went back out and was immediately rewarded by 2 Harleys about a 1/4 mile ahead of me. I passed the car between us and closed behind the 2 Harleys. I passed the first but the second decided he didn't want to be passed and gassed it. There is nothing funnier than a Harley trying to out run an MT 10. It's the equivalent of trying to fight an AK47 with a water pistol. Anyway....back to the set up. I retraced my earlier ride with the adjusted set up and it now handled with most of the harshness gone. That's the good thing about good suspension components, You can make incremental changes and feel the improvement or feel it going in the wrong direction. On stock stuff 3 -4 clicks doesn't really change much. I'll have to put some more time to figure out what to do to really get it dialed in. My suspension guy told me to just work 1 thing at a time in small increments until you feel it get better. I'm far from a pro rider but this has worked for me. What I'm looking for is a bike that glides over rough and bad pavement but is rigid enough to handle in the turns. I was pretty close before but now it's there and needs just a few tweaks. The MT 10 is built on a R1 platform and really carves up the twisties but if it's bouncing around and transmitting the shock of bad pavement to your arms and body, it's hard to hold a line. Now I've really got it fixed. That being said, it's a very rigid chassis and will never be quite as comfortable as the MT 09, Tracer or XSR900. Different bikes, different strengths but all way cool. What I meant to be a couple of quick test rides ended up burning through a tank of gas. Big fun getting out to ride on new and improved bike. Tomorrow I'm getting up and going to change the oil, wash last years filth off and do some serious riding tomorrow. Supposed to be around 60°. Survived winter which at times felt impossible. I'm going to ride my ass off until April 8th when I get my knee replaced and then work as hard as I can to get back on my bike.

Before Ohlins cartridges and after
Before.jpg

After.jpg

LOL

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks for the update. Doing just valves on my '09 was night and day so I'd imagine full cartridges would be that much better.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 · (Edited)
Zero Day Plus 1 - supplemental
I went riding 3 times today. I've been feeling kind of bad that my bike doesn't look new any more. I changed the oil and filter and then washed it. Turns out if was so filthy that after it was cleaned up it still looks new. I took it for a quick ride to get the water blown off of it and when I got back I made a few changes to the fork set up. I had adjusted the compression and rebound yesterday from my base set up and then realized that I only wanted to do the compression, so I reset the rebound. Backed the preload off another 2 turns, took 4 more clicks off the compression and bam, the set up is pretty much done. These Ohlins and K-Tech stuff work so well. I struggled like hell to get the stock forks to be a little better than mediocre. The cartridges really work great with the rear shock. I went out for my 2nd ride and really started berserking it. It was like getting a new bike. I went to the mall to get my GF a birthday present and discovered I forgot to take cash, wallet or cell phone. Went back home and got my stuff and went out for my 3rd and longest ride. I went out and purposely rode as hard as I could and aimed for every pothole and piece of bad pavement I could find. It's just eating that stuff up now. I'm finally experiencing all the potential this bike has to offer.
In learning about suspension and setting up a bike, I understand compression damping and how it affects ride and handling and how to work with it. I still don't fully understand how rebound damping does though. I set it at the base settings as recommended by Ohlins and it seems good but I still have more to learn.

I had an absolute blast today but there was 1 scary thing that happened. I was on a local hiway that goes from 75 - 80 mph down to about 30 and ends with a stop light. I was sitting at the stop light behind a car and there was a truck and a car in the lane next to me. Suddenly in my periferal vison I see a car coming and plow in the the rear end the car next to me and push it into the truck. This happened like 4 feet from me. It was unnerving because all I could think of was if it happened in my lane. I'm actually very cognizant of getting rear ended and try to position myself in the safest spot I can at stop lights. It's one of the reasons that I have a Blaster X tail light that flashes and is probably the brightest tail light on the market. It's also an integrated tail light which I use in combination with led rear turn signals. I typically will let off the brake and squeeze it to flash it again when cars are approaching behind me hoping that if like today someone isn't paying close attention or, as I suspect, looking at their cell phone maybe it'll grab their attention. I'm not afraid going through turns at 100 mph but I am paranoid of inattentive drivers. Getting hit by a car hurts beyond what you can imagine. I'm getting a new knee as a result of getting hit by an inattentive driver. Just saying.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It’s been an honor tender...#playstaps

Reactions: betoney and Niner

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Zero plus 2 days
Beautiful weather again . Took my bike this morning for my pre-surgical consultation for my knee replacement. I asked how long after knee replacement until I can ride again. They were noncommittal.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Zero Day Plus 1 - supplemental
I went riding 3 times today. I've been feeling kind of bad that my bike doesn't look new any more. I changed the oil and filter and then washed it. Turns out if was so filthy that after it was cleaned up it still looks new. I took it for a quick ride to get the water blown off of it and when I got back I made a few changes to the fork set up. I had adjusted the compression and rebound yesterday from my base set up and then realized that I only wanted to do the compression, so I reset the rebound. Backed the preload off another 2 turns, took 4 more clicks off the compression and bam, the set up is pretty much done. These Ohlins and K-Tech stuff work so well. I struggled like hell to get the stock forks to be a little better than mediocre. The cartridges really work great with the rear shock. I went out for my 2nd ride and really started berserking it. It was like getting a new bike. I went to the mall to get my GF a birthday present and discovered I forgot to take cash, wallet or cell phone. Went back home and got my stuff and went out for my 3rd and longest ride. I went out and purposely rode as hard as I could and aimed for every pothole and piece of bad pavement I could find. It's just eating that stuff up now. I'm finally experiencing all the potential this bike has to offer.
In learning about suspension and setting up a bike, I understand compression damping and how it affects ride and handling and how to work with it. I still don't fully understand how rebound damping does though. I set it at the base settings as recommended by Ohlins and it seems good but I still have more to learn.

I had an absolute blast today but there was 1 scary thing that happened. I was on a local hiway that goes from 75 - 80 mph down to about 30 and ends with a stop light. I was sitting at the stop light behind a car and there was a truck and a car in the lane next to me. Suddenly in my periferal vison I see a car coming and plow in the the rear end the car next to me and push it into the truck. This happened like 4 feet from me. It was unnerving because all I could think of was if it happened in my lane. I'm actually very cognizant of getting rear ended and try to position myself in the safest spot I can at stop lights. It's one of the reasons that I have a Blaster X tail light that flashes and is probably the brightest tail light on the market. It's also an integrated tail light which I use in combination with led rear turn signals. I typically will let off the brake and squeeze it to flash it again when cars are approaching behind me hoping that if like today someone isn't paying close attention or, as I suspect, looking at their cell phone maybe it'll grab their attention. I'm not afraid going through turns at 100 mph but I am paranoid of inattentive drivers. Getting hit by a car hurts beyond what you can imagine. I'm getting a new knee as a result of getting hit by an inattentive driver. Just saying.
Maybe check out one of these. I think your tail/brake light should have the same harness.
I personally run one and have it set to continuous strobe when the brakes are applied. Incredibly annoying to look at. :D

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Maybe check out one of these. I think your tail/brake light should have the same harness.
I personally run one and have it set to continuous strobe when the brakes are applied. Incredibly annoying to look at. :D

I have TST stuff on my bike. They are an excellent company. Custom LED, which makes the Blaster X claims that their's is the brightest so I went with them. You're going to be safer no matter which one you decide on.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
Zero days + 2 Supplemental
I've been so engrossed with installing the front cartridges that I kind of forgot about the other mods I did over the winter. I've now gotten in 3 consecutive days of riding in and I getting used to the Safer Turn blinker canceling module and the Seat Concepts kit. Both are really excellent products. The self canceling module works perfectly and is such an inexpensive no brainer option that it makes you wonder why manufacturers don't do this. Installation is a little tricky but most decent back yard mechanics should not struggle with it. The New Seat cover comes with new padding. The only thing they re-use is the plastic seat base. This is a lot more comfortable than the stock seat and looks great. It's not overly difficult to install either.

It looks like I'm full go for the knee replacement. I'm not faint hearted but not thrilled thinking about the fact that they are actually going cut off my knee and stick a metal fitting in there. My bike has new suspension and now I will too. They keep telling me to watch videos of the actual operation. I don't want to. They send you home the day after. You think I've got too much to say now......wait til I'm on pain meds with nothing to do. Not riding drives me crazy and I think it'll keep me highly motivated to attack the physical therapy so I can get back on my motorcycle.

Weather is always fickle in New England. It can change fast and dramatically. It looks like we're finally trending away from cold weather. 62° predicted for tomorrow and 63° on Thursday.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Zero Days + 3
It is the 1st legitimately gorgeous riding day and guess what. I've been on cruise control for the last year because I had an incompetent boss that barely assigned any work. We got a new boss 2 weeks ago that is competent and has just assigned us a big pile of work. I can't sneak out for a ride on a perfect day for one. I have a doctors appointment at 4:15 for my knee replacement and at least I can hope on the bike and ride over there. Life is so unfair.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You ever have one of those "energy out of nowhere" mornings? I was in rare form this morning on my commute.
Maybe it's the turn of the weather, but I was feeling great. Hope you all have a great day.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
I think it's the turn of the weather. Starting to not have to wear as much warm weather gear. I think you feel more connected to the bike and the road. My thermometer outside is at 70.

381 - 400 of 464 Posts