Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride up into North Carolina yesterday and noticed the clutch engagement was not as it had been.
Checked the cable at the motor and noticed that there was a bit of play at the adjuster, as if the cable had
stretched, maybe 7mm, or so. I only have about 2500 miles on the FZ. Is it normal for the cable to stretch at such low mileage?

Is it advised to lube this cable? Is not the cable sheathed by a teflon, or some such "no lube needed" cover?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Did it stretch suddenly, like the 7mm show up almost overnight? If so I would say you have some cable strands snapped inside the cable housing, and the rest will go soon. If it has been an over time stretch, then I think you are fine. A cable will stretch early in its life, and reaches a place where it's stretching slows. If you are like me, feathering and using the clutch a lot, it will easily stretch that much in a short amount of time. For lube, the manual says to lube it. My old FZ6 was not, but I lubed it like every other bike and ruined the cable's smooth action. This one takes lube.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I just sent an inquiry to Motion Pro about getting a replacement cable. I am not liking the trend that I am seeing. I have adjusted my cable more than any other bike that I have owned. I would much rather have a quality wound cable with a higher grade metal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like it's going to let go soon, most likely it'll break 5-6" from the adjuster. I sent my cable into Motion Pro last week and will be the recipient of their first produced FZ-09 cable. I bought an R1 cable which is working for the time being. I really believe that the bent metal sleeve, towards the lever end, is the culprit of these cables breaking.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not notice the difficulty with engaging first gear at the first start up of the day on last week's ride.
I'm wondering if the bar risers required for the steering damper is putting a strain on all of the cables, wiring and
brake hose?

I'm having an uneasy feeling about Yamaha's "cost cutting" measures with this bike. CCT, headlight harness,
clutch cable...what is next?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did not notice the difficulty with engaging first gear at the first start up of the day on last week's ride.
I'm wondering if the bar risers required for the steering damper is putting a strain on all of the cables, wiring and
brake hose?

I'm having an uneasy feeling about Yamaha's "cost cutting" measures with this bike. CCT, headlight harness,
clutch cable...what is next?
You forgot battery;)

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yes...the battery.
How much is that MotionPro replacement cable costing you?

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I've got approx. 5400-5500 miles on my bike and have never had to adjust it, except the initial adjustment to get it where I wanted it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ah yes...the battery.
How much is that MotionPro replacement cable costing you?
They quoted me close to $51. I imagine once they end up having a specific cable available for the FZ-09, that price should be considerably less than what I had to pay for a "custom" job.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the response. $51 is reasonable enough considering the danger and inconvenience of having a failure out on the road.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the response. $51 is reasonable enough considering the danger and inconvenience of having a failure out on the road.
True, I also have an OEM cable on order just in case (half the price BTW). My broken cable made me miss out on some perfect, peak foliage, fall weather days...never again.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the measured length of the OEM cable?
And what sort of problems could i expect if i ordered a cable an inch longer to account for the
increased bar height for the GPR bar risers?

I really should see about longer brake lines, as well.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My FZ09 has 11.5k miles and so far the clutch was adjusted when I installed the levers and no adjustments needed since.

I am curious if some of the cables are routed wrong at the factory or during set up at the dealer and causing binding/kinking issues 5" down from the lever, where the bent metal piece couples to the cable sheath.

If you bind or kink the cable they will wear excessively at that point and eventually break.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure the exact specs. I'm using an R1 cable for the time being and it works fine, just 2-3 inches longer than stock.

What is the measured length of the OEM cable?
And what sort of problems could i expect if i ordered a cable an inch longer to account for the
increased bar height for the GPR bar risers?

I really should see about longer brake lines, as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wonder if the R1 cable is of better quality/stronger?
Is cable strength/quality related to clutch pressure plate spring rate/tension?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wonder if the R1 cable is of better quality/stronger?
Is cable strength/quality related to clutch pressure plate spring rate/tension?
The R1 cable probably isn't any stronger than the FZ09 cable. The biggest difference is that the R1 doesn't have a bent metal piece near the lever end.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts