Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll

I have a question for you guys.

At what temperature does your cooling fan starts? I have never heard mine and sometimes I drive like 2 hours in a row. I know when I ride at low speed in the city, the motor gets pretty hot. I've got it all the way up 98 degrees and as soon as I went back on the highway, it cooled down all the way to 74-82 degrees. Just wondering if I should be worried or not for my motor to over-heat.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think you are looking at the ambient air temp and not the engine temp (the display will show you both - just not at the same time). The fan comes on based on engine temp and not air temp.

I think it comes on at 210 degrees?

·
Registered
25 Posts
yeah I don't think my fan comes on until 103-104C (218F?), and that only happens when stuck in stop n go traffic for extended periods, seems kind of hot, but 50/50 coolant under pressure should be ok up to 115-120C. that by pass switch is tempting but luckily I dont get stuck in traffic very often any more.

·
Registered
380 Posts
mine def comes on at 223 degrees

·
Registered
155 Posts
Im interested in the switch. But before adding that, is there any way to change when it comes on? Is it controlled by the computer or just a temp switch?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
If North is talking Celsius, I wouldn't worry about it.
Mine comes on around 105 Celsius, and it only gets that hot in stop and go like noumenon. Not and exact temp as I wear earlplugs and cant actually hear it.
As soon as I get any airflow, it drops back really quick. If the fan kicks in when I'm sitting still it drops. I wouldn't worry about it, changing the temp that the fan kicks on is fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
I've got a Vfr 800 streetfighter that I changed the side mount rads to a front mount. The MT09 already has a fully functional front mount rad. The Vfr specific forums are full of threads of people worried about the engine temp.
Just relax and ride.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine kicks on at around 205.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hmm wondering if soltec could do it

·
Registered
418 Posts
All 4 of my Yamaha's come on at 223 degrees as set from the factory. I have messed with the ECU and now they come on at 210. Doesn't really make a difference in performance though. The engine will cool off soon enough, just takes a little longer.

Reactions: nburkhouse

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, changing the temp that the fan kicks on is fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
This. Do these guys change their oil every 500 miles too? Especially with synthetic oil, 223 Fahrenheit is going to hurt nothing...and when it's at that temp, you're idling anyway. The temps drop as soon as the fan kicks on or you start moving. The higher temps actually help cook off more of the condensation that accumulates after every heat cycle.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Hmm wondering if soltec could do it

I would have to confirm by checking my bike again , but I'm pretty sure Nick lowers the temp in which it comes on by a few degrees when he applies his flash to your ECM ..I think mine kicked on at 205 last night when we were out tooling around...

·
Registered
155 Posts
If he does it be default great but id want even lower. Like 185. I do a decent amount of city riding and it just hovers at 230 with the fan on and I don't like that

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Don't ever understand why people want to add manual switch or make it turn on quicker... The engineers of yamaha set it to come on when it's needed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts