Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just finished replacing my gas tank, and crank case cover. Big jobs to say the least.

I'm no mechanic, but I managed somehow to get these repairs done.

Which brings me to my question regarding coolant.

I'm a little confused, I can see the reservior, and the level indicator, but how does that relate to putting coolant in the radiator? Do I fill the radiator up to the top, and fill the coolant reservoir to the appropriate level separately.

And when the owners manual says 1:1, they're referring to water:coolant I'm assuming, and does this apply to the radiator as well.

I'm an amateur at this, so any advice would be appreciated. After the gas tank, and crank case replacement I thought this would be easy, but the guidelines in the owners manual are ambiguous.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm a little confused, I can see the reservior, and the level indicator, but how does that relate to putting coolant in the radiator? Do I fill the radiator up to the top, and fill the coolant reservoir to the appropriate level separately.
yes, fill both.

And when the owners manual says 1:1, they're referring to water:coolant I'm assuming, and does this apply to the radiator as well.
yes, 1:1 mix of water:antifreeze. applies to both the radiator and the coolant tank. use distilled water and antifreeze that's safe for aluminum cooling systems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep 1/1 water and coolant. Fill up radiator to full and the res. let it run awhile and get the fan to kick on and recheck level. I leave the radiator cap off while running to let the air out of the system. It's a really easy process.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

Yes and yes. The ratio of coolant to water is 1:1 (unless you buy the pre-mixed stuff, which is already 1:1 from the manufacturer).
Fill the rad slowly to the top, burping it from time to time by squeezing the hoses. Fill the res to the proper level. Check both caps are secure and you're good to go. Do a full warm up and cool down, then check the level in the res and top up if required.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yep 1/1 water and coolant. Fill up radiator to full and the res. let it run awhile and get the fan to kick on and recheck level. I leave the radiator cap off while running to let the air out of the system. It's a really easy process.
If you do leave the cap off, just keep an eye on it and cap it quickly when it starts to overflow to avoid any spillage...

·
Registered
420 Posts
My fan comes on at about 227°F. That will not happen if you leave the cap off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts