Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined to ask a question from actual owners of this bike. No rhetoric, just good honest opinions...

I have had a lot of bikes over the years. 7 Ducati's, couple Triumphs, a KTM Super Duke 990, several Honda's, some Suzuki's, and an FZ1. Currently I am on a Ducati 1198 Xerox.

I ride a lot, do some track days, etc... I recently rode to Destin, FL from Atlanta on the 1198. At 41 years old, huge mistake. While the bike corners like a cat on carpet and has near Busa acceleration, it just isn't good for long distances, carrying any baggage, etc... It's a race bike with lights, fine for track days and mountain riding, but not great at the other stuff.

So I have been looking for something more like the Multistrada 1200. But I am not spending that much money on a bike. I looked around at the KTM SM-T 990, the Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200, the Ninja 1000 and another FZ1.

I had a 2007 FZ1 that had been tuned, exhaust, airbox mod, HyperPro steering damper, Traxxion Dynamics AK20 forks, Penske 8983 shock, steel brake lines, EBC rotors, and lots of cosmetic stuff. Overall, was probably one of the best "Do it all" bikes I have owned. May not have been as "cool" as my current ride, but wicked fast, great on the road, great on the track, etc... And cheaper!

So I am leaning towards selling my 1198 and getting an FZ1, getting Ivan's "Performance Package" and all that.

But I have been reading lots of great stuff about the FZ-09. And I am wondering, how does it stack up against the FZ1? I know that the FZ1 has more power and better stock suspension, but it is $3k more. I can get a slipon, PC-V and tune, and upgrade the fork internals and get an Ohlins shock for around that... The FZ1 would still require me to shell out $1200 to get it where I want it for power and smoothness... High 140's at the rear wheel with ease...

But I am wondering if a pipe, filter, airbox mod and tune will yield a solid 115hp or so on the FZ-09, with a lot less weight, and the money I save can go to brake lines and suspension, which is probably the one area the FZ-09 would need some work?

Also, how is that bike for someone that is 6'3" and 235lbs without gear?

Any honest, no bullshit insight would be greatly appreciated as I make my decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Getting to 115 is going to take some work, Flash tune, pipe, not sure the tuned airbox can be improved. Here is the thing, it is the crossplane crank inline 3 cylinder that pumps out major torque but sings like an inline 4. It puts down some serious torque and is nimble. The fun factor in A mode stock is impressive. On the road, you will get battered like a brown paper bag until someone comes up with a decent looking screen with a fair amount of wind protection. I installed the Penske and will complete a stiffer fork spring upgrade this week. The shock is a huge improvement already. Down the road I will put cartridges in the forks to complete the transformation. It is almost unrideable with the stock suspension

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm.. Would you consider it to be a better bike than the FZ1, I guess is my real question... If I decide to sell the 1198, it will most likely be to get one of the yamaha's... The FZ1 has the benefit of having wind protection, and about $1200 gets you an ECU flash, PC-V with map, a slipon, BMC air filter and airbox mod. The results are an honest 145-148hp at the wheel, with a 25HP gain through part of the midrange.

But it is heavier, costs more, etc...

Tough call!

·
Registered
877 Posts
5'10" long torso, short legs @30 " inseam, 230 with gear, 62 yr in Jan.

Have owned or currently almost all the bikes mentioned above, and many more.

That being said, most people could get by with max preload front and rear.

A $ 90 set of fork springs would be the 1st investment. Would recommend .95 at our weight.

The FZ 09 is so much lighter and has much low end as to offset the max hp

of some of the other bikes.

Plenty of leg room and upright riding position.

Still breaking it in, but took it to 109 mph with 90 miles on the motor.

Have video of bike running The Tight Side and Fast Side of Palomar Mtn.

This is my current project as I haven't been so jazzed about a bike since the 1999 Hayabusa

which evolved into a dedicated drag bike so I bought a spare . :cool:

I have a "spare" FZ 09 , already.

The bikes are in The Skunk Werkz, getting some aftermarket wheels fitted I have had for years.

Something to be said for having a small machine shop.

I think the FZ 09 will have the biggest cult following since the SV 650, and it would smoke it.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
206 Posts
well..power wise, it's a toss up.
I have ridden both the carbed FZ and the FI FZ1, and neither of them really did it for me. Maybe it was limited seat time. But to say that I like my new 9 is an understatement.
keep in mind that the fi FZ1 was based around the R1. Same frame, modified motor, so there's good there, but there's also bad.

The fz9 was purpose built right from the get go.

I sold my fun bike (heavily modded '98 900rr) and my sport tourer (2001 vfr 800) and don't miss the extra horses (pretty sure because the fz9 feels lighter), and the wind protection of the vfr.
I'm 5'9" and about 180 lb, and find the bike very comfy, with lots of room

If you're looking for a bit of wind protection both FZ1 have the FZ9 beat. But I honestly thing that the fz9 is a funner bike, and they will have a lot of choices for screens etc..
Sw motech is working on luggage (hard bag), and there's soft removable bags already available.
more stuff here if you're bored: FZ9-Initial thoughts ? thetenerist

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool. How would you compare the performance and handling of that FZ-09 to the Duc Hyper that you are chasing him with? I ask, because one of the Ducs I had was a 2008 Hyper 1100. Loved it, but I missed the top end of the liquid cooled bikes I was used to, so traded it for a Super Duke 990.

My local tuner that I use(Huey at Marietta Motorsports) can do an Ohlins TTX shock and some NIX30 internals and springs for under $2500 installed. The money I save on the FZ-09 versus the FZ1, will cover that. From there, I am thinking that a simple slipon, filter and tune will have me up in power a bit. It won't compare to what I could get out of the FZ1 in sheer power... But if I could be in the mid 100 teens, with a weight reduction(exhaust, passenger pegs, stock mirrors, chain guard, etc...), the power to weight ratio will probably be about the same as my 2011 Speed Triple 1050. I made 124hp at the wheel, but even with the 30lbs weight reduction, it was probably still 50lbs or so heavier than the stock FZ-09.

If I did the tuning, suspension and upgraded the brake lines and pads, I would imagine that for less than $11k, I would have one hell of a formidable little streetfighter on my hands.

I am less concerned about wind protection, and more concerned about comfort and handling. If I could make my 1198 comfortable for longer rides I would keep it. At 161hp and 91ft/lbs at the wheel it is an absolute beast, but if I am in agony after 90 minutes of a 5 hour trip, what good is it?

The FZ1 seems like a good compromise between the performance of a superbike, but more for the real world. But something about this FZ-09 has me intrigued. Some of the other bikes I was considering, the SM-T 990, makes about the same power but costs $6k more new. The Aprilia is $4k more, but not sure it is worth it for 10hp more at the wheel(but a lot more torque) and the very limited dealer network, cost of accessories, etc...

The Yammies seem like the best compromise, I just can't figure out which one will be the best choice long term.

How is it to tune the FZ-09? I see with ride by wire and different power modes, what is the best way to tune? PC-V? Or an ECU flash, or something like "ECU Unleased"... I am thinking that if you use a piggy-back system like the PC-V in "A" mode, the fueling would be totally off for B or Rain, no? And you don't want to have to create 3 custom maps on the PC-V and then have to switch BOTH whenever you switch the Yamaha map, right?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Check out:
http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/10-fz-09-builds/412-stoltec-project-bike-gonna-long-thread.html
Stoltec Moto

I'll be getting the Flashtune product via Stoltec that lets you load maps and do your own tuning etc from a laptop. Other than that I'll be staying stock for power stuff, if I changed the exhaust it'd probably be a full Graves. My understanding of it is that with Flashtune you will still have 3 modes and will be able to individually remap them, you can make B milder and A wilder etc. And also make the throttle smother in all 3 modes, on/off gas etc.

I'll also be getting a Penske and fork stuff from Stoltec.

Marietta Motorsports, 10+ years ago didn't they have a nice catalog for mail/web order? Small but quality fast stuff and good service, I'm just getting back into riding and it seems like they don't do that anymore.

http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/10-fz-09-builds/856-skunk-werkz-pictures-ongoing-project.html --- that one is for drool factor lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've never spent more than 30 minutes on an FZ-1, but my brother who had one for years rode my 09 and said "this is what the FZ-1 should have been. Especially the engine".

That's really all of the input I have.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've never spent more than 30 minutes on an FZ-1, but my brother who had one for years rode my 09 and said "this is what the FZ-1 should have been. Especially the engine".

That's really all of the input I have.
My buddy said the same after a 5 minute ride on the FZ-09 - his first Gen FZ1 was 100lbs more and it took him a LOT of Ivans products and an exhaust to get his to 128ish at the rear wheel but when pushing 100lbs less mass, the 09 has the same or more thrust up until a very high speed.

Having said all that, it came down to the FZ versus the KTM 990 SM-T as well with price being the deciding factor as the Yammy is $6000Canuck bucks less that the Katoom. From what I read though, the SM-T is damn near ideal for what you're looking for.

I think if you can mod the FZ to about 112-114hp with a nice smooth map thats had the ECU cracked/unleashed - with the suspension done and possibly a fly screen, you will have one helluva fun all-rounder.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm not sure this belongs on this thread since I've haven't ridden the FZ-09. However, I finally got to sit on one today for the first time.

I noticed a couple things in the show room that I feel will be important. Firstly, I'm just a tad under 6' tall, with a long torso and short inseam. I like that I can easily flat foot the bike. I was surprised how low the seat was. Of course that led to my first concern. The suspension feels soft. At least it feels soft to someone that tips the scale at about 220. (I guess the typical over 50 physic) There was a little bit more sit in than I would prefer. I have no idea where the pre-load was? I just hopped on the show room bike so maybe that could be stiffened up a bit?

I was impressed with the narrow feel of the bike, and forward visibility. I was not so impressed with that seat. I've sat on plywood that wood rival it for comfort. It seemed like that would wear your tail out on long ride day. Maybe it just takes getting used to? I just felt that a seat that felt that hard in 5 minutes, wasn't going to get more comfy in 90 minutes.

The last thing that struck me was the blue wheels. They just don't photograph well. I have never liked them in the pictures I've seen, but in person, they look pretty nice. The bike at our dealer came with Bridgestone tires. I know that tires have been an issue with some.

What I found most disturbing was my conversation with the sales guy. Maybe I should cut him some slack since he's primarily selling snowmobiles this time of year, but I knew so much more about the "09" than he did. I attribute that to reading just about everything on this forum. I was really shocked that he had never heard of the MT-07. I had to show him a picture on my Iphone to convince him it existed. (at least in Europe)

Overall, I like the bike. I still see it as a "step up" bike for me. Since I took about 10 years off from the sport, I am going to reenter with a slightly tamer steed. I can see an FZ-09 or an FZ-07 in may future in about two years.

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Auto part Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

By the way. Look out the window and it's easy to see why it's going to be a while in these latitudes. We got 12 more inches this week. Not riding anything without a track for quite a few months.

Snowmobile Vehicle Sled Space Winter sport

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have ridden an fz1 and even considered buying one once. In my view the fz09 is a great fun hooligan bike and I will use mine for commuting and fun canyon rides. As a naked, wind protection will always be lacking, even when fly screens and windshields become available. As far as horsepower goes, the bike has plenty for the frame and other than a tune to deal with a somewhat abrupt off throttle-on throttle issue, it pulls like a mother. I have never ridden a bike that wheelies so eagerly, not even the VTRs I owned for years. I think this bike is a steal at the price because of the engine alone. As many here have stated, with some suspension upgrades it will be a hell of a bike. But don't expect the quality of your Duc.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Billy, to be fair to the salesman, I have always known more about any machine than the rep. I think it's simply because I concentrated on one specific model instead of an entire lineup. You are entirely correct about the seat... I believe it is constructed of 3/4 inch birch (j/k)! As I said in a previous post, the proof in the pudding will be the test ride. If you prefer a light, maneuverable trail breaker (like an original ski-doo) against a heavy power machine (like a modern Yami), you will fall in love with the FZ09. It is so different than any bike I have ridden... even with it's limitations, it is so much fun to ride... something you will just have to find out for yourself. ;) :testdrive:

·
Registered
663 Posts
test drive of the FZ-09

... the proof in the pudding will be the test ride. If you prefer a light, maneuverable trail breaker (like an original ski-doo) against a heavy power machine (like a modern Yami), you will fall in love with the FZ09.

I agree. I shot the bike with the window in the background to emphasize my plight.(lots of snow) In Alaska, we're about 4.5 months away from riding motorcycles. The Yamaha showroom was packed with snowmobiles. They had a Bolt, a "Star" bike of some kind, and the FZ-09. crunched in between.

The Anchorage dealer ordered 10, and he says he wish had twice that many coming. He ordered before orange was on the table, so there are none of those on the way in the spring. But he'll have some red, and some graphite.

Motorcycle helmet Helmet Personal protective equipment Clothing Goggles All is not lost. I'm taking the sled out for a ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All good info, guys!

So far, here is the conclusion that I am coming to...

If I was not on a bike right now, and wanted the best bang for the buck on the market... something light, agile, fast, with a motor full of character, this would be the bike. No doubt, this would be in my garage with an exhaust, tune and Ohlins front and rear and some better brake lines. Done!

But coming from an 1198, and before that a Speed Triple, Streetfighter 1098, etc... I can't help but feel that I would be taking a major downgrade... Not in quality, not in "status"... but the drop in power would be too much I think. We are talking about a solid 50hp drop, and almost 30ft/lbs of torque, at the wheel. The only thing to keep in mind I guess, is that the KTM SM-T would have the same power as the Yammie, but it would weigh 65lbs more, so I am not dismissing it outright.

I think that I really need to go RIDE one, and see if it would work for me. If they had an FZ-11 with a larger triple motor, I think that I would be on it like Michael Jackson on a Cub Scout.

You guys have given me some good things to mull over, thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Since Michael Jackson was tried in my town, I don't like to think about that.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This is the fastest bike I've ridden, I can't imagine why you would need more torque than what it has....and at the speeds that power is dominate, you are limited by comfort because of no windshield, not power. From 0-90 for an actual rideable bike, there is more than enough under the hood for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the fastest bike I've ridden, I can't imagine why you would need more torque than what it has....and at the speeds that power is dominate, you are limited by comfort because of no windshield, not power. From 0-90 for an actual rideable bike, there is more than enough under the hood for me.
Because I am coming from the opposite end of the spectrum. To me, it would be a 50% drop in power. But it might be fine, will have to ride one and see..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts