Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm watching the forum so I can decide weather or not I should cross over to the dark side. I presently ride(among my 4 bikes) an 09' Street Triple. I'm also a member of the Triumph675 forum. I have been spending a lot of time watching every youtube video there is on the FZ-09. I love torque and just can't get enough of it since first riding the Striple. The more the better. I "might" consider the FZ-09 this summer. I've been to the dealer and got see one. They only had one and it is already sold. The owner isn't riding it yet so he lets the dealer keep it on the show room floor for right now. From what I've seen it looks great. Every thing seems to fit very well. I'm going to do some research to find some demo rides first though. My dealer hear never has any. So I might have a lot of questions and will be reading everything I can. I'm like that. I do a lot of research before turning loose of cash. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm watching the forum so I can decide weather or not I should cross over to the dark side. I presently ride(among my 4 bikes) an 09' Street Triple. I'm also a member of the Triumph675 forum. I have been spending a lot of time watching every youtube video there is on the FZ-09. I love torque and just can't get enough of it since first riding the Striple. The more the better. I "might" consider the FZ-09 this summer. I've been to the dealer and got see one. They only had one and it is already sold. The owner isn't riding it yet so he lets the dealer keep it on the show room floor for right now. From what I've seen it looks great. Every thing seems to fit very well. I'm going to do some research to find some demo rides first though. My dealer hear never has any. So I might have a lot of questions and will be reading everything I can. I'm like that. I do a lot of research before turning loose of cash. Thanks for any input.
the Street Triple is a better bike than the FZ-09. That is what MCN said in their magazine when I read it today. If you are looking for a bike with a little more torque...and worse suspension....and less trade in value...then get the FZ-09.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've owned both and here's my take on the bikes.
Let's try an analogy: If these bikes (street 3 and 09) were sisters you'd have the good sister (street 3), who's hair is always perfect, she's always nice and polite, she never looks disheveled, everything about her has a place and everything is in it's place. She's always predictable, she always does what she's told and she does it all well. You can always count on her to be virtuous and honorable. She does everything SO good that it's tuff to find a flaw in her.
Now to the other sister (09). She's never quite as refined, nor is she as perfect or as predictable as her good sister (the street 3). She's more of the dirty, sultry, slutty sister that you wish you were dating. Maybe in the eyes of some she's not as pretty... but damn it, she's a heck of a lot more fun. She'll be as nasty as you want her to be and then some. She'll take you to the edge and scare the peanuts out of your M&M's. She'll ride you as hard as you ride her.... and then when she's had her way with you and you're exhausted from screaming her name... you'll still be smiling.

And in the end my friend, when it's all said and done... to me it's all about the smiles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know this sentiment has been stated on here a metric shit ton but just for the record:

The FZ-09 will destroy the Street Triple R IF you put the money saved on the Yamaha towards upgrading the suspension and get an ECU reflash. Out of the box the Trumpet is a better machine - handles better, has a better wrist to pavement connection, and is a smidge lighter. Throw $1900 at the FZ though and it's a different story. 15ft lbs of torque over the Triumph almost everywhere makes for a lot more jam when you need it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
it's easier and cheaper to fix the 09's suspension than it is to bring the street triple's torque deficit up to par.

hell, the fork spring/oil and ninja shock combo will run....what, $300? you can't even buy a new power commander for the striple for the same money.

if you love torque, you'll love the 09. you'll probably love the speed triple even more if you can get over the extra weight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The Street Triple "R" is an incredible package. I owned both an '09 and an'11 at the same time, sold both last year, glad I did. I have less than $250 in suspension mods and a re-flash, I think it's a match for the STR in the suspension/chassis now, and fuelling as well. The engine however is in a whole different league. For me it's a no brainer, I'm gonna have the FZ for quite a while.

Someone mentioned the Speed Trip. I personally wouldn't even consider one, it weighs 50lbs. more, and feels it. I love the look of the Speed, and rode it back to back with the Street, and bought the Street. One magazine review I saw, had the new FZ and a few other bikes in the test including the Speed and Street Trips. The reviewers placed the Speed Trip last, in part due to the extra weight.

@ CD599: I've read almost as many reviews stating the FZ-09 is better, and better is for the most part is subjective, anyway.

But:

"If you are looking for a bike with a little more torque...and worse suspension....and less trade in value...then get the FZ-09"

A little more torque? How about a "BUTTLOAD" more torque (14-16 more ft lbs at a much lower rpm). Suspension: cheap and easy fix. Trade in value: You'd be crazy to spend as much on a used ST as a new FZ-09.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The Street Triple "R" is an incredible package. I owned both an '09 and an'11 at the same time, sold both last year, glad I did. I have less than $250 in suspension mods and a re-flash, I think it's a match for the STR in the suspension/chassis now, and fuelling as well.
By your own words...you spent $250 just to make it comparable to the FZ. The magazine article tested STOCK bikes not modded ones. So the article was correct.....a stock Street Triple is a better bike. Anybody knows you can make a Gold Wing handle better than a FZ-09 if you throw enough money at it. I'm happy that you are enjoying your new bike and in your mind trying to justify your purchase...but in reality where I live....A street triple has better suspension ...better tires...lighter...and has higher resale value. Stock ..on a twisty road...a street triple would destroy an FZ-09. On a racetrack it would be worse. All the magazines say that exact same thing. Trying to compare an entry level, low cost beginner bike to a high cost track weapon is a joke. The two shouldn't even be compared against each other.

Now if you were to say that your skill level is below average and you have no need for a track day weapon like a Street Triple...then I'd agree with you that the FZ-09 fits your needs. And if you were to say that the FZ09 is the most fun to ride...and is the best bang for the buck....then I would also agree with you. But to say the F-09 is a better bike STOCK....I have to laugh.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
By your own words...you spent $250 just to make it comparable to the FZ. The magazine article tested STOCK bikes not modded ones. So the article was correct.....a stock Street Triple is a better bike. Anybody knows you can make a Gold Wing handle better than a FZ-09 if you throw enough money at it. I'm happy that you are enjoying your new bike and in your mind trying to justify your purchase...but in reality where I live....A street triple has better suspension ...better tires...lighter...and has higher resale value. Stock ..on a twisty road...a street triple would destroy an FZ-09. On a racetrack it would be worse. All the magazines say that exact same thing. Trying to compare an entry level, low cost beginner bike to a high cost track weapon is a joke. The two shouldn't even be compared against each other.

Now if you were to say that your skill level is below average and you have no need for a track day weapon like a Street Triple...then I'd agree with you that the FZ-09 fits your needs. And if you were to say that the FZ09 is the most fun to ride...and is the best bang for the buck....then I would also agree with you. But to say the F-09 is a better bike STOCK....I have to laugh.
Is this based on your opinion via reading magazine articles or actually riding both bikes?

The fact that you call an fz09 a beginner bike and the str a track weapon leads me to believe you have no idea what you're talking about.

The fz 09 has a shit ton more power and torque than the str but it's a beginner bike/meant for a below average rider, how?

If the str is a "track day weapon," why make the Daytona? While you can ride it on the track, is not meant for this, the fz and str have the same exact purpose.

Imo I'm picking engine over suspension any day of the week.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The magazine article tested STOCK bikes not modded ones. So the article was correct.....a stock Street Triple is a better bike.
that may be true, but unless you insist on keeping your bikes 100% stock, what does it matter?

Trying to compare an entry level, low cost beginner bike to a high cost track weapon is a joke
the 09 is low cost, but it's about as much an entry level beginner bike as the street triple is a high cost track weapon.

they're both 3-cylinder naked streetbikes, that's why comparisons between the two are inevitable.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You can't pass judgement on something you've never ridden.

If someone is claiming to be an expert because they read ONE British magazine article well, let's take a second to think about the validity of that right there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
Convince you? Even when I worked at motorcycle dealerships and sold an occasional bike - I never tried to convince anyone. The Cycle World comparison stated the Street Triple R (not the standard Street Triple) "smaller displacement really is what hurt the Street Triple R in this company. Triumph has 800cc versions of this engine, and perhaps it’s time for one in this model. If you can live without the quick snap and meaty muscle of the other bikes, the Street Triple has the best chassis compromise and is a reasonable value if they don’t raise the price too much." Did a British magazine do the same comparison and like the British bike more - wow - I'm surprised... Middleweight Three-Cylinder Engine Motorcycles- Comparison Review

The Street Triple is a really good bike, you already own it - so we're not just comparing bikes - it has to be a significant difference to be worth trading. What the FZ-09 has over the Street is 35% more torque and ride by wire with selectable modes. I would love to have an RZ350 with pipes for weekend strafing and track days - but for anything else I want torque. Would 35% more torque be enough for me to trade in a perfectly good Street Triple? I don't know - and unless you ride an FZ-09 you won't know either. Swap bikes wit ha friend or schedule a test ride. Don't swap without riding one first.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Better price, better power. The triple bike may be better "stock" but how much does it cost over the Fz? Some guy walked in and said " I don't like to mod, I want something fast right out of the box." Looked at the reviews and went for the triumph. It's like a corvette guy getting mad when you walk his overpriced "track weapon" down the strip with a project build :) even comparing stock, it's apples to oranges just on price and refinement alone then. Just because vehicle A has the same cylinders as vehicle B doesn't mean you should compare them.

You know what you can compare the fz09 too? The fz8/6/6r/1 and I take it as a great compliment that they are being compared to higher end bikes like apprilla and MV Agusa. It means they are doing something right.

Your elitist attitude is disheartning. "Below average skill?" Buy your overpriced triple. Il buy a 9 throw the same amount at the fz and not only would it out perform, but since it's a cheaper bike, more people bought it, when more people buy it, more aftermarket becomes available, and when that happens, mods get cheaper. And it's usually the squid riding a brand new R-1 "track weapon" dragging his feet accross the red light. Tell tale of a below average skill as you call it.

One more thing. Calling something with a power to weight ratio of .25 a beginner bike is a mistake that probably kills a few people every year. Hell- even my old fz6 (which I could walk gsxrs in the same displacement catagory :) ) was no beginner bike and I hope no one reads your posts and thinks that these bikes won't bite you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
And to the OP read the reviews see the features and make up your own mind. You don't need us to "convince you"

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've owned both and here's my take on the bikes.
Let's try an analogy: If these bikes (street 3 and 09) were sisters you'd have the good sister (street 3), who's hair is always perfect, she's always nice and polite, she never looks disheveled, everything about her has a place and everything is in it's place. She's always predictable, she always does what she's told and she does it all well. You can always count on her to be virtuous and honorable. She does everything SO good that it's tuff to find a flaw in her.
Now to the other sister (09). She's never quite as refined, nor is she as perfect or as predictable as her good sister (the street 3). She's more of the dirty, sultry, slutty sister that you wish you were dating. Maybe in the eyes of some she's not as pretty... but damn it, she's a heck of a lot more fun. She'll be as nasty as you want her to be and then some. She'll take you to the edge and scare the peanuts out of your M&M's. She'll ride you as hard as you ride her.... and then when she's had her way with you and you're exhausted from screaming her name... you'll still be smiling.

And in the end my friend, when it's all said and done... to me it's all about the smiles.
That seals it then.Always go for the slutty sister.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts