Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trailered the FZ out to Hollister, more specifically Mike Corbin and am loaning them my bike to prototype their new seat for the FZ09. I know there are other options out there but to me there is no other aftermarket seat maker. I have owned 5 Corbin seats and this will be the 6th. All have been great seats. What can I say, I'm loyal if nothing else.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with...

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Please let us know the stock vs Corbin weight. My VFR seat was almost 3 times the weight of stock. I switched it out with a Sargent ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Corbin seat on my 600RR was firm - which I liked - but was also very heavy. Since it was easy to swap, I just used the Corbin for touring and threw the stock seat on when I knew I'd be hanging off it. I'm really interested to see what Corbin comes up with and how they balance comfort with performance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the interest of comfort, I have found 2 actions which compliment each other pretty nicely.
1) Buy a Mike Corbin seat
2) Eat a carrot on occasion to help with the weight penalty.

Yes, I'm being a smart ass. Sorry, can't help myself.
Let's face it, while the Corbin seat will be a bit heavier I am confident in the notion that most likely nobody including myself here can extract 100% of the performance available in a modern *sporting oriented* bike. Obviously where a guy or girl puts their butt is a personal choice, which brings me to another point. At Corbin, you can make an appointment for a Saturday morning (or any other morning) and they will take the seat and custom tailor it to your liking while you enjoy breakfast in the Mike Corbin Diner and shoot the poop with the other people that are there getting their custom seat made. THAT is what I call customer service and a legitimate business.

I know there are other seats out there and am in no way trying to take away anything from them. This is just my opinion....

If you go to the Diner, get carrots as a side.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Any update on this?

I have been somewhat of a mixed batch when it comes to seats; Corbin was by far my favorite on the FZ6 while Sargent hooked me with the first generation FZ1. I am trying to be patient with releases...not working all that well!:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give them a ring tomorrow to see what their status is. It will have been one and a half weeks at that point. They said it'll likely take 3-4 weeks. I miss that thing.

Yep. I'll call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Any updates?

I had an appointment with Corbin back in the day and had to cancel due to work constraints... was unable to get through to reschedule an appointment (your perception of their customer service and mine are waaaaaaay different).

Anyway, I've had Corbin seats on my last 3 bikes and would like another.

Just curious if you've heard anything yet, because the stock seat blows.

Looking forward to taking a road trip on the 9-er, but NOT on the stock seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a Corbin for my last bike, a TL1000S. It was a little heavy but I didn't mind. Would have liked it to have been softer - it was a little too firm for me. My butt would still get sore after a couple hours on the bike. It was a nice looking seat and the shape was much better than stock. Still rode the thing over 30k miles over 8 years so the seat couldn't have been that bad. Would have gone with a softer seat if I did it over again though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rode just 30 miles sunday I can say this is the worst seat (plank) I have ever had. Had Corbin on my FZ1 and Z1000. Hope they make a Gunfighter type seat.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Corbin has always seemed a little pricey... And other companies have matched and exceeded them in comfort while offering a more reasonable price... Just my opinion, by all means, make up your own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys and gals, picked up the FZ on Saturday and went for a ride. Then another. Heh. The seat came out great in my opinion. Mike Corbin was there and stated that Yamaha really seemed to nail it with the FZ. I assured him he was right:) They built up the rear in their Gunfighter style. I admit it take a little getting used to but after 500 miles this weekend I got used to it and really like it. The other thing I notice is my butt is not sore at all. I really like it. I'll try to take some real (not phone) pictures soon

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Supermoto Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
124 Posts
It looks like it'd be really comfortable. It does give the tail section more of a Ducati Monster look apposed to the wide dirt bike style of the stock seat. I don't know how my wife would like sitting on the back as it slopes off. Any word on price?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts