Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does the coolant have anti freezing capabilities???? I just did a search on which coolant to use and the one suggested stated freezes at 32 f......just curious if I need to winterize it or not.....

just saw to use yamacool....will pick some up later this week....the other was for race engines....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Think most coolants will be fine, unless you plan a tour to North Pole
Read what it says on the bottle ( dont dilute)

I use (or rather my dealer) Yamalube that can handle down to -35*C

32f is 0*C , so obviously not gonna cut it when temperature drops to that.
Some race coolants seem to have a high freezing point, probably because people dont race during winter.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I would hope that all of these bikes shipped with coolant with adequate freeze protection ..if not, this will be the first time I have bought a bike that hadn't.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I just checked my bottle of YamaCool it says it is good for -62 Deg F (-52 Deg C).

So it should be fine if you have YamaCool in your 09.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The manual says 1:1 High-quality ethylene glycol anti-freeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines.

IOW, it does NOT freeze at 32f

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have read most of the threads about running too cool but I think mine runs too hot. I am not going to ride below 60 and I am amazed at how fast it gets hot in traffic once it does reach operating temps. 170's if I never have to stop is a cool as it gets, 180s to 190s at stop light and 215 and up if there are more than 2 or 3 lights. It seems to go up much faster than it comes down.

So my question is, has anyone tried any of the water wetter products like Red Line or Supercool? I have had good results in the car (very noticeable when pulling a trailer) but it seems antifreeze seems to come in very specific flavors now days and I am afraid to dump some in. I mean, the fluid is blue!

Thanks,
Foutainclimber

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Water Wetter contains nothing for freeze protection, in other words, it will freeze at 32 degrees F, as it is mixed with water when used in a cooling system. It's certainly not recommended if you live in an area that gets below freezing, unless you know for sure that you can keep it in a temperature controlled location.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
YamaCool is a coolant and an antifreeze. YamaCool is good for -62 Deg F (-52 Deg C), it is also good for +272 Deg F (+133 Deg C) with a 15 psig pressure cap. It also notes to "Do Not Dilute" on the bottle of YamaCool. If you add water you will decrease the coolants boiling point.

Distilled water boils at 0 psig (14.69 psia) at +212 Deg F (+100 Deg C) (14,69 psia at sea level)
So at 15psig (29.69 psia) water boils at approx. +250 Deg F (+121 Deg C)

So distilled water should be ok as a coolant, just beware that it does not work as good as a proper coolant does. Plus it will freeze at +32 Deg F (0 Deg C).

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Plus, just water will have zero lubricating qualities for the water pump.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Engine Ice is a good product also! Sportbike Track Time even allows it in the Intermediate and Advanced groups. E.I. will take the freeze protection down to -26 F, which should be good for a lot of the owners other than the Northern folks if left in an unheated storage area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts