Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changed the coolant today. A couple of things worth noting.

I included a picture of the coolant drain bolt. It's the bolt at the bottom of the water pump housing.

Also the reservoir tank is a cluster to re-install. There are several spacers/collars that will drop out and it's a bit of a puzzle to figure out just where they go.

Next time I will not remove it to drain it. I will just suck out the old coolant

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good job Tim and thanks for the heads up about the reservoir tank.

Forgot tot ask, what coolant did you use? The owners manual only says "High-quality ethylene glycol anti-freeze containing corrosion inhibitor for aluminum engines", what ever that means... lol

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yamaha Aluma-Cool is probably what they're getting at lol

Reactions: RickyNY

·
Registered
673 Posts
For the reservoir, I always take the plunger from a bottle of handsoap and attach a hose to i. 5 pumps will usually empty it.

For coolant choice, I like Honda's. Will probably go with engine ice since I plan on riding track days.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
For the reservoir, I always take the plunger from a bottle of handsoap and attach a hose to i. 5 pumps will usually empty it.

For coolant choice, I like Honda's. Will probably go with engine ice since I plan on riding track days.
Sacrilege! I don't want anything "Honda" near my Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with the Honda stuff. That's what my buddy who owns the local shop stocks on the shelf. He uses it in all brands he services.

Here is an interesting side note. I used to have an 07 Honda Accord. When I changed the coolant on it I used the Honda brand. I still have most of a gallon left on the shelf. The color of it is blue just like the Yamaha stuff that came out of my FZ09. Hummm.

And of course the Honda stuff is Green.

Well at least none of them are purple...if they were I would be worried indeed. Just as follows.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I went with the Honda stuff. That's what my buddy who owns the local shop stocks on the shelf. He uses it in all brands he services.

Here is an interesting side note. I used to have an 07 Honda Accord. When I changed the coolant on it I used the Honda brand. I still have most of a gallon left on the shelf. The color of it is blue just like the Yamaha stuff that came out of my FZ09. Hummm.

And of course the Honda stuff is Green.

Well at least none of them are purple...if they were I would be worried indeed. Just as follows.
Just man up and go for the pink

Product Liquid Automotive care Fluid Photography

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hawk-after you drained it you ran distilled water, drained, filled, and ride? Mine is due and have the time to do it

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Peak Long-Life full strength...available at Traget, etc is an excellent product. Running it in everything I have.

The owners manual only says "High-quality ethylene glycol anti-freeze containing corrosion inhibitor for aluminum engines", what ever that means... lol
Frankly that is normal coolant content.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
the service manual has a good diagram of how the reservoir is mounted for future reference.

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
is this coolant compatible with our bikes? is it good enough? I have some left over from newly opened jug that I'd like to use.
Yes, but be sure to flush out the system with clean distilled water.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i just ordered Evans water-less coolant, going to change it next week, no water no rust..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i just ordered Evans water-less coolant, going to change it next week, no water no rust..
engine and radiator are aluminum, so no rust anyway. all modern antifreezes have corrosion inhibitors, just make sure to use one that's compatible with aluminum cooling systems.

i did a coolant change and flush at 18k miles. the oem stuff came out looking clean and the inside of the radiator looked brand new.

evans is basically 100% glycol. you can save your money and buy undiluted antifreeze and it would perform the same.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
funny thing is, the damn coolant reservoir is the fiddliest part of the entire coolant change process!

remove radiator cap and drain bolt, coolant drains out. easy peasy.

the coolant reservoir has loose spacers and bolts and hoses and everything needs to be sandwiched together correctly to bolt up to the frame. i think i spent more time putting the reservoir together than i did actually draining and replacing the coolant. in hindsight, i should have just rubber cemented the spacers in place to make things easier.

fortunately, won't need to do it often, especially if you use one of those long-life antifreezes.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts

That'll make your CCT rattle.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
funny thing is, the damn coolant reservoir is the fiddliest part of the entire coolant change process!

remove radiator cap and drain bolt, coolant drains out. easy peasy.

the coolant reservoir has loose spacers and bolts and hoses and everything needs to be sandwiched together correctly to bolt up to the frame. i think i spent more time putting the reservoir together than i did actually draining and replacing the coolant. in hindsight, i should have just rubber cemented the spacers in place to make things easier.

fortunately, won't need to do it often, especially if you use one of those long-life antifreezes.
Turkey baster with PVC hose attached for me. Suck it out, fill half way with distilled water, shake bike, and suck it out again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts