Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to park my bike 3 weeks ago for knee replacement surgery. All went pretty well until last week when I had set back from some kind of infection. Fortunately it was not in the bone but probably related to an allergic reaction to adhesives in bandages. Still I was pretty sick by the end of last week. I saw a doctor on Saturday and got some meds and I am feeling way better. In fact my physical therapist was really concerned that the swelling was not going down but as a result of the new meds, I'm close to normal. My leg and foot doesn't look like elephant man any longer and I'm also becoming less pain free and am starting to move around pretty good. I took a long walk through Walmart yesterday to pick up dog treats and a few other things and felt great after. As I am assessing the situation, I am going to get out to the garage and see how it feels to get a leg over the motorcycle and a foot on the peg. I was near suicidal last weekend when we had beautiful weather and saw every bike in Massachusetts out on the road and I was coming home from the doctor's office. I'm probably going to try and ride sooner than I should but it's pretty unlikely that I can be disuaded. I'm pounding out the physical therapy now to get riding. Nice weather predicted for this weekend. One never knows............

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I don't know how I'd handle not being able to ride everyday. I feel your pain.

Yep:

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think for the actually time given to this process it's going to feel relatively short in the long run. Just to be able to ride without constant knee pain and be able to position my right foot correctly on the peg is huge. I'm not really bitching as much as missing riding which is really a passion for me. I put on 6000 + miles every year until last year when I put on 12,000.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think for the actually time given to this process it's going to feel relatively short in the long run. Just to be able to ride without constant knee pain and be able to position my right foot correctly on the peg is huge. I'm not really bitching as much as missing riding which is really a passion for me. I put on 6000 + miles every year until last year when I put on 12,000.
In 2001 I shattered my right ankle on my jet ski. The plate and screws are the left over hardware from that surgery in 01 with another plate already removed. Also notice the most recent reconstruction of that ankle, the ankle replacement.... the recovery was wicked, first 30 days bedridden, next 30-45 days still in the house but using a walker or crutches and the very beginning of slight weight bearing at 2 1/2 months post surgery!!!!!!
75 days post surgery.......

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's brutal. I'm guessing you're never going to be near 100%. I'm fortunate in that I think I'll be in good shape fairly soon. Best wishes in your continuing recovery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Having recovered from several major injuries myself, I will say you should be OK. Especially on a street bike. Do your exercises and get the strength back into the knee and you will be golden.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Having recovered from several major injuries myself, I will say you should be OK. Especially on a street bike. Do your exercises and get the strength back into the knee and you will be golden.
My ankle replacement was 2 yrs ago Sept. No jogging or high impact ever again,but pain free in that location of my body for the first time in 20 yrs with nice range of motion..... Physical therapy is huge ....muscle atrophy starts within days of being laid up. PT comes essy to those who enjoy exercise, stretching is big also..... Have a healthy riding season.......xXx

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They had me up and walking the same day as surgery. It's getting better every day and I'm feeling positive. Improvement seems to be incremental but it's happening. I am so anxious to get back on my bike that I'm almost questioning my ability to evaluate. Of course GF, doctor physical therapists want to tell you to wait 3 years so they're no help.

·
Registered
623 Posts
3 years?! I didn't expect you to be off for more than 3 weeks! Keep taking it at a comfortable pace, and don't force yourself up on that bike. I remember in NYC you were hopping up like it was riding a horse, so it'll be nice to see you be able to bend it up and over the seat when I see you again!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3 years?! I didn't expect you to be off for more than 3 weeks! Keep taking it at a comfortable pace, and don't force yourself up on that bike. I remember in NYC you were hopping up like it was riding a horse, so it'll be nice to see you be able to bend it up and over the seat when I see you again!
TY.....and you will see me again...sooner then later.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Ive had a few surgeries.
After a knee recon(22 years ago) i bought a fold up walking stick that fit in my inside jacket pocket so i could hobble to my 996 and ride to see the dr and physio. Get off the bike and pull a stick out of my pocket like a magician and hobble off.
After my big crash (femur/tib/fib) 12 years ago my wife saix i couldnt ride again til i could walk without my stick. So i put it down and hobbled down to the gsxr to practice laps around the car park.
I was younger and stupider then.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got up and went out with my GF and dog this morning for bagels and coffee and then went and bought compost and some garden stuff. I got back and thought, it's time to see where I'm at. Went out the the garage and cleared a little space around my bike and managed to get a leg over it and a foot on the peg. Not quite ready to ride but getting closer. It's not easy to have a MT 10 in your garage filled with gas and ready to roll and not ride it.

20210501_104738.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I decided to do a 2nd test getting on my bike and although it's awkward and painful getting on and lifting my leg up to get my foot on the peg, once it was on the peg, no knee pain. That's a big deal as I've been riding in pain for the last few years. My GF told to not even think of trying to ride today. I was thinking of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I decided to do a 2nd test getting on my bike and although it's awkward and painful getting on and lifting my leg up to get my foot on the peg, once it was on the peg, no knee pain. That's a big deal as I've been riding in pain for the last few years. My GF told to not even think of trying to ride today. I was thinking of it.
You may not want to hear it here.... because it sounds like you want someone's permission, but if I had to guess you still have some healing to do ( bone to implant). Could you get out there and ride today,most definitley. Work on your calfs, hamstrings and quads for another couple of weeks,and you will quiet everyone down and for sure be ready. MT 10 is no joke !

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I couldn't ride today. I can get my foot on the peg and in a resting position it's pain free which it wasn't before the new knee but moving it from the ground to the peg is like in slow motion. I need a normal range of motion to ride. I'm just not ready. No matter how fast or slow I get back on the bike, my GF will ask me to wait. Now that I've tested myself and can get my foot on the peg, I'm going to keep pounding out the physical therapy. Having a year old motorcycle in my garage is like having a supermodel in your bed. (with aftermarket suspension and every mod imaginable I might ad) How can you not want to just jump right in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I couldn't ride today. I can get my foot on the peg and in a resting position it's pain free which it wasn't before the new knee but moving it from the ground to the peg is like in slow motion. I need a normal range of motion to ride. I'm just not ready. No matter how fast or slow I get back on the bike, my GF will ask me to wait. Now that I've tested myself and can get my foot on the peg, I'm going to keep pounding out the physical therapy. Having a year old motorcycle in my garage is like having a supermodel in your bed. (with aftermarket suspension and every mod imaginable I might ad) How can you not want to just right in.
Post a pic or two of your ride and chill.........

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tomorrow is 1 month since surgery. Before the surgery I thought I'd be out by now. I'm doing really well but not quite ready to ride. I am getting close though and my physical therapist is actually trying to find exercises that will help me to get my foot off the ground to the peg comfortably. I can get it on the peg but not as quickly as I need in order to ride. At least it hasn't been a month of great weather where I feel like I'm missing out. I'm still anxious as hell to ride though.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Tomorrow is 1 month since surgery. Before the surgery I thought I'd be out by now. I'm doing really well but not quite ready to ride. I am getting close though and my physical therapist is actually trying to find exercises that will help me to get my foot off the ground to the peg comfortably. I can get it on the peg but not as quickly as I need in order to ride. At least it hasn't been a month of great weather where I feel like I'm missing out. I'm still anxious as hell to ride though.
Sit in a chair and lift your foot off the ground as high as you can. Keep your knee bent at 90*.
Like doing high knees jogging on the spot, but, well, sitting down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am 75 years old and ride (along with my Wing) a 2015 FJ-09...
a fun bike...one very important thing to remember in your
recovery is that you'll always be "In recovery"...quit exercising
and doing your drills and you'll slowly relapse...one very important
factor for me has been to consistently practice bending
my knees (and upper leg/thigh) down to my calf as far as possible....
like doing an extreme squat...that's the movement that is hardest
for me to maintain over time...good luck...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts