Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a half day yesterday for long commute home. As my FZ09 and I were going around an on ramp connecting to a bridge we came up on metal slick man holes. We maneuvered around the holes then came to metal bridge connecters that run across the road and only about a foot wide. First i felt the front tire slip and then a wobble then the back tire slip and another wobble. I squeezed my thighs against the tank, leaned more into the curve and held on with no damage.

What is the best way to handle slips on curves with the light powerful FZ09? Puddles of oil, slick man hole covers metal grates etc... you know... those small areas in the road were reaction time is what keeps you from being catapulted to opposite side of the lean.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Don't panic and brake...just go with it....the bike doesn't want to fall over...we usually force it to. Sounds like you handled it well

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Like I tell my 5 year old. Look where you want to go, focus on that, be stone cold, don't think about it...

When you think about it, you are down.

You are covering so much ground so quickly, once you notice the problem, you aren't in a good position to completely change your line most times. Just ride through, and don't target fixate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Best advice I have is to fight the urge to get too comfortable. Keep your sights well forward for these types of things. I was riding in the rain a long time ago and similar to your situation.. I inadvertently, let myself drift into the center of this curve... Why they needed a big white arrow on the ground in the curve is still a mystery. I touched the white paint and instantly it was mondo bizzarreo and arms and legs flapping around all over the bike and in the air as I fought going down hard in a low side.. the event happened and I got out of it... at the next light is when I finally started breathing again. Nothing sucks worse that finding yourself in a situation too late.. chock it up to a lesson learned and a near miss.. Glad you made it out unscathed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
dont be afraid of the wobble, as stated before the bike wants to stay upright, so long as you keep accelerating. so yeah be like water my friend.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Relax and let the bike ride it out. It's not like you do much anyways...when you tuen how much do you actually turn the handlebars? The bike reads your mind and if you say crash it will happen. You did exactly what you should have done, I know this because nothing bad happened. I slide quite often on painted lines, oil, man covers, gravel, etc. the bike always finds the traction again. Instincts make all the decisions for you, except turns, stops, and accelerating. Everything in the middle is instincts and intuition.

Enough zen speak? Haha

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have a question for anyone who knows the answer, because I don't.

"Death Wobbles."

Has anyone experienced this. I went to a crash scene, and when the guy regained consciousness, I asked him if he remembered what happened. All he said was "death wobbles." Mind you we were having this conversation about 170' in to the woods next to a bike that had the speedometer stuck on 105.

I went back up the road and found sort of a scalloped skid mark on the pavement. It went quite a ways before he totally lost it and went bounding through the pucker brush and trees. I don't even know which tire made the mark? I thought the front, but I'm not even sure about that.

He survived (at least left in the ambulance alive), and I never got to really follow up on this. I've seen videos of guys doing wheelies, and developing an uncontrollable wobble. Has this ever happened to anyone just straight down the road? I've never experienced it, but I've always owned candy ass under powered bikes.

If the answer is yes, then what's the remedy? Or is there one? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
he probably meant a tankslapper.
you just got to ride it out, even let go of the bars...and hope that you are pointed down the road...not off to the side. honestly they are a crap shoot...very violent and scary

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A bunch of bike set up issues can be a factor, but you should take care of those anyway. A well set up bike can have trouble when the front wheel doesn't have much weight is on it, or landing from a wheelie. The solution for that is a steering damper aka a steering stabilizer, for the 09 the way to go is the GPR one, sold by Stoltec.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I thought I tank slapper could be cured with a blip of the throttle? I have never had it happen. This bike humbles me on slick roads sometimes when I get happy and spin the tires. I try not to freak out on these things. Just ride it out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for reply's. I will use this info. Lot of pot holes left over from winter and they show up around blind curves. Practicing braking, swerving and brake swerving skills every chance I get. My FZ09 is lightest, has shortest wheel base and most powerful bike I have ever owned so I am having a blast getting used to her.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Has this ever happened to anyone just straight down the road? I've never experienced it, but I've always owned candy ass under powered bikes.

If the answer is yes, then what's the remedy? Or is there one? Thanks.
Guessing I may have experienced what you are describing. My prior riding experience before the FZ-09 was largely on maxi-scooters. One of them, the Honda Silver Wing, probably has more engine power than the suspension was intended to handle. I suspect the 14 inch front wheel may have something to do with this as well, as at higher speeds road imperfections became very noticeable through the handlebars.

Early in my ownership, I decided to explore the Silver Wing's speed potential. At a certain speed, let's just say a fair amount above the posted highway limit, the handlebars began to 'wobble,' which I could remedy by shifting my weight forward. At still higher speeds, the 'wobble' would become more severe, and the only remedy I found was to reduce speed. That very uncomfortable experience convinced me not to try again, at least not on the Silver Wing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Like I tell my 5 year old. Look where you want to go, focus on that, be stone cold, don't think about it...

When you think about it, you are down.

You are covering so much ground so quickly, once you notice the problem, you aren't in a good position to completely change your line most times. Just ride through, and don't target fixate.
Had a same situation as OP a few times in the past and once with my FZ-09. Fizzer you could not be more accurate about your post. You have to ice over your nerves and get through it. Thank you for that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is an old adage; When in doubt, throttle out. :cool:

Reactions: Killians87
1 - 18 of 18 Posts