Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, does anyone look at their coolant temp before starting to ride? If you do, what temp do you prefer?
Thank you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
At work, I start it, put on my helmet and gloves, then go. By the time I'm out of the parking lot, it's off low. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't even put the bike in gear until *LO* is off the display. I usually don't start riding till 120-130, and that's putting around till it reaches cruising temp
I do the same religiously. I think it's just a little OCD at my end.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't necessarily check the actual temperature but, I too typically let it sit and warm up. Usually 5 mins or so. That gives me a enough time to situate my gear and find the right song to play on my sena when just pulling out.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your response

I don't even put the bike in gear until *LO* is off the display. I usually don't start riding till 120-130, and that's putting around till it reaches cruising temp
Project, is cruising temp the same as normal operating temp? What temp would that be? Thanks

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Ignore the temperature, give it enough time for oil to circulate and then go easy at first. It will reach normal operating temps much quicker that way.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I let both my car and bike warm up before I start driving/riding. I'm more concerned about oil temps. Oil is thicker when cool therefore will not circulate and lubricate as well. It's always a smart idea to let your engine warm up to operating temperatures.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Religiously, I'll start the bike, then put on my helmet, gloves, turn on my Sena w/ some Motley Crue radio. It's usually 109F at the point.

The tuner that tuned my car changed the turbo settings to allow full boost when my oil hits 150F. Pretty much any oil over 100F is good to go!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Copy that! Thanks everyone, my last bike was air cooled so with the 09 I didn't know if I had to watch the temp before riding. All is clear now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I constantly monitor it. No need. But I do it anyway.

My klr Is liquid cooled and the needle dances one way or the other a lot when riding in the mud

1 - 17 of 17 Posts